TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Say you fail the GDL and hence don’t meet the conditions of your TC offer, are you likely to have to pay back your maintenance grant and fees 😅😅
It isn't unknown, unfortunately. However, many firms will just write the value off.

Look at the terms of your offer clearly, as any terms regarding something like this will be covered. If it isn't covered, you can't be made to pay it back.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Go for it! I would be quite brief while talking about your interest in football because you don't want to go off-topic but linking deals back to why they interest you is always a good thing.
    Thank you very much for this.

That is what I am trying to avoid as I am trying to avoid discussing it too much and then not being related to the firm.

Also as this acquisition did not get approved last year and then the acquisition got approved the second time by the Premier League do you think I can discuss that and the impact of that and how that interested me in this deal.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I feel like Travers should either go rolling, or move their deadline closer to just after the new year. As a student, it just feels a little too close to exams with AC's being in mid later March, not sure how other students feel about it?
    I have no hopes with Travers Smith always every year but we will see what happens.

• 🤝
    Reactions: djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much I really found this deal interesting as am a big football fan.
    Just be mindful that you need to show your interest in a variety of matters/clients/sectors. Sometimes when people focus on something they are interested in that aligns with their personal interests, there can just be a question as to how interested in you will be on the matters you don't have an affiliation with. Therefore try to focus on why the legal work is interesting rather than just the topic.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I’ve had to use my annual leave for my scheme, for three weeks my tax is about to go through the roof. I also now have two days off until December so that’s fun
    Yes I probably should have caveated my answer to say the only reason I got unpaid leave is all my annual leave had been used up due to LPC exams, who needs an actual break anyway. If I had annual leave allowance left I would have been expected to use that.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi! Since this is my first vac scheme in the summer, I'm not really sure if there is a best way to sort out accommodation. It's in London, and the firm told me I could try living in hotels near the office or contact London universities to live in their halls during the scheme. All options are very very spenny and I know it's because it's London, but for anyone who's done previous vac schemes and didn't live in London, is there a specific accommodation near Barbican/where all the firms are that you would recommend? Or do most people just bite the bullet and live a bit further away and commute every day by bus/tube?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Just be mindful that you need to show your interest in a variety of matters/clients/sectors. Sometimes when people focus on something they are interested in that aligns with their personal interests, there can just be a question as to how interested in you will be on the matters you don't have an affiliation with. Therefore try to focus on why the legal work is interesting rather than just the topic.
    Yes I know.

I agree with this as having an interest in different sectors is important. Yes I know I am focusing on the legal aspect and its impact on the law firm.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi! Since this is my first vac scheme in the summer, I'm not really sure if there is a best way to sort out accommodation. It's in London, and the firm told me I could try living in hotels near the office or contact London universities to live in their halls during the scheme. All options are very very spenny and I know it's because it's London, but for anyone who's done previous vac schemes and didn't live in London, is there a specific accommodation near Barbican/where all the firms are that you would recommend? Or do most people just bite the bullet and live a bit further away and commute every day by bus/tube?
    Maybe if you know who else is going to be on the vac scheme you could try going splitsies on an AirBnB? Alternatively look in Facebook groups, there will be plenty of people going home for the summer putting their rooms up for a discounted price.

Reactions: George Maxwell

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    You could try a budget hotel such as Travel Lodge, and see whether they’d do a deal for a slightly longer stay than their average customer.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.