• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Hi,

It would be great if anyone has any advice here.

I am in my third and final year of a law degree, but I am looking to become a paralegal for a year after I graduate. After that year of paralegalling, I would go travel for another year while applying for vs or tc.

Is there a point to apply for vs this year? I have asked law firms if they could defer a tc for two years, but that seems like a long shot. And I heard being rejected by a law firm for their vs in the ac stage means it would be harder to reapply, so if I get many ac rejections this year that could jeopardise my application in two years time.

I feel like I am missing out not applying for vs this year, but at the same time, its unpractical to do so.

Any advice would be great :)
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
Hi!

These can be found in the Workspace! If you have a look at the left-hand sidebar, and go to 'Experiences' under 'Track', you should find them there :)

Just shout if you have any trouble finding them!
 
Hi,

It would be great if anyone has any advice here.

I am in my third and final year of a law degree, but I am looking to become a paralegal for a year after I graduate. After that year of paralegalling, I would go travel for another year while applying for vs or tc.

Is there a point to apply for vs this year? I have asked law firms if they could defer a tc for two years, but that seems like a long shot. And I heard being rejected by a law firm for their vs in the ac stage means it would be harder to reapply, so if I get many ac rejections this year that could jeopardise my application in two years time.

I feel like I am missing out not applying for vs this year, but at the same time, its unpractical to do so.

Any advice would be great :)
Hi!

I think your instinct that applying this year may not be the most practical option is probably right, but ultimately it comes down to what you think is manageable. If you already know that you want to spend a year paralegalling after graduation and then travel for another year, I wouldn't feel pressured to apply for VS this year just because.

There can still be value in applying this year for the experience of going through the process, but I would weigh that against the time involved and, importantly, the fact that you may not actually be able to take up a TC from a VS if you are planning to defer for two years. I also wouldn't apply purely for the sake of having a VS on your CV if it means applying to firms that you are not genuinely in a position to join.

In terms of reapplying, firms have different policies, but I wouldn't be too concerned about one AC rejection automatically jeopardising a future application at the majority of firms. However, if you already know you are going to be in a much stronger position after a year of paralegalling, it could make more sense to use this time to build your experience and then apply when you are ready to commit to the process.

You can always use this year to prepare in other ways! For example, you could spend time researching the firms you might want to apply to, working out what type of firm and practice areas actually appeal to you, keeping up with commercial news and developing your commercial awareness, and gradually practising application questions and interviews. Then, when you are ready to apply after your paralegal year and travels, you won't be starting completely from scratch. You will also have the benefit of being able to draw on your paralegal experience when answering those questions, which could make your applications much stronger.

Ultimately, I would prioritise the route that makes sense for your longer-term plans rather than feeling like you have to follow a specific timeline. There's nothing wrong with applying when you are actually in a position to commit to the process, and there is plenty you can do in the meantime to prepare! :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: fishy fish
Hi!

I think your instinct that applying this year may not be the most practical option is probably right, but ultimately it comes down to what you think is manageable. If you already know that you want to spend a year paralegalling after graduation and then travel for another year, I wouldn't feel pressured to apply for VS this year just because.

There can still be value in applying this year for the experience of going through the process, but I would weigh that against the time involved and, importantly, the fact that you may not actually be able to take up a TC from a VS if you are planning to defer for two years. I also wouldn't apply purely for the sake of having a VS on your CV if it means applying to firms that you are not genuinely in a position to join.

In terms of reapplying, firms have different policies, but I wouldn't be too concerned about one AC rejection automatically jeopardising a future application at the majority of firms. However, if you already know you are going to be in a much stronger position after a year of paralegalling, it could make more sense to use this time to build your experience and then apply when you are ready to commit to the process.

You can always use this year to prepare in other ways! For example, you could spend time researching the firms you might want to apply to, working out what type of firm and practice areas actually appeal to you, keeping up with commercial news and developing your commercial awareness, and gradually practising application questions and interviews. Then, when you are ready to apply after your paralegal year and travels, you won't be starting completely from scratch. You will also have the benefit of being able to draw on your paralegal experience when answering those questions, which could make your applications much stronger.

