TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
Hey @Jessica Booker , how do firms take it if in a TC interview q- 'What other firms you've applied to', I tell them that I applied to xyz other firm and also got a vac offer from there?

Does it give me a leg up (showing that other firms have chosen me) or work against me (in that I may or may not accept their offer, considering other offers)?

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Covid and Brexit have brought many changes and challenges to a number of sectors over recent years. Please discuss one of the sectors you believe has been affected.

The above is an Addleshaw Goddard app question.

When they say 'sector', are they specifically referring to industry sectors or can we choose to talk about a practice area for our answer?

They also mentioned the word 'sector' in another Q whereby they referred to the legal sector. I just want to be sure before I attempt to answer the question.

@James Carrabino @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Covid and Brexit have brought many changes and challenges to a number of sectors over recent years. Please discuss one of the sectors you believe has been affected.

The above is an Addleshaw Goddard app question.

When they say 'sector', are they specifically referring to industry sectors or can we choose to talk about a practice area for our answer?

They also mentioned the word 'sector' in another Q whereby they referred to the legal sector. I just want to be sure before I attempt to answer the question.

@James Carrabino @Jessica Booker
I would focus on a sector/industry - it may mean that industry has more of a practice focus, but this is not asking you to indentify practice areas, it is asking you to identify trends in that sector (not specifically the legal work needed for that trend).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker , how do firms take it if in a TC interview q- 'What other firms you've applied to', I tell them that I applied to xyz other firm and also got a vac offer from there?

Does it give me a leg up (showing that other firms have chosen me) or work against me (in that I may or may not accept their offer, considering other offers)?
It can be either or (or neither) in all honesty. It really depends on the firms in question and also how you explain things. You are rarely just asked where else you have applied to for the sake of getting names - it is much more about getting the rationale of why you have chosen those firms.

Reactions: George Maxwell

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
I would definitely avoid it being firm specific. It is asking you to explain why you want to do the job in general. You still may want to tailor it though - a firm that focuses on transactional work is likely to have a slightly different emphasis than a firm that focuses on contentious work.
Hi Jess, should the focus of the job be what a trainee does, NQ associate, or partner? Would it be shallow to present an understanding of what a trainee does, if the goal is to become a partner? But if I talk about what I'm interested at a partner level, would it be too far? Hope my question makes sense!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, should the focus of the job be what a trainee does, NQ associate, or partner? Would it be shallow to present an understanding of what a trainee does, if the goal is to become a partner? But if I talk about what I'm interested at a partner level, would it be too far? Hope my question makes sense!
I would focus on the job of a junior lawyer - whether that be a trainee or NQ. You can also talk about the long term aspects of the career too, but it definitely needs balance and therefore you need to cover why your happy doing the job(s) that will get you to partner 10-15 years down the line.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to clarify, the question "Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm?" has two parts; one is "Why commercial law" and the other is "Why International law firms?". The former part is pretty straightforward but I was wondering, for an international student - would the latter part of the question mean why the individual is interested in London law firms as opposed to law firms in his own jurisdiction? I don't really know what the latter part is asking for.

Thanks.
Me again! If an app says "Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm?", and has a separate question asking 'why this firm', does this mean that the answer to the former doesn't have to be firm-specific? And will this mean that I could probably copy over my reasons for being a solicitor at an international firm from another application since it isn't firm specific?

Reactions: lawnoob

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to clarify, the question "Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm?" has two parts; one is "Why commercial law" and the other is "Why International law firms?". The former part is pretty straightforward but I was wondering, for an international student - would the latter part of the question mean why the individual is interested in London law firms as opposed to law firms in his own jurisdiction? I don't really know what the latter part is asking for.

Thanks.
I don't think it has to say "why London" - that might be obvious with some international students who have lived/worked/studied in the city previously.

However, for those with no connections to London, I think this is an opportunity to explain why London as well as why you want to work in an international law firm. It isn't that the recruiter is looking for the "why London" element in this question, but that they are trying to gauge from your application as a whole that you have considered your career (and how it will fit into your life) carefully. Therefore anticipating they may question why you are considering a move to London and covering the "why London" aspect could help.

However, you still need to answer "why international law" - what is it about the day job working in the ways you will do, learning about the topics you will need to learn, and having the responsibilities you will have that appeals to you.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I don't think it has to say "why London" - that might be obvious with some international students who have lived/worked/studied in the city previously.

However, for those with no connections to London, I think this is an opportunity to explain why London as well as why you want to work in an international law firm. It isn't that the recruiter is looking for the "why London" element in this question, but that they are trying to gauge from your application as a whole that you have considered your career (and how it will fit into your life) carefully. Therefore anticipating they may question why you are considering a move to London and covering the "why London" aspect could help.

However, you still need to answer "why international law" - what is it about the day job working in the ways you will do, learning about the topics you will need to learn, and having the responsibilities you will have that appeals to you.
Thank you for your response, Jessica.

• 🤝

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Has anybody else applied to Orrick? I am just wondering about their usual timelines

I applied on April 9th and have yet to hear back so I'm assuming that one's dead.

I wouldn't rule them out yet - the deadline hasn't passed and they are non-rolling. Also my experience last cycle was that they took a long time to get back to people.

• 🤝
Reactions: Law2022 and NaimK

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi did anyone apply to the Flex Legal TC scheme and have you heard anything back?
Hi @Limanehious - I am working with Flex Legal and will be conducting the first-round interviews. You may hear from me very soon (next day or two) with an update.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica. I was worried that because I haven't had an email from Flex Legal themselves yet that my inbox may have marked it as spam. Thanks!
You can always check spam folders if that is the case. I have only been with Flex for a couple of weeks and have been reviewing the applications over the last week, so hoping to contact people very soon.

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Has anyone applied to Ince? I am looking at their application form and I am slightly not sure what "Were you eligible for a contextualised university offer?" means. What is a contextualised university offer?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.