TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
I have an offer for a paralegal role (FIRM A) but I only have one more week to accept. I am waiting for the outcome for another paralegal position (FIRM B) I would much rather have but will hear back in the next coming weeks...

How do I KINDLY say.. Can I have a few more weeks to decide to firm A?

Reactions: George Maxwell

OO28

Junior Lawyer
Nov 4, 2019
White & Case vacation scheme offer!!!
I’m so happy to finish this application cycle with a magic circle training contract and 2 vacation scheme offers!

I’ve applied to all 3 firms at least 3 times and only had 1 interview before this cycle. So I’m so pleased that I’m finally seeing results and looking forward to the vacation schemes this summer 🥳🥳🥳

Hope4aVS

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
I have unfortunately caught COVID, and I have an AC (in person) tomorrow. The other available date for an AC (also in person) would still fall within my isolation period.

Is it worth saying that I would still like to be considered for this cycle, and I would be happy to take part virtually or another form of assessment? I am unsure if this is a reasonable ask.

Additionally, is it reasonable to ask to be considered for next year’s cycle?

I haven’t had to do this before so unsure if the above asks are reasonable or if it is better to apologise, and explain the situation. It is a really rubbish situation given all the preparation :(

• 🤝
Reactions: h1

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I have an offer for a paralegal role (FIRM A) but I only have one more week to accept. I am waiting for the outcome for another paralegal position (FIRM B) I would much rather have but will hear back in the next coming weeks...

How do I KINDLY say.. Can I have a few more weeks to decide to firm A?
    I think you should accept it as if you don't get offer 2 then you have a job at least and also what is your notice period for job offer 1 as if it is less than 2 weeks or 2 weeks then it will be fine if you get an offer from firm 2.

This is from my experience of being in a situation like this before but others an maybe provide you with better advice than this as I am new to the job market.

I hope it is helpful.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    White & Case vacation scheme offer!!!
    I’m so happy to finish this application cycle with a magic circle training contract and 2 vacation scheme offers!

I’ve applied to all 3 firms at least 3 times and only had 1 interview before this cycle. So I’m so pleased that I’m finally seeing results and looking forward to the vacation schemes this summer 🥳🥳🥳
    Congratulations this is so good and am so proud of you.

• Love
    • 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell and OO28

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    I have unfortunately caught COVID, and I have an AC (in person) tomorrow. The other available date for an AC (also in person) would still fall within my isolation period.

Is it worth saying that I would still like to be considered for this cycle, and I would be happy to take part virtually or another form of assessment? I am unsure if this is a reasonable ask.

I haven’t had to do this before so unsure if the above asks are reasonable or if it is better to apologise, and explain the situation. It is a really rubbish situation given all the preparation :(
    I hope your symptoms aren’t too bad! I think that is a very reasonable ask. The firm will not expect you to show up for an AC with COVID because you risk infecting others and some people may be more vulnerable to it.

I’d call them first thing tomorrow morning explaining your situation, maybe offering to send evidence of your positive result and requesting a virtual alternative because both dates are within your isolation period. I guess you could apologise for the inconvenience, but it’s not really your fault or something you could have anticipated. Best of luck!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

How very frustrating!

I completely agree with @summer207 . It's also worth noting that you are doing the responsible thing, exactly as they will expect of you when a professional. You cannot attend, and GR will undoubtedly have had to deal with situations of illness previously. It will be interesting for you to see how accommodating they are towards you.

Good luck and let's hope you aren't feeling too rough.

PS they may even have an answering machine if you call immediately - and you could send an email (eg with a photo of your positive test) so that all bases are covered ASAP. That helps them with their organisation (staffing, etc) too.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes, either of these options is reasonable to ask for but should still be explained that you are asking as you cannot attend an assessment centre until your isolation period is up. They will understand, it is just whether they can provide any alternative dates/methods that might be the issue. There is absolutely no harm in asking though.

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    May 28, 2020
    Dear all,

I have just been notified that I have failed converting a spring vacation scheme into a training contract. I feel quite lost particularly since I am a final year international student... :(

I also wonder whether my vacation scheme experience will be a good asset for future applications I am extremely anxious of getting questioned 'explain why you failed'.

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you so much.
    I didn't convert last year for the only vac scheme that I had in my first cycle. But now in my second cycle, I have 3 vacation schemes, 1 TC AC and I haven't been asked about my previous vac scheme.

If I converted the first time, I wouldn't have had the opportunity with these firms. Just remember that this rejection is a redirection!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.