TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAH99

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2022
Hey, where can I find the application form? I’ve looked on the website and can’t find it :/
You need to look for it in the Job Board section after clicking the 'Apply Now' button on the Graduates page. But I tried to open it again just now and this is what comes up:

screenshot-2022-05-15-at-23-56-33-png.4094
Not sure why this is happening (it worked earlier today).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-15 at 23.56.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-15 at 23.56.33.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 767

Unknown

Mar 3, 2022
I think if the question is related to you, you don't always have to show firm research. For example, if it's a competency Q like "when is a time you have worked in a team", I personally would not mention the firm in this answer.

I used to be scared of VIs - practice made me soo much better. I literally recorded myself on Photo Booth answering every question imaginable within a 60 sec time limit, and you get so good at it! I also bullet pointed examples for almost every competency so I wouldn't freeze when the question came up.

Even though you're supposed to look at the camera, I think it's totally fine to look down at the time 1/2 or even 3 times!

Hope that this helps. Whilst your answer is important, I think that 50% of it is in the delivery of your answer - making eye contact, always finishing before the time is up, smiling (even when it feels a bit forced), speaking slowly and not using too many filler words ("ums"/"ahs") will get you far! If you practice loads, you will become a pro :)
Thank you so much, this has helped make me feel like it is possible to improve and progress further than the VI, just have to stay motivated and keep going!

• 🤝
Reactions: rogerd123

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    Sounds like you would be hired this summer, start the SQE prep course in January, sit SQE1 in April 2023, and if you passed go on the SQE2 prep in April, taking SQE2 sometime in the summer. The 2023 SQE assessment dates haven’t been announced yet by the SRA and so they must know specific timings to run to this schedule.

I wouldn’t get confused by them calling it a training contract. Technically training contracts haven’t existed for over a decade, it’s just a term commonly used that people are familiar with.
    I've attended the Kingsley Napley open day, and from my understanding the 2023 training comtract means that's the SQE starts in September, I think it's like 10 months, then after that you'd start the TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've attended the Kingsley Napley open day, and from my understanding the 2023 training comtract means that's the SQE starts in September, I think it's like 10 months, then after that you'd start the TC.
    That's good - sounds like it's a more substantial SQE prep course then.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Hi everyone! For the Clyde & Co 2022 TC application, can I include more than 4 work experiences? If so, could you please tell me how to do it?
    I don’t think you can, other than possibly filling in that little box at the end with a few bullet points of other experiences you had.

just know that Clyde & Co has a blind CV process in an attempt to increase diversity (which has definitely worked in my cohort!). No one knew my previous experience, from partner interview to GR interview. Just select your 4 most relevant I would say and put them in.

it’s far more important to be able to discuss how your relevant experience effected your motivations and understanding of law verbally in the interviews rather than on the form, as you will be discussing your work experience often to a partner who has no idea what work you’ve done in the past as it’s a blind app process.

Reactions: SS1

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    Hey when did you email and did you pass the telephone interview? I didn’t get any email about that or any contact since the TI
    Hi, I applied last week (a bit late to the party I suppose!) so I haven't been invited to the TI yet. I emailed to HR to arrange my travel plans accordingly in case I got invited to the AC.

Reactions: O

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    What is the general timeline for most direct TC interviews that have application deadlines in June/July? Do interviews end by August or are they in September too sometimes?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What is the general timeline for most direct TC interviews that have application deadlines in June/July? Do interviews end by August or are they in September too sometimes?
    Typically across August and September - for some firms it will be later based on how their VS conversion recruitment went (and when this wraps up). But typically they try to wrap everything up by mid-September ahead of people returning to university.

Reactions: IT7 and AvniD

TChopeful

Feb 14, 2022
    Hello, I have recently accepted a job offer that I would like to put on my applications. However, I haven't started yet. I am aware that time is ticking and that firms recruit on a rolling basis, do you think I should include this on my applications or wait until I have actually started to do so?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.