TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
It’s too early for the NQ market yet unfortunately as no one has qualified via the SQE route yet.

The earliest this will be is late this summer, and even then we are looking at probably around 500 people who will qualify, many who are international qualified lawyers just looking to get dual qualified, and who won’t be looking at NQ roles.

Ultimately though, the ability to enter the NQ market will be driven by your work as a trainee (or what would be your qualifying work experience). If this is not of a similar (or higher) standard as the firm’s own trainees qualifying internally, I think it is highly unlikely you will find opportunities to come in as a NQ in all honesty. That is no different to the system now though.
Fair enough. So ideally the goal would be, by the end of 2 years' paralegal work, to have spent meaningful time doing high-level trainee work with a view to transitioning to qualification?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fair enough. So ideally the goal would be, by the end of 2 years' paralegal work, to have spent meaningful time doing high-level trainee work with a view to transitioning to qualification?
It’s not just about the level of responsibilities in all honesty. It’s also working with the type of clients, and on similar size/complexity of matters. This is how it works now, and I don’t expect that to change much.

I think the big difference with the SQE will be a question over why you don’t secure a NQ role within the firm you are working with. This type of question happens now for training contracts, but I think the emphasis becomes much bigger. If ultimately you can work as a qualified lawyer but the firm you are working for won’t recognise you as one, I think other firms will have a big question as to why that is the case.

Obviously once you have a qualified lawyer role within a firm, then it will be easier to move. But basically moving from a paralegal job title to a qualified lawyer one I think it’s going to be super tricky. I think you’d have to have a set of extraordinary circumstances.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Rob93

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It’s not just about the level of responsibilities in all honesty. It’s also working with the type of clients, and on similar size/complexity of matters. This is how it works now, and I don’t expect that to change much.

I think the big difference with the SQE will be a question over why you don’t secure a NQ role within the firm you are working with. This type of question happens now for training contracts, but I think the emphasis becomes much bigger. If ultimately you can work as a qualified lawyer but the firm you are working for won’t recognise you as one, I think other firms will have a big question as to why that is the case.

Obviously once you have a qualified lawyer role within a firm, then it will be easier to move. But basically moving from a paralegal job title to a qualified lawyer one I think it’s going to be super tricky. I think you’d have to have a set of extraordinary circumstances.
    I agree with your final paragraph as the work of a paralegal is a lot different from the work of a trainee and also as an associate, you will not be supervised and if you did a paralegal role where you did not handle your own casework then it will be unlikely to be NQ. This is my opinion from experience as a paralegal.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I agree with your final paragraph as the work of a paralegal is a lot different from the work of a trainee and also as an associate, you will not be supervised and if you did a paralegal role where you did not handle your own casework then it will be unlikely to be NQ. This is my opinion from experience as a paralegal.
    Yeah I'm contemplating a very deliberate course of ratcheting up responsibilities over the next year or so, with a view to basically be working at NQ level by the point of qualification. It's early days so I haven't properly broached this point with my supervisors or HR, but it's the trajectory I'm aiming at.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

This makes sense. I'll be sure to communicate with my supervisors and HR to try and chart out an effective course.

jprfsx

Standard Member
    Feb 25, 2022
    Hello, I have a question that maybe doesn't belong on TCLA but I would appreciate any advice people have.

I am not particularly interested in Commercial/Corporate law but am more interested in Immigration/Family/Public Law and have applied to firms that offer these seats but many of which also have commercial seats and some of the application process is geared towards those areas. I have an AC for Irwin Mitchell and interview for Russell Cooke coming up which fit into this category.

Should I make clear where my interests lie? Should I be prepared to talk about corporate/commercial awareness at length? I am interested in current affairs and understand it well but I don't want to be disingenuous talking commercial deals etc when this isn't where my legal heart lies. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    I had my AC on Monday and am still waiting! They told us that we'd hear back within a few days/by the end of the week "because we were in the Monday group" so I was expecting something today latest but haven't heard anything yet :(
    I was in the Monday group too! Haven't heard back (not surprised as I absolutely bombed one of the scenarios) but I guess we'll find out next week then

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hello, I have a question that maybe doesn't belong on TCLA but I would appreciate any advice people have.

I am not particularly interested in Commercial/Corporate law but am more interested in Immigration/Family/Public Law and have applied to firms that offer these seats but many of which also have commercial seats and some of the application process is geared towards those areas. I have an AC for Irwin Mitchell and interview for Russell Cooke coming up which fit into this category.

