TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

22.m

Jan 17, 2022
Any advice would be appreciated...

I had an AC 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. They didn't give an indication of timeframe during the AC, and I didn't ask. If I am successful, and they ask me to do the Spring scheme, it starts in just over a month. I have already accepted another scheme in the Spring, and whilst there isn't a clash, to complete both in April I would have to take a significant amount of time out of my studies (3 weeks).

Is this grounds to email the firm I'm waiting on to ask when I might hear back? If so, would mentioning I have another offer be detrimental. I don't want it to come across as though I'm trying to pressure them or anything, it will be genuinely beneficial for me to know as soon as possible.

Thank you guys :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice would be appreciated...

I had an AC 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. They didn't give an indication of timeframe during the AC, and I didn't ask. If I am successful, and they ask me to do the Spring scheme, it starts in just over a month. I have already accepted another scheme in the Spring, and whilst there isn't a clash, to complete both in April I would have to take a significant amount of time out of my studies (3 weeks).

Is this grounds to email the firm I'm waiting on to ask when I might hear back? If so, would mentioning I have another offer be detrimental. I don't want it to come across as though I'm trying to pressure them or anything, it will be genuinely beneficial for me to know as soon as possible.

Thank you guys :)
Call them - its not an issue to do so and explain you are trying to balance your time with other schemes and academic commitments.

Reactions: 22.m

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long do law firms generally give you to accept a TC offer following a vac scheme? :)
Depends on the firm and also what stage of your academics you are at.

There is a voluntary "code of best recruitment practice" that says you should get 4 weeks to accept (unless the start date of the TC is imminent) if you are in your final year of your undergraduate degree or beyond, and that if you are in your penultimate year you should get until mid September as you go into your final year of your undergraduate degree.

The code is completely voluntary though and so many firms don't abide by it and will ask you to accept within days of receiving the offer.

Reactions: A92167!8

A92167!8

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 6, 2020
I have 2 vacation schemes (was thinking for firm A dates 6-18 June and firm B 18-29 July). I don't know how long firm A give people to accept a TC offer and I'm stressed about the possibility (I know this is very forward thinking) that I do get an offer from firm A and they only give a few weeks to make the decision as this would be before I complete firm B's vacation scheme.

I'm not really sure what to do @Jessica Booker. Firm B have earlier dates of 20 June - July but I'm still worried about a similar thing happening if firm A only give a couple weeks decision time. Is it worth contacting firm A to ask them how long they give (I'm worried about this looking bad).

Just to add I am a graduate who is currently working atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: deckoking123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have 2 vacation schemes (was thinking for firm A dates 6-18 June and firm B 18-29 July). I don't know how long firm A give people to accept a TC offer and I'm stressed about the possibility (I know this is very forward thinking) that I do get an offer and they only give a few weeks to make the decision as this would be before I complete firm B's vacation scheme.

I'm not really sure what to do @Jessica Booker. Firm B have earlier dates of 20 June - July but I'm still worried about a similar thing happening if firm A only give a couple weeks decision time. Is it worth contacting firm A to ask them how long they give (I'm worried about this looking bad).

Just to add I am a graduate who is currently working atm.
This happens every year to lots of people - I’d advise not to worry about it. But there is no need to contact the firm at this stage - I’ll be frank that is getting very ahead of yourself.

If and when this happens, you can:

1) ask the firm for an extension of your offer and they could offer you this.

2) you accept the offer and then renege it at a later date if you get another offer that you prefer (you’d just need to be mindful if there is an expectation you start your law school in the September of 2022, your onboarding for that could start as early as July though).

Reactions: AvniD

A92167!8

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 6, 2020
This happens every year to lots of people - I’d advise not to worry about it. But there is no need to contact the firm at this stage - I’ll be frank that is getting very ahead of yourself.

If and when this happens, you can:

1) ask the firm for an extension of your offer and they could offer you this.

2) you accept the offer and then renege it at a later date if you get another offer that you prefer (you’d just need to be mindful if there is an expectation you start your law school in the September of 2022, your onboarding for that could start as early as July though).
Thank you! Are you allowed to renege after accepting a TC offer? I think part of the reason I'm getting ahead of myself is because I thought might not be able to / get into trouble

And 2) do you think it is a better idea to do the dates which are closer together to avoid any issues? Those would be Firm A 6-18 June and Firm B 20 June - 1 July, rather than a month gap between them.

Civ457

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2022
If you are still waiting for places post online tests/ getting holding emails is that a bad sign at this stage? It is my first application cycle so I don't know whether to just prepare myself for PFOs from the places I haven't heard back from yet (I already know that the firms have sent out some AC offers too)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Are you allowed to renege after accepting a TC offer? I think part of the reason I'm getting ahead of myself is because I thought might not be able to / get into trouble

And 2) do you think it is a better idea to do the dates which are closer together to avoid any issues? Those would be Firm A 6-18 June and Firm B 20 June - 1 July, rather than a month gap between them.
Yes - you can renege on an offer easily. The only time it will become an issue is if you are taking any form of financial support from the firm, and that includes you being signed up to the GDL/LPC/SQE courses. As soon as onboarding processes for those courses happen, if the firm is paying for it directly, you may be liable for those costs (even if you don’t start the course).

I don’t think it will make any difference which dates you go for in all honesty.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker
I haven't asked you a question but I just want to say thanks for your very clear and helpful answers on this forum!! It has helped me gain a better insight not into just application tips but also in how recruiters think and consider applications throughout the placement process. Thanks again!!
Angus.
Awwww shucks ☺️!

Love messages like this, really make my day

Morgan Freeman Naacp GIF by BET

Most probably will depend on the firm but is there a general weighting that can be presumed of the tasks in an AC? Feel as though my partner interview went really well but my written task was slightly short with poor timing. Any ideas would be great

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Most probably will depend on the firm but is there a general weighting that can be presumed of the tasks in an AC? Feel as though my partner interview went really well but my written task was slightly short with poor timing. Any ideas would be great
It may not even have a weighting of each task. It could be slightly more sophisticated than there were different competencies/strengths are assessed across different assessments, and combined where they are assessed more than once.

It’s also unlikely you will need to have a perfect performance in any assessment. And even if you did, your written exercise being short, isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I don’t think it’s productive trying to second guess these things when there are so many parts you won’t have sight of. I’d just wait for the outcome/feedback to get a better idea of how things were actually perceived/assessed.

It may not even have a weighting of each task. It could be slightly more sophisticated than there were different competencies/strengths are assessed across different assessments, and combined where they are assessed more than once.

It’s also unlikely you will need to have a perfect performance in any assessment. And even if you did, your written exercise being short, isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I don’t think it’s productive trying to second guess these things when there are so many parts you won’t have sight of. I’d just wait for the outcome/feedback to get a better idea of how things were actually perceived/assessed.
Thank you! That's so helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.