TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi! Since this is my first vac scheme in the summer, I'm not really sure if there is a best way to sort out accommodation. It's in London, and the firm told me I could try living in hotels near the office or contact London universities to live in their halls during the scheme. All options are very very spenny and I know it's because it's London, but for anyone who's done previous vac schemes and didn't live in London, is there a specific accommodation near Barbican/where all the firms are that you would recommend? Or do most people just bite the bullet and live a bit further away and commute every day by bus/tube?
    Having lived in London my whole life, I would recommend looking at accomodation that is further out, but has good transport links. It will be way less expensive and allow you to get into the office fairly quickly. Travel will cost you, but you may be able to get your firm to reimburse you for travel. Also getting a weekly travelcard will cut down on expenses and allow you some freedom with buses/tubes/other public transport.

Lawyered

Standard Member
    Mar 4, 2021
    If this job isn’t your career but the vac scheme could potentially get you a TC which would then start your career I don’t see the harm in asking for the days off at your new job I was in a similar situation last year and I told my employer and they were fine with it. They would prefer someone to take them off and be honest than to call in sick for example

don’t be sad my inbox is always open congratulations on the VS xx
    You have annual leave so use it! The only thing I would caveat in this situation is to check your current employment contract - can you work elsewhere i.e. can you do a vac scheme or will you have to ask for permission. It’s not unusual to have a clause either in your employment contact or t&c’s to say you cannot have paid employment elsewhere or you cannot do so without written permission.
    Have you considered asking the firm to interview you for a direct TC instead (if they offer that route)?
    I am literally in an identical situation.
    Received a vac scheme offer for summer which I was able to negotiate prior to accepting my role which will start end of March.
    I then received another vac scheme offer for April.
    The new job starting in March is really good so I don't want to ask them for more time off already. I called the firm and explained that I want to accept the vac scheme for Spring, but only closer to signing my contract date will I be able to mention this to my new job employer. I then asked it, as a worst case scenario, I can't obtain the vac scheme, whether I can postpone it to next year. The recruitment team was exceptionally kind and understanding and said that they will allow it.
    I think it's up to you what you feel comfortable with doing though!

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences :) I will try to ask my employer, but it won't be easy, unfortunately I live abroad and the general culture, in my experience, in consulting here, is that people don't take annual leave outside december or august (I know, not fair: if you have annual leave then you should be able to use it whenever you'd like... not that easy though here..). For most people in my sector and workplace, asking for holidays straight away outside those periods and in the mid. of a project will look bad... and I am afraid it may unconsciously affect my performance reviews. I guess I'll have to rely on my senior manager's empathy.

In the meantime, I will contact grad. recruitment in order to explain my situation and ask for alternative solutions in case I would not manage to get time off work for the VS.
    Thank you very much again for your replies :)

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    I just finished an AC with one firm yesterday for a summer vac scheme but the dates coincide with TWO of my other summer vac schemes. Although I really liked the firm from yesterday (over the other one) and I felt it went quite well, I believe that the experience I'll gain over the other two schemes and the likelihood of converting between the two is better for my chances! The firm for yesterday informed me it'll get back in approximately two weeks and they do have a direct TC route!

Should I email them if I could be considered for the direct TC route now or after if I get offered the summer scheme as if they reject me, it won't entirely matter? If so, how should I approach this and when (the sooner or better or after they've done all their remaining ACs next week to improve my chances?

(I've already accepted the two other schemes and signed the written agreement as I was offered those a long time before I was invited to this AC!)

Any help is appreciated and @Jessica Booker as a recruiter, which option is best practice for the candidate?

Reactions: George Maxwell

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    I have an AC in which I need to present my thoughts on a recent news story (since 1 March). The issue is, all there is atm is Ukraine. How risky is it to choose this, especially considering they do a lot of energy work & so while this story does make sense, I feel it may be too 'obvious'? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! Since this is my first vac scheme in the summer, I'm not really sure if there is a best way to sort out accommodation. It's in London, and the firm told me I could try living in hotels near the office or contact London universities to live in their halls during the scheme. All options are very very spenny and I know it's because it's London, but for anyone who's done previous vac schemes and didn't live in London, is there a specific accommodation near Barbican/where all the firms are that you would recommend? Or do most people just bite the bullet and live a bit further away and commute every day by bus/tube?
    Living very centrally will be expensive for short term lets, especially if you are only looking at Barbican (there won’t really be any need to be that close to the office in all honesty).

