TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Does anyone know if the commercial awareness part of Taylor Wessing AC is a written exercise or an oral exercise? I have been receiving mixed info and not sure if i should email grad rec
Just because it was oral or written for one person doesn’t mean it will be the same for yourself. TW ACs have been running for a little while and continue over the next few weeks so I wouldn’t be surprised if they had various different commercial exercises over that time to protect the integrity of the process. By all means email grad rec and ask but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t tell you as they don’t pre-release information and you are limited for how long you can prep during the AC.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
Does anyone know if the commercial awareness part of Taylor Wessing AC is a written exercise or an oral exercise? I have been receiving mixed info and not sure if i should email grad rec
You get given a written brief and you read it/think about answers to questions and then interviewers come in and you present/give your answers to them etc

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

jungkook

Jul 27, 2021
You get given a written brief and you read it/think about answers to questions and then interviewers come in and you present/give your answers to them etc
Thank you, so it’s in an oral format for you right? that’s the impression I got as well. It would be strange if some are tested on their written skills and others are not, so I think it should be a uniform format. Although some people told me they remember it to be a written exercise.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I know there’s nothing I can do right now but wait for the law firms to respond (whether it is a rejection or acceptance), but I still can’t help but constantly think about applications and just anxiously awaiting every email/call. How do I take my mind off it? It’s my first cycle and it’s been so stressful :’(

i sympathise - it absolutely is an emotional rollercoaster!

some ideas based on things i’ve done this week - go watch something absolutely terrifying or thigh-slapping funny; strenuous exercise always helps me get my mind off things (i can’t think of anything when i’m running long distances); spend time with people you care about and who may not mind if you decide to vent about your applications; eat taco bell!!

i’m sure others have better insight - we are here for you, friend!

Last edited:

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hey! Very similar question haha but did you happen to hear back from Sidley post-interview, and if so how long did it take?

Thanks! :)
Hi! Yes, I did - my interview was on Monday (February 21), and I heard back on Tuesday (March 1) the following week. But I chased them a bit tbh (I emailed them on Friday (February 25) to ask when I can expect to receive feedback/hear back in regard to the outcome)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I know there’s nothing I can do right now but wait for the law firms to respond (whether it is a rejection or acceptance), but I still can’t help but constantly think about applications and just anxiously awaiting every email/call. How do I take my mind off it? It’s my first cycle and it’s been so stressful :’(
You're already anxious, don't add the pressure of the need to stop feeling anxious on top of it.

Accept you're nervous/anxious and give yourself some space to feel your emotions. Try and do non-law things or things that distract you productively so you still feel like you're doing something. Exercise, pursuing a hobby, picking up a new hobby etc. may help.

I painted some pretty horrendous artwork for the two weeks that I was waiting to hear from my firm and while I absolutely littered my parents' house with them, they did help take my mind off and focus my anxiety towards something that wasn't related to applications.

Wishing you the best 😇

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
I'm confused as to how I should communicate to grad rec about multiple vac scheme offers. Please can anyone provide guidance?

I have vac scheme offers from firm A and firm B. Firm B offered a place which runs from the second to fourth week of july (dates already confirmed).

Firm A's vac scheme was advertised as a july scheme. Was planning to ask firm B to transfer me to their june scheme (third week of june to first week of july) so i can still join firm A in july. I called firm A to check if the dates clash with firm B's scheme. They said that exact scheme dates have not been confirmed and that I should just be ready to join firm A's scheme from 1st july if I choose to accept the offer.

When I asked about firm A's scheme dates, i did mention that it was because im trying to decide between two offers, that I am still keen on joining firm A, and would like to see if the dates clash so I can finalise which scheme(s) to join. I also mentioned that I have until 11 March to give firm B a final decision. Firm A sent me a formal offer letter, but on the letter says the scheme is from June to July (but no exact dates) - which made me even more confused. It's been several days but I've had no response about my query about scheme dates. I may call them again on Monday to explain that I don't think I can accept the offer if I don't know the exact duration that I am committing to firm A - is this something reasonable to ask for? I don't want to come across as pushy or irritating :'(

I spoke to a friend (who's in engineering, not law) about this the other day and he said that maybe I shouldn't have disclosed to firm A about having an offer from another firm, as it may make firm A think that i value them less, and thus look less committed to the role. He said that I could have just asked for scheme dates without telling them that I have another offer.

I explained to him that:
- in law, it's common for candidates to rotate between multiple firms in one summer because our schemes are much shorter (unlike internships/summer placements in other industries that typically stretch beyond 4 weeks?). so grad rec at law firms are normally aware that candidates often have to decide between competing offers, so it probably doesn't surprise them when candidates ask for an early response or for more information whilst being transparent about competing offers
- I have a deadline to accept the offer from firm B, so i really needed firm A to confirm scheme dates soon for me to make a decision. if i don't tell firm A about my offer from firm B, i wouldn't be able to explain why I need a response so urgently.

However, his comment did make me doubt whether I'm making a bad impression with firm A, which is why I'm wondering:
1. What is 'best practice' when it comes to communicating to grad rec about these things? Is being transparent about having other offers the best way to go about it? Or is there generally no need to disclose info about other offers (unless grad rec asks)?
2. Does transparency help take the guesswork out from grad rec's end (i.e. they know to expedite review of your application because they are aware that you are under pressure from another firm to make a decision) or does having this information make no difference for grad rec?

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
My best advice will be to fill your time with other things like sports, hobbies, time with loved ones, studies, Netflix, Fifa, there’s a lot.. or maybe you can spend time improving your commercial awareness. You’re gonna be okay!

• 🤝
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.