TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Bit of a random question but I am learning a new language in an evening class once a week. Would it be useful to mention this in applications and if so, where would I mention it? Not too sure it counts as work experience
I wouldn’t put this in work experience as it isn’t work experience, it’s not a job or a voluntary role in any way. I would put this under hobbies, interests or extra curriculars or weave this into a competency question asking about skills either to talk about language skills or work ethic and commitment to development of skills or interest in diversity and culture etc.

Reactions: AvniD and cecily78900

GS0W

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 15, 2021
Has anyone actually been sent the link to do the VI for Shoosmiths? I got the email on Monday saying congrats on getting through to VI and that Ill be sent a link by 6th April, I havent been sent a link yet and I wasnt sure if it means that the link will be sent on the 6th and is to be completed on the 6th too?

Reactions: Sweety_512

Deobicaratexol0804

Standard Member
Feb 23, 2022
Hi,
If anybody is doing the NRF Summer Vac Scheme, did they send you a department guide? I didn't get one and I was wondering if anybody could email me it tonight - I've emailed NRF but they haven't replied and the deadline is soon. Please private message me and I'll give you my email.

Much love and thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@George Maxwell I start my vac scheme with HSF tomorrow and was just wondering what is an acceptable time to leave the office? How late should we be staying, and when is too early to leave?
I wouldn’t think of it as a fixed time.

You don’t need to stay for the sake of it. If you have work to do, then stay on or come in early the next morning, but I expect your supervisor will be telling you to go home at a certain point in the evening anyway (and for some that will be at 5.30pm).

Leaving at 5.30pm is fine if you are delivering the work you have been asked to do.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone actually been sent the link to do the VI for Shoosmiths? I got the email on Monday saying congrats on getting through to VI and that Ill be sent a link by 6th April, I havent been sent a link yet and I wasnt sure if it means that the link will be sent on the 6th and is to be completed on the 6th too?
If it says the link will be sent by 6th then I wouldn’t worry about it if you haven’t had it until 5.00pm on the sixth.

I am sure you will be given a deadline when the link is sent.

• 🤝
Reactions: GS0W

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    @George Maxwell I start my vac scheme with HSF tomorrow and was just wondering what is an acceptable time to leave the office? How late should we be staying, and when is too early to leave?
    Most Vac schemes tend to say 5:30 pm is leaving the office time. I think ultimately if you stay later is up to you and whether or not you have sufficient work to back those extra hours up! Supervisors definitely won't simply hire those who stay till 2 am every day. If you have work to do and think you need the extra hour in the office, stay! If you don't, ask your supervisor if they have any extra work/ if it's fine to leave, and head on home for some deserved rest!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.