Proudest achievement

Discussion in 'Public Feedback Forum' started by Hazal, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Hazal

Hazal Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Guys,

Thinking about the different questions that come up on applications, this one always trips me up. For the past two applications that I've answered this, I haven't been happy about my answer because I feel as if I'm shoe-horning a proud feeling I might have never felt or showing off. Essentially, I haven't been able to find a middle ground.

For those of you who've written a successful answer/application for the above, would you mind sharing tips/excerpts from your answer? I always find other examples extremely, extremely useful. Thank you :)

2. Abstruser

Abstruser Legendary Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I think its totally okay to show off your achievements - the question is asking for your proudest achievement, so understandably it is likely to be an achievement that you would like to show off :)

At the same time, if you feel like you're forcing a feeling that you never felt, perhaps you've not picked something that was truly your proudest moment? It can be easy to mix up what you think is your most 'impressive' achievement with what was in fact your 'proudest' achievement.

Good luck!

#2 Abstruser, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Hazal

Hazal Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion!

I definitely do try to push my more impressive achievement over my proudest achievement. But, in reality, my proudest achievement doesn't seem like much at all. It's about tenacity and self-motivation during my a-levels where I was in a bad place academically (meaning, I was a straight A student except in 1 subject, which almost meant I couldn't get into the uni of my "dreams"). This to me comes across as an achievement most aspiring lawyers can claim so doesn't seem spectacular. Would you suggest I dig deeper and find a different achievement?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I’ve used a very very similar example Hazal! I always state how I asked to be granted a higher prediction to apply to my dream uni and my teacher wouldn’t do it, I say how I used That setback to drive me forwards and I then achieved two grades higher than my prediction and was awarded for being the highest achieving student in politics at my school in a number of years. I think your example sounds like a good one and it’s authentic and true to you. I’ve also spoken about how I managed to get younger students involved in the school paper which saw the publication become more diverse and I often tie that into a firm’s specific diversity initiatives too! Those are a couple of my examples I’ve used and I think it’s about how you write about them also, allow your pride to shine in your writing :) as always, if you’d like to send me an example then please do! It sounds like you’re onto a winner!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hazal

Hazal Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Alice, your examples sound really good! I understand part of it is spinning it in a way where it doesn't sound commonplace and really highlighting the difficult and outstanding parts of the achievement instead of saying "I worked so hard I got the grade I wanted" haha. I think I will just have to practice the question, if it comes up in any future applications and see how it goes. Thank you for the offer to review, I really appreciate it :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I couldn’t agree with you more it’s very tricky indeed! And absolutely, any time at all :)