What makes a successful Freshfields application?

Zain97

May 13, 2019
Hi all!

I hope you're well! :)

I've started to draft my personal statement for the Freshfields TC application cycle this summer.

I'm struggling to actually write. Various guidance and insights say why law, why Freshfields, why you with a 70% weighting to the 'you' bit but what does this actually mean?

If anyone who has been successful to get to AC stage can share how they structured or answered their PS for Freshfields, that'd be great, please!

Thanks!

:)

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
Hi all!

I hope you're well! :)

I've started to draft my personal statement for the Freshfields TC application cycle this summer.

I'm struggling to actually write. Various guidance and insights say why law, why Freshfields, why you with a 70% weighting to the 'you' bit but what does this actually mean?

If anyone who has been successful to get to AC stage can share how they structured or answered their PS for Freshfields, that'd be great, please!

Thanks!

Hey!

So I broke my personal statement down into four parts: (i) why commercial law, (ii) why Freshfields for me, (iii) distinguishing aspects of the Training Programme and (iv) why me.

I gave some-what equal weighting to each part but focused on part (iv) and tried to make my application stand out by giving a mixture of things I did in School (committee work, pro bono) and things I did outside school (Photography/Videography and Trekking mountains).

Personally, I spent 30% of my personal statement on the "why you" portion but always linked my responses to "why Freshfields" and "Freshfields' training programme" to my own personal experiences.

Hope that helps and all the best!!

Zain97

May 13, 2019
Hey!

So I broke my personal statement down into four parts: (i) why commercial law, (ii) why Freshfields for me, (iii) distinguishing aspects of the Training Programme and (iv) why me.

I gave some-what equal weighting to each part but focused on part (iv) and tried to make my application stand out by giving a mixture of things I did in School (committee work, pro bono) and things I did outside school (Photography/Videography and Trekking mountains).

Personally, I spent 30% of my personal statement on the "why you" portion but always linked my responses to "why Freshfields" and "Freshfields' training programme" to my own personal experiences.

Hey Raphael! Thanks for your insight.

In part (iv), when you talked about the things you did, how did you talk about them? Did you link them back to what trainees are expected to do or did you just talk about the things you did?

Thanks!

Zain97

May 13, 2019
Hey!

Hi Raphael,

Just wondering whether you had any advice on the above? ^ :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.