The cheapest tends to be the halls of residence, particularly Queen Mary or City University.

Alternatively look at major transport hubs outside of Zones 1 and even 2. For instance, places like East Croydon will be cheaper and will have fast trains going into Victoria and London Bridge every few minutes. Stratford will be another major transport hub to consider, especially if the firms are based at the east end of the City/Canary Wharf.

Airbnbs can be a good shout, especially outside of zones 1 or 2.

I know some people who have contacted major budget hire chains like Premier Inn and have seen if they can get a discounted rate for a 2-3 week stay and in some locations, that can sometimes be the cheapest option.

Edit - just had a look at Premier Inn at East Croydon vs the one in Farringdon, and it was less than a third of the price for a week of that in Farringdon (about £320 a week instead of £1050). I suspect if you called them up you might get a cheaper rate for a long stay too.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just finished an AC with one firm yesterday for a summer vac scheme but the dates coincide with TWO of my other summer vac schemes. Although I really liked the firm from yesterday (over the other one) and I felt it went quite well, I believe that the experience I'll gain over the other two schemes and the likelihood of converting between the two is better for my chances! The firm for yesterday informed me it'll get back in approximately two weeks and they do have a direct TC route!

Should I email them if I could be considered for the direct TC route now or after if I get offered the summer scheme as if they reject me, it won't entirely matter? If so, how should I approach this and when (the sooner or better or after they've done all their remaining ACs next week to improve my chances?

(I've already accepted the two other schemes and signed the written agreement as I was offered those a long time before I was invited to this AC!)

Any help is appreciated and @Jessica Booker as a recruiter, which option is best practice for the candidate?
    I’d wait until the outcome and if it is successful, explain you’d need to give up multiple schemes to attend theirs, which unfortunately you’d rather not do (that you’d be happy to renege on one, but having to renege on two is something you won’t consider). Then ask whether there is any flexibility on:

- vacation scheme dates - can they provide alternative dates or a shortened scheme that might mean you could renege on only one of your two other offers to attend their scheme.
    - being considered for a direct TC place/recruitment process instead

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell, AvniD and 21wajsz

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I have an AC in which I need to present my thoughts on a recent news story (since 1 March). The issue is, all there is atm is Ukraine. How risky is it to choose this, especially considering they do a lot of energy work & so while this story does make sense, I feel it may be too 'obvious'? Thank you!
    I'd say there's two approaches to this.

On the one hand, thought it might feel like the only news at the moment is Ukraine, that's not true. There is plenty of action happening in other parts of the world, across sectors and industries. Just try having a browse through some of the sub-categories on a news site, for instance.

On the other hand, if you do choose to focus on the Ukraine (which I don't think is necessarily too obvious), maybe think if you can focus on a particular aspect of the conflict. For example, reactions by major energy companies, sanctions placed on banks or Russian oligarchs and what the impact of that is, the rise in grain prices, etc. Just try to focus on a slightly more specific part of (or impacts of) the conflict.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Focus in on how it is impacting a particular industry/market/jurisdiction rather than talk about or broadly - it’s too big a topic to talk about it well in an interview, you will just get into vague/generic cliches. However, if you focus on the impact of something particular, your answer will show more precision in thinking.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I know this has been asked a few times but can anybody please direct me to the interview question resources on here? Thank you so much
    Is this helpful, or are you looking for something more specific?

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    Travers Smith final interview! Got the holding email yesterday and was convinced it would be followed by a rejection, and then got the call a few hours later!! They haven’t given any details about what to expect, so if anyone could please provide any tips I would really appreciate it :)
    Prepare for philosophical questions! I had a lot of fun in my interview - not sure if it's changed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.