TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldafstudent

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2022
Hey everyone, I have an assessment centre coming up with Farrer & Co and was wondering what I could expect? I see the written assessment is only 30 mins and was wondering what it might entail.

Thanks in advance!

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Got this email from Winston & Strawn in case anyone else was wondering where the firm disappeared to:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for completing the critical thinking test as part of the application process for our summer vacation scheme. Please accept our apologies for the delay in receiving your outcome and note that we are still in the process of reviewing a high number of candidates and aim to get back to you by the end of next week.

Wishing you a lovely weekend,

Graduate Recruitment

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Hill Dickinson VI invite! Can't tell if it's live with a real life person or automated? Would appreciate some insight
    Hi there! Congrats. I can't speak to this year's cycle, but last year I did my interview live with a senior associate and a GR member. The AC was literally just an assessment on camera, no interview at all. Could be different this year though!

Reactions: ssolicitorz

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying a nice Friday afternoon.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Baker McKenzie's Assessment Day? I've got mine on the 15th of March and really want to perform well, so would love any tips or insights anyone has.

Thanks so much :)
    I did their AC last month so feel free to PM me!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Does anyone know how the NQ hiring market is viewing people who qualify through the SQE with qualifying work experience from top firms? I'm still on the TC hunt, but now that I've got a good gig in private practice I'm kind of tempted to just ride this out, as I could hypothetically qualify two years from right now as opposed to in the 3-4 it would take even if I get a TC this cycle.

@Jessica Booker, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , @WillkieGemma, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does anyone know how the NQ hiring market is viewing people who qualify through the SQE with qualifying work experience from top firms? I'm still on the TC hunt, but now that I've got a good gig in private practice I'm kind of tempted to just ride this out, as I could hypothetically qualify two years from right now as opposed to in the 3-4 it would take even if I get a TC this cycle.

@Jessica Booker, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , @WillkieGemma, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    This is a really good question and I want to know this also.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s too early for the NQ market yet unfortunately as no one has qualified via the SQE route yet.

The earliest this will be is late this summer, and even then we are looking at probably around 500 people who will qualify, many who are international qualified lawyers just looking to get dual qualified, and who won’t be looking at NQ roles.

Ultimately though, the ability to enter the NQ market will be driven by your work as a trainee (or what would be your qualifying work experience). If this is not of a similar (or higher) standard as the firm’s own trainees qualifying internally, I think it is highly unlikely you will find opportunities to come in as a NQ in all honesty. That is no different to the system now though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Rob93, BM99 and djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.