TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Hill Dickinson VI invite! Can't tell if it's live with a real life person or automated? Would appreciate some insight
    Hi there! Congrats. I can't speak to this year's cycle, but last year I did my interview live with a senior associate and a GR member. The AC was literally just an assessment on camera, no interview at all. Could be different this year though!

Reactions: ssolicitorz

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying a nice Friday afternoon.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Baker McKenzie's Assessment Day? I've got mine on the 15th of March and really want to perform well, so would love any tips or insights anyone has.

Thanks so much :)
    I did their AC last month so feel free to PM me!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Does anyone know how the NQ hiring market is viewing people who qualify through the SQE with qualifying work experience from top firms? I'm still on the TC hunt, but now that I've got a good gig in private practice I'm kind of tempted to just ride this out, as I could hypothetically qualify two years from right now as opposed to in the 3-4 it would take even if I get a TC this cycle.

@Jessica Booker, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , @WillkieGemma, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does anyone know how the NQ hiring market is viewing people who qualify through the SQE with qualifying work experience from top firms? I'm still on the TC hunt, but now that I've got a good gig in private practice I'm kind of tempted to just ride this out, as I could hypothetically qualify two years from right now as opposed to in the 3-4 it would take even if I get a TC this cycle.

@Jessica Booker, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , @WillkieGemma, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    This is a really good question and I want to know this also.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s too early for the NQ market yet unfortunately as no one has qualified via the SQE route yet.

The earliest this will be is late this summer, and even then we are looking at probably around 500 people who will qualify, many who are international qualified lawyers just looking to get dual qualified, and who won’t be looking at NQ roles.

Ultimately though, the ability to enter the NQ market will be driven by your work as a trainee (or what would be your qualifying work experience). If this is not of a similar (or higher) standard as the firm’s own trainees qualifying internally, I think it is highly unlikely you will find opportunities to come in as a NQ in all honesty. That is no different to the system now though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Rob93, BM99 and djqb

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    It’s too early for the NQ market yet unfortunately as no one has qualified via the SQE route yet.

The earliest this will be is late this summer, and even then we are looking at probably around 500 people who will qualify, many who are international qualified lawyers just looking to get dual qualified, and who won’t be looking at NQ roles.

Ultimately though, the ability to enter the NQ market will be driven by your work as a trainee (or what would be your qualifying work experience). If this is not of a similar (or higher) standard as the firm’s own trainees qualifying internally, I think it is highly unlikely you will find opportunities to come in as a NQ in all honesty. That is no different to the system now though.
    Fair enough. So ideally the goal would be, by the end of 2 years' paralegal work, to have spent meaningful time doing high-level trainee work with a view to transitioning to qualification?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fair enough. So ideally the goal would be, by the end of 2 years' paralegal work, to have spent meaningful time doing high-level trainee work with a view to transitioning to qualification?
    It’s not just about the level of responsibilities in all honesty. It’s also working with the type of clients, and on similar size/complexity of matters. This is how it works now, and I don’t expect that to change much.

I think the big difference with the SQE will be a question over why you don’t secure a NQ role within the firm you are working with. This type of question happens now for training contracts, but I think the emphasis becomes much bigger. If ultimately you can work as a qualified lawyer but the firm you are working for won’t recognise you as one, I think other firms will have a big question as to why that is the case.

Obviously once you have a qualified lawyer role within a firm, then it will be easier to move. But basically moving from a paralegal job title to a qualified lawyer one I think it’s going to be super tricky. I think you’d have to have a set of extraordinary circumstances.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Rob93

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It’s not just about the level of responsibilities in all honesty. It’s also working with the type of clients, and on similar size/complexity of matters. This is how it works now, and I don’t expect that to change much.

I think the big difference with the SQE will be a question over why you don’t secure a NQ role within the firm you are working with. This type of question happens now for training contracts, but I think the emphasis becomes much bigger. If ultimately you can work as a qualified lawyer but the firm you are working for won’t recognise you as one, I think other firms will have a big question as to why that is the case.

Obviously once you have a qualified lawyer role within a firm, then it will be easier to move. But basically moving from a paralegal job title to a qualified lawyer one I think it’s going to be super tricky. I think you’d have to have a set of extraordinary circumstances.
    I agree with your final paragraph as the work of a paralegal is a lot different from the work of a trainee and also as an associate, you will not be supervised and if you did a paralegal role where you did not handle your own casework then it will be unlikely to be NQ. This is my opinion from experience as a paralegal.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I agree with your final paragraph as the work of a paralegal is a lot different from the work of a trainee and also as an associate, you will not be supervised and if you did a paralegal role where you did not handle your own casework then it will be unlikely to be NQ. This is my opinion from experience as a paralegal.
    Yeah I'm contemplating a very deliberate course of ratcheting up responsibilities over the next year or so, with a view to basically be working at NQ level by the point of qualification. It's early days so I haven't properly broached this point with my supervisors or HR, but it's the trajectory I'm aiming at.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

This makes sense. I'll be sure to communicate with my supervisors and HR to try and chart out an effective course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.