Should I make clear where my interests lie? Should I be prepared to talk about corporate/commercial awareness at length? I am interested in current affairs and understand it well but I don't want to be disingenuous talking commercial deals etc when this isn't where my legal heart lies. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.
    I would be upfront about your interests. If you're really not keen on commercial work they'll likely sniff it out anyway, and even if they don't would you really be happy training at a firm where your passions aren't viewed as an asset?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Yeah I'm contemplating a very deliberate course of ratcheting up responsibilities over the next year or so, with a view to basically be working at NQ level by the point of qualification. It's early days so I haven't properly broached this point with my supervisors or HR, but it's the trajectory I'm aiming at.
    Good luck with it I hope they give you extra responsibility as you deserve it. You work so hard on applications and you deserve it.

Reactions: gdelle

Giovanna

Standard Member
  • Feb 12, 2021
    I was in the Monday group too! Haven't heard back (not surprised as I absolutely bombed one of the scenarios) but I guess we'll find out next week then
    Well it's reassuring to hear that it's not just me ahah! I have no idea how to tell how the scenarios went just because I have no idea what they're looking for specifically (and not to mention it was my first ever AC so I have even less of an idea) but I think the competency one went quite well so at least there's that? 😆

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Good luck with it I hope they give you extra responsibility as you deserve it. You work so hard on applications and you deserve it.
    Thanks man! Honestly I'm not banking on being able to do this, but I'm at a point where I'm trying to create my own opportunities. I know I'm cut out for the job but the formalised grad rec process evidently finds me lacking, so I figure best to be a bit enterprising.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is non-application but for all those who have graduations coming up are you lot graduating from BPP by any chance as I got my graduation in a few week's time also so was just wondering. Sorry for the non-application related question.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Thanks man! Honestly I'm not banking on being able to do this, but I'm at a point where I'm trying to create my own opportunities. I know I'm cut out for the job but the formalised grad rec process evidently finds me lacking, so I figure best to be a bit enterprising.
    I love your mindset keep at it and hopefully you will get your TC this year and I hope you do get your TC this application cycle.

Yes there is no harm in asking them to upgrade you.

Reactions: anon123456789

crispychicken

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 29, 2021

I am very into tax law, and I have previously been rejected by 3 firms post-AC because I was 'clearly only interested in tax law'.

I think you can talk about your interests in immigration/family/public law, but at the same time, you need to show that you are open-minded to all the other seats/practice areas that they offer.

Reactions: Rob93

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021

When discussing ‘why this firm’, you can discuss where your interests lie and have strong evidence for why these areas interest you and what the firm can offer you. But also come across as being open-minded about other areas. You might love family law now and after a TC, decide to qualify in clinical negligence, you never know!

I don’t know much about those firms but from my impression, they are full-service and although they may have a seat in corporate/commercial, the majority of their other seats seem to be in line with your interests. It’s also great that you mention immigration/family/public, it shows your interests aren’t tied to one specific practice area. The only issue I can think of is if the firm has a compulsory corporate seat and you come across as not wanting anything to do with corporate.

Regarding commercial awareness, that’s something to always be prepared for, but you can also relate news stories to other practice areas outside commercial. A news story can have implications for immigration whilst simultaneously affecting businesses. If anything, it shows you can approach things from a wide vantage point. Hope this helps!

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

A.Diane01

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Hi all,

I have secured a VS (hurrah!) however being a postgrad student it is the only one I’ll be able to do over summer as we don’t get a summer holiday & uni are kindly letting me attend the scheme.
    I’m now looking to apply to direct TC, but is it proper or ‘the thing to do’ to mention that I have secured a VS scheme at another firm on the applications? I’m not sure whether this is like an ‘ew’ thing to do or whether it demonstrates my commitment to the law (especially as a non-law student). What are peoples thoughts?

@Jessica Booker would you have any insight?

thanks in advance guys

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I have secured a VS (hurrah!) however being a postgrad student it is the only one I’ll be able to do over summer as we don’t get a summer holiday & uni are kindly letting me attend the scheme.
    I’m now looking to apply to direct TC, but is it proper or ‘the thing to do’ to mention that I have secured a VS scheme at another firm on the applications? I’m not sure whether this is like an ‘ew’ thing to do or whether it demonstrates my commitment to the law (especially as a non-law student). What are peoples thoughts?

@Jessica Booker would you have any insight?

thanks in advance guys
    Yes, I actively encourage people to add upcoming vacation schemes to somewhere in their application - usually great for brief references in motivational questions or “extra information” sections.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.