TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do GR expect you to post about incoming vac schemes.. I thanked them in an email but wasn’t sure if it would look bad to not post something on LinkedIn. Not something I really want to do but seems like everyone does it!
No expectation for you to do this.

Just because some people do it, doesn't mean you have to.

For everyone who likes these types of post, there is another person who cringes at them, so do what you feel comfortable doing.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Hi, does anyone have any tips for Ashurst’s online assessments? It would be greatly appreciated. The tests are as follows:

1) Cognify – will require you to complete a series of online games measuring your problem solving and analytical skills.

2) Values Fit – helps us to identify candidates who have similar values to Ashurst and our staff. This assessment looks at key work factors and the importance you give each one, ensuring the best cultural fit for both yourself and Ashurst.

3) Emotify – will require you to complete 2 games measuring your interpersonal skills, leadership potential and capability.

Thanks!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Bestkid98

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Hi, does anyone have any tips for Ashurst’s online assessments? It would be greatly appreciated. The tests are as follows:

1) Cognify – will require you to complete a series of online games measuring your problem solving and analytical skills.

2) Values Fit – helps us to identify candidates who have similar values to Ashurst and our staff. This assessment looks at key work factors and the importance you give each one, ensuring the best cultural fit for both yourself and Ashurst.

3) Emotify – will require you to complete 2 games measuring your interpersonal skills, leadership potential and capability.

Thanks!
    1) for cognify, I recommend downloading some of those Brain training games like Elevate. It’s literally a selection of games ripped straight from brain training Nintendo DS so that’s your best bet. And utilise the practice versions they give you tons of times over.

2) this is the easier one. Check the firms values / message some trainees and associates, and understand the firms values as a whole. Answer similar to what they suggest but also be honest to yourself. I think this is more just to test you’d be a nice person in the office!

3) this one is just stupid. You literally see a face and have to say which emotion it is. Sounds easy but they make it hard by giving you like 2 seconds to click which emotion it is. It’s another brain trainer game basically. The second section is a little more logical. You get a scenario and have to say what emotion the person in that scenario should be feeling. For this, it’s hard to practice. It’s really just common sense. If someone has been told they are fired, they are sad etc.

overall these are super unique tests. Hard to prepare for, but elevate and other brain trainers are your friend! And be honest, kind and friendly in your answers!

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    1) for cognify, I recommend downloading some of those Brain training games like Elevate. It’s literally a selection of games ripped straight from brain training Nintendo DS so that’s your best bet. And utilise the practice versions they give you tons of times over.

2) this is the easier one. Check the firms values / message some trainees and associates, and understand the firms values as a whole. Answer similar to what they suggest but also be honest to yourself. I think this is more just to test you’d be a nice person in the office!

3) this one is just stupid. You literally see a face and have to say which emotion it is. Sounds easy but they make it hard by giving you like 2 seconds to click which emotion it is. It’s another brain trainer game basically. The second section is a little more logical. You get a scenario and have to say what emotion the person in that scenario should be feeling. For this, it’s hard to practice. It’s really just common sense. If someone has been told they are fired, they are sad etc.

overall these are super unique tests. Hard to prepare for, but elevate and other brain trainers are your friend! And be honest, kind and friendly in your answers!
    This is really useful - thank you! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: rightletsdothis

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Say if I have a TC starting in 2024, will the firm be likely to allow me to take the SQE course in September 2022? What about at a location outside London if that's my preference due to personal circumstances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Say if I have a TC starting in 2024, will the firm be likely to allow me to take the SQE course in September 2022? What about at a location outside London if that's my preference due to personal circumstances?
    If they have an agreement to start such courses in 2022 (rather than 2023) then yes they might. Just be aware that the SQE2 exams are only sat in the UK though and that if they have a specific course, you might only be able to study it from within the UK.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    If they have an agreement to start such courses in 2022 (rather than 2023) then yes they might. Just be aware that the SQE2 exams are only sat in the UK though and that if they have a specific course, you might only be able to study it from within the UK.
    Thanks Jessica, yes I was thinking if it is possible that the firm would allow me to take the course in, say, Manchester or Cambridge, instead of London?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica, yes I was thinking if it is possible that the firm would allow me to take the course in, say, Manchester or Cambridge, instead of London?
    The course might only be running in London though - it really depends on who their provider is and how the course is delivered.

You can ask during the recruitment process though or when offered what their stance is on these things.

Reactions: AvniD and AAA_a

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I think practice areas and industry expertise are probably the best metric to use! I am not sure if intake size would be relevant to whether or not firms are competing and global growth strategy would be relevant if the firms are expanding into similar areas to one another, but there is probably a reason for expanding into those areas that comes back to the kind of work (i.e. practice area/industry) they would be doing in such locations.

Ultimately the firm's 'competitors' are other firms which will be competing for the same clients, which tends to come down to practice area and industry strengths. I hope that helps!
    Thank you @James Carrabino, you are an angel.

I am taking into account:
    1)increasing importance in x industry because of the firm's ability to extend its services from simple litigation to finance and can compete with MC firms.
    2) International strategy
    3) Growth plan with an increasing focus on tech.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.