Ultimately, I would prioritise the route that makes sense for your longer-term plans rather than feeling like you have to follow a specific timeline. There's nothing wrong with applying when you are actually in a position to commit to the process, and there is plenty you can do in the meantime to prepare! :)
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help 👍👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Would it be too late if I apply to Macfarlanes on the 27th? I think they warned against applying on the deadline day at their webinar, but I have an interview tomorrow and am working at the same time.
They are non-rolling, but the application form does not have any written questions. It is just personal info, academics and work experience. Stage 1 gets sent like the day after and you have 7 days to complete.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheHamlet4
hihi

did freshfields change their wording on their dtc faq page??

this is what the dtc page says:
If a vacation scheme doesn’t fit your circumstances, you’re welcome to apply directly to our Trainee Associate Programme. You don’t need to have completed a vacation scheme to secure a place on the programme, and many of our trainees join us through the direct application route.​

their normal faq page says:
If you are in your penultimate year or beyond, you are eligible to apply directly to our Trainee Associate Programme. There is no advantage in applying for a vacation scheme over a place on the Trainee Associate Programme and approximately half our trainee intakes come from direct Trainee Associate Programme applicants. You don’t need to have completed a vacation scheme to secure a place on the Trainee Associate Programme.​

im not sure if this difference existed before but now they have sort of framed it as a vac scheme being the main route of recruitment in a way, and avoided publicising a definite intake percentage for either route ('many'). im not sure if this is worth emailing grad rec over but the discrepancy is throwing me off
 
@Abbie Whitlock Should we aim to quantify our achievements for the Macfarlanes work experience section since they ask for bullet points? like we would for the bullet points in a CV? thank u xxx
Hey!

Yes, I think that is a good approach! I would treat the bullet points fairly similar to CV bullet points, particularly as the format lends itself well to highlighting what you actually did and any tangible outcomes.

However, I wouldn't feel that you have to quantify every single point. If there is a clear number/result (e.g. "increased attendance by 30%", "managed a team of 10", etc.), definitely include it as it makes the achievement more concrete and tangible. If there isn't a meaningful figure, I wouldn't force one in just for the sake of quantifying it.

I would prioritise action + impact/achievement + what you gained. For example:

1. Assisted with X, resulting in Y
2. Managed X people or £X budget, while achieving Y
3. Researched X and presented findings to Y, developing my ability to Z

So essentially, yes to the CV-style approach (broadly speaking), but it helps to focus on the substance rather than trying to make every bullet point contain a quantifiable number (as that isn't always possible).

I hope that assists! :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheSaulGoodman
hihi

did freshfields change their wording on their dtc faq page??

this is what the dtc page says:
If a vacation scheme doesn’t fit your circumstances, you’re welcome to apply directly to our Trainee Associate Programme. You don’t need to have completed a vacation scheme to secure a place on the programme, and many of our trainees join us through the direct application route.​

their normal faq page says:
If you are in your penultimate year or beyond, you are eligible to apply directly to our Trainee Associate Programme. There is no advantage in applying for a vacation scheme over a place on the Trainee Associate Programme and approximately half our trainee intakes come from direct Trainee Associate Programme applicants. You don’t need to have completed a vacation scheme to secure a place on the Trainee Associate Programme.​

im not sure if this difference existed before but now they have sort of framed it as a vac scheme being the main route of recruitment in a way, and avoided publicising a definite intake percentage for either route ('many'). im not sure if this is worth emailing grad rec over but the discrepancy is throwing me off
I’m not sure I’d take it as them making the vac scheme the main route. The general FAQ is probably designed to cover as many questions as possible upfront, whereas the DTC page is more tailored. They’ve still said you’re welcome to apply directly and that “many” trainees come through that route, which is pretty reassuring.

Also, Freshfields has one of the larger trainee intakes, so “many” could still mean a lot. If they’ve said “approximately half” on one page and “many” on another, I’d assume it’s still a significant number of direct TC applicants, especially compared with a firm taking 15.

It will be okay!! :D

You Got This Take Your Time GIF by Lemonerdy
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member