TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
Ultimately, if there is nothing contractually stopping you then you can go ahead with the vacation scheme.

However, if you are certain you will accept Firm A's TC over anything Firm B would offer you though, I'd encourage you to withdraw from the vacation scheme unless earning the money is vital for you. There really wouldn't be any reason to do the vacation scheme if you are 100% sure you will accept Firm A's offer, unless you needed the vacation scheme's salary.
Hey @Jessica Booker , I'm in the exact same position and am not from the UK. I therefore have already invested a lot in monetary terms towards my visa and bookings for the vac scheme.

Backing out of the scheme would be a financially v bad decision for me. Do you think I should tell Firm A that I'll accept their offer and am committed to them. but need to do this vac scheme with B as I'm too deep into this. Would Firm A allow this at all? Or is it best to keep mum? (Just wondering if I could risk my TC offer by not disclosing. Though my contract has no restriction)

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker , I'm in the exact same position and am not from the UK. I therefore have already invested a lot in monetary terms towards my visa and bookings for the vac scheme.

Backing out of the scheme would be a financially v bad decision for me. Do you think I should tell Firm A that I'll accept their offer and am committed to them. but need to do this vac scheme with B as I'm too deep into this. Would Firm A allow this at all? Or is it best to keep mum? (Just wondering if I could risk my TC offer by not disclosing. Though my contract has no restriction)

Thanks!
Have you actually accepted the TC yet?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I will have to anyway, as the offer lapses. But also I think I'll prefer this firm over the VS one
You could accept and then renege the offer though.

If you are not 100% certain, then I would just do the scheme and not say anything to either firm (unless you need to disclose for conflict check purposes/are asked directly).

Reactions: Vacationschemeapps

HP_iq

Apr 26, 2022
I received a call from a firm letting me know that I was successful in my AC and have secured the TC - however, it has now been two weeks and I am yet to receive any offer letters/contracts from the firm? The TC begins in September of this year, so I was wondering if anyone who has received confirmation over the phone could let me know when to expect a follow-up/offer letter over email. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I received a call from a firm letting me know that I was successful in my AC and have secured the TC - however, it has now been two weeks and I am yet to receive any offer letters/contracts from the firm? The TC begins in September of this year, so I was wondering if anyone who has received confirmation over the phone could let me know when to expect a follow-up/offer letter over email. Thanks!
I'd give it until the end of the week and then I'd give the firm a call on Friday and explain you haven't received anything yet, and so you just wanted to check whether you had missed the correspondence or if there was a timeframe you should expect the contract/offer letter to be with you.

Reactions: HP_iq

HP_iq

Apr 26, 2022
I'd give it until the end of the week and then I'd give the firm a call on Friday and explain you haven't received anything yet, and so you just wanted to check whether you had missed the correspondence or if there was a timeframe you should expect the contract/offer letter to be with you.
Thank you!! I emailed the grad recruitment team - was told there would be one by the end of the week! :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Sarak

Standard Member
Jan 13, 2022
Hi All

I need some advice I hope it’s okay to ask on here: I have a VS coming up in a couple weeks but I just got invited to an assessment day for a direct TC for a different firm which falls on the Tuesday of the VS week - I would prefer not to take the full day from the VS (given that the VS is only one week I’d be losing a decent portion of the week for the assessment day). Do you feel it would be appropriate for me to ask grad rec to move my assessment day? I think they have one for another office on a different day. Is there any alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.