TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

time2work

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 7, 2020
Does anyone recommend applying to direct TCs even if they come from a non-law background and lack legal work experience ? For context, I am currently working full time and studying the SQE/PGDL part-time and have work experience but not particularly strong experience in the legal field. Any help appreciated :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does anyone recommend applying to direct TCs even if they come from a non-law background and lack legal work experience ? For context, I am currently working full time and studying the SQE/PGDL part-time and have work experience but not particularly strong experience in the legal field. Any help appreciated :)
    This thread made by @AvniD might be helpful.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting for OC (London) to respond post-AC (stage 1)?
    Have you logged back in to the apply4law portal and checked there’s been no response - sometimes emails end up in junk folders that auto delete.

I know people have heard back already but stage 2 ACs are still on going.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Have you logged back in to the apply4law portal and checked there’s been no response - sometimes emails end up in junk folders that auto delete.

I know people have heard back already but stage 2 ACs are still on going.
    Thanks.. Ive checked both but nothing. Am expecting a PFO as London ACs finish tomorrow.

Lawyered

Standard Member
    Mar 4, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    I was offered a place for a vacation scheme at one my favourite law firms. I am at my second cycle of applications and I have never received an offer, so I really need this opportunity... but, I recently (not even 2 weeks ago) got a new job, not an entry level job, but a good job in consultancy. Neither placement option would suit my calendar at the moment: the spring vac. scheme might be an option but it is too early to ask for days off at the new job - it may be seen very badly be the new emoloyer; the summer scheme is too long and too close to my project's final dealdline....
    Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation or has any advice?
    I'm really sad atm and any help is appreciated 😥

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    I was offered a place for a vacation scheme at one my favourite law firms. I am at my second cycle of applications and I have never received an offer, so I really need this opportunity... but, I recently (not even 2 weeks ago) got a new job, not an entry level job, but a good job in consultancy. Neither placement option would suit my calendar at the moment: the spring vac. scheme might be an option but it is too early to ask for days off at the new job - it may be seen very badly be the new emoloyer; the summer scheme is too long and too close to my project's final dealdline....
    If this job isn’t your career but the vac scheme could potentially get you a TC which would then start your career I don’t see the harm in asking for the days off at your new job I was in a similar situation last year and I told my employer and they were fine with it. They would prefer someone to take them off and be honest than to call in sick for example

don’t be sad my inbox is always open congratulations on the VS xx

• 🤝
    • Love
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Lawyered

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker, if a firm is holding 3 different vac schemes in April, June and July, each with 10 people, is it possible that I will be disadvantaged if I do the July one, i.e. if they've given out the vast majority of their TCs by that point? Or do firms typically assess everyone before handing out TCs?
    No - it won't work like that. The firm won't risk over offering people for fear of missing out on the strongest candidates in the last scheme.

Reactions: sakaesr99

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    You have annual leave so use it! The only thing I would caveat in this situation is to check your current employment contract - can you work elsewhere i.e. can you do a vac scheme or will you have to ask for permission. It’s not unusual to have a clause either in your employment contact or t&c’s to say you cannot have paid employment elsewhere or you cannot do so without written permission.

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    Yes - you can renege on an offer easily. The only time it will become an issue is if you are taking any form of financial support from the firm, and that includes you being signed up to the GDL/LPC/SQE courses. As soon as onboarding processes for those courses happen, if the firm is paying for it directly, you may be liable for those costs (even if you don’t start the course).

I don’t think it will make any difference which dates you go for in all honesty.
    Thank you so much for all your help :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.