• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

The stage 2 test is automatic for everyone that passes the stage 1 test. They don’t review your app until you pass stage 2 and they assess the app and VI responses together essentially. So idrk if they have read anyone’s WE entries just yet.​
I thought they screen and then send invites for Stage 1 — at least that was my experience for DTC app.
 
Would greatly appreciate any helpful tips on how to make the most out of an Open Day. Will be attending my first one and I would love to be prepared pre/during/post open day. Thanks x
One of the main benefits you get from open days is to just become familiar with the environment. Aside from speaking to as many people as you can, I'd also relax and try to enjoy it. Law firms can be intimidating places, so take the opportunity to get comfortable and get a feel for the atmosphere. If all goes well and you get an interview there in the future, you'll be more confident.
 
Hi guys! I’ll be entering my second application cycle as a finalist. For context, I’m an international student on a Student visa and was planning to apply for both the winter and spring/summer schemes.

My only concern is that the winter scheme dates overlap with term time, so I’m not sure if I’d be eligible, as my visa only allows me to work up to 20 hours per week during term time.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any experience with this?
I don’t think you can do winter schemes if they overlap with your term.
 
I thought they screen and then send invites for Stage 1 — at least that was my experience for DTC app.
They screen for eligibility so if a scheme is only open to finalists and graduates and someone in their first year applied, they would get filtered out prior to getting the stage 1 test. Or if someone has a 2:2 without mit circs but they want a 2:1, etc.

The first test is automatic for almost everyone else. The second test is also automatic but for the people that pass stage 1. I sent an app for the DTC last year too and it was like this baso. Freshfields and Hogans also use the same tests and process iirc.​
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
One of the main benefits you get from open days is to just become familiar with the environment. Aside from speaking to as many people as you can, I'd also relax and try to enjoy it. Law firms can be intimidating places, so take the opportunity to get comfortable and get a feel for the atmosphere. If all goes well and you get an interview there in the future, you'll be more confident.
You're right! Thanks much x
 
  • Like
Reactions: WillKitchen
Looking for advice on this. I drafted my work experience from scratch without using any AI tools but when checking AI detection online on websites it says 90% AI similarities. I am trying to submit Macfarlanes app but don't know what I should do as I wrote the work experience without using AI. @Abbie Whitlock any advice on this.
Hi!

From my understanding, most firms don't use AI detection tools when reviewing applications, particularly because they can be quite hit or miss and aren't necessarily reliable indicators of whether something has actually been written using AI.

Instead, I think firms are much more likely to read the work experience itself and assess whether it sounds genuine and reflects the candidate's own experiences. From my brief time in the Early Careers team at Reed Smith during my Professional SQE Year, I found that it can actually be quite easy to tell when someone has written something with AI versus when they have written it themselves.

I would try not to worry too much about the percentage you are getting from these online AI checkers, especially as you know that you wrote the work experience yourself. These tools can flag perfectly genuine writing, so a high score doesn't necessarily mean that your application will be viewed as AI-generated.

If you are happy with the content and it accurately reflects your own experience, I would be comfortable submitting it as it is :)
 
How essential is having a link with the firm for getting to AC stage? I got 3 ACs last cycle and I had virtually met each firm so I was just wondering if I needed to replicate this for more firms this cycle to have a better chance at progressing.
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member