Proudest achievement

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

Thinking about the different questions that come up on applications, this one always trips me up. For the past two applications that I've answered this, I haven't been happy about my answer because I feel as if I'm shoe-horning a proud feeling I might have never felt or showing off. Essentially, I haven't been able to find a middle ground.

For those of you who've written a successful answer/application for the above, would you mind sharing tips/excerpts from your answer? I always find other examples extremely, extremely useful. Thank you :)

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
I haven't been happy about my answer because I feel as if I'm shoe-horning a proud feeling I might have never felt or showing off.

I think its totally okay to show off your achievements - the question is asking for your proudest achievement, so understandably it is likely to be an achievement that you would like to show off :)

At the same time, if you feel like you're forcing a feeling that you never felt, perhaps you've not picked something that was truly your proudest moment? It can be easy to mix up what you think is your most 'impressive' achievement with what was in fact your 'proudest' achievement.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Alice G and Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I think its totally okay to show off your achievements - the question is asking for your proudest achievement, so understandably it is likely to be an achievement that you would like to show off :)

At the same time, if you feel like you're forcing a feeling that you never felt, perhaps you've not picked something that was truly your proudest moment? It can be easy to mix up what you think is your most 'impressive' achievement with what was in fact your 'proudest' achievement.

Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion!

I definitely do try to push my more impressive achievement over my proudest achievement. But, in reality, my proudest achievement doesn't seem like much at all. It's about tenacity and self-motivation during my a-levels where I was in a bad place academically (meaning, I was a straight A student except in 1 subject, which almost meant I couldn't get into the uni of my "dreams"). This to me comes across as an achievement most aspiring lawyers can claim so doesn't seem spectacular. Would you suggest I dig deeper and find a different achievement?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion!

I definitely do try to push my more impressive achievement over my proudest achievement. But, in reality, my proudest achievement doesn't seem like much at all. It's about tenacity and self-motivation during my a-levels where I was in a bad place academically (meaning, I was a straight A student except in 1 subject, which almost meant I couldn't get into the uni of my "dreams"). This to me comes across as an achievement most aspiring lawyers can claim so doesn't seem spectacular. Would you suggest I dig deeper and find a different achievement?
I’ve used a very very similar example Hazal! I always state how I asked to be granted a higher prediction to apply to my dream uni and my teacher wouldn’t do it, I say how I used That setback to drive me forwards and I then achieved two grades higher than my prediction and was awarded for being the highest achieving student in politics at my school in a number of years. I think your example sounds like a good one and it’s authentic and true to you. I’ve also spoken about how I managed to get younger students involved in the school paper which saw the publication become more diverse and I often tie that into a firm’s specific diversity initiatives too! Those are a couple of my examples I’ve used and I think it’s about how you write about them also, allow your pride to shine in your writing :) as always, if you’d like to send me an example then please do! It sounds like you’re onto a winner!

Reactions: Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I’ve used a very very similar example Hazal! I always state how I asked to be granted a higher prediction to apply to my dream uni and my teacher wouldn’t do it, I say how I used That setback to drive me forwards and I then achieved two grades higher than my prediction and was awarded for being the highest achieving student in politics at my school in a number of years. I think your example sounds like a good one and it’s authentic and true to you. I’ve also spoken about how I managed to get younger students involved in the school paper which saw the publication become more diverse and I often tie that into a firm’s specific diversity initiatives too! Those are a couple of my examples I’ve used and I think it’s about how you write about them also, allow your pride to shine in your writing :) as always, if you’d like to send me an example then please do! It sounds like you’re onto a winner!
Hi Alice, your examples sound really good! I understand part of it is spinning it in a way where it doesn't sound commonplace and really highlighting the difficult and outstanding parts of the achievement instead of saying "I worked so hard I got the grade I wanted" haha. I think I will just have to practice the question, if it comes up in any future applications and see how it goes. Thank you for the offer to review, I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice, your examples sound really good! I understand part of it is spinning it in a way where it doesn't sound commonplace and really highlighting the difficult and outstanding parts of the achievement instead of saying "I worked so hard I got the grade I wanted" haha. I think I will just have to practice the question, if it comes up in any future applications and see how it goes. Thank you for the offer to review, I really appreciate it :)
I couldn’t agree with you more it’s very tricky indeed! And absolutely, any time at all :)

San

Standard Member
Jun 27, 2021
Hi, I am sort of struggling with the greatest/proudest achievement question too. One of the examples that I was planning to use was when I overcame my fear of public speaking by participating in a intra-university selection round for participating in moot court competitions. However, my concern is that this may be viewed as lacking confidence or inter-personal skills. What are your thoughts? Any help appreciated!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.