TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do law firms typically reimburse travel expenses during VS?
They don’t necessarily reimburse them where you are being paid.

Firms tend to only pay travel expenses for things that aren’t paid (interviews/open days).

There will be some exceptions - you should speak to your firms about whether any expenses are covered or not.

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
It isn’t a trick question. They are just genuinely interested in finding out who else you are applying to and how this may weigh up against how interested you are in them.
Hi @Jessica Booker, in extension to their question, I was wondering if they will really check/if there's an issue with lying about what firms you've applied to?

I know they are looking for whether the other firms align with this firm and similarities to demonstrate there was some sort of strategy. But what if I've been applying to firms for different reasons..? Is it ok to pull a white lie and say I've applied to XYZ similar firms when I actually haven't?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, in extension to their question, I was wondering if they will really check/if there's an issue with lying about what firms you've applied to?

I know they are looking for whether the other firms align with this firm and similarities to demonstrate there was some sort of strategy. But what if I've been applying to firms for different reasons..? Is it ok to pull a white lie and say I've applied to XYZ similar firms when I actually haven't?
They haven’t got any ability to check unless you give your permission to contact firms. Even if you did this, firms haven’t got any capacity to either check with other firms or start giving out these details when other firms request it.

You are going into a profession where integrity is everything so I am someone who believes lying isn’t a good idea. It can also trip you up massively - trust me I have seen it happen!

Instead of lying just be tactical about what you say. For instance, “I am considering applying to Joe Bloggs LLP” is very different to “I have applied to Joe Bloggs LLP” when you haven’t.

They aren’t looking for alignment to that firm though - this is a common mistake many people assume. They are looking for you to provide rationale as to why you are considering these types of firms. I have heard exceptionally strong answers where the alignment was very limited, but well explained through rationale as to why the individual is considering varied firms.

Therefore explain your rationale. I suspect there are some common reasons/themes why you have applied to both firms - even if it just comes down to you have enjoyed meeting people from them.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and lawnoob

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
They haven’t got any ability to check unless you give your permission to contact firms. Even if you did this, firms haven’t got any capacity to either check with other firms or start giving out these details when other firms request it.

You are going into a profession where integrity is everything so I am someone who believes lying isn’t a good idea. It can also trip you up massively - trust me I have seen it happen!

Instead of lying just be tactical about what you say. For instance, “I am considering applying to Joe Bloggs LLP” is very different to “I have applied to Joe Bloggs LLP” when you haven’t.

They aren’t looking for alignment to that firm though - this is a common mistake many people assume. They are looking for you to provide rationale as to why you are considering these types of firms. I have heard exceptionally strong answers where the alignment was very limited, but well explained through rationale as to why the individual is considering varied firms.

Therefore explain your rationale. I suspect there are some common reasons/themes why you have applied to both firms - even if it just comes down to you have enjoyed meeting people from them.
Thanks so much for your advice on how to approach it. Luckily I do aim to apply to firms that have a common theme - I guess I could just omit the few that don't fit into my rationale.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks so much for your advice on how to approach it. Luckily I do aim to apply to firms that have a common theme - I guess I could just omit the few that don't fit into my rationale.
You absolutely can do this. I'd also add that you don't owe anyone detailed insight about your rationale and application strategy. You can give as much or as little as you like, as long as you give something that helps interviewers contextualise your application and your motivations for choosing the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I actually cannot believe I’m saying it but I received an offer yesterday from BCLP for a training contract, which I have now accepted, following my vacation scheme last week!!

This forum has helped me so much so if anyone needs help, by all means get in touch!
Amazing news - congratulations!! You'll be joining a great firm.

Happy X Factor GIF by X Factor Global

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For anyone who is doing a vacation scheme and is wiorried about the costs such as travel costs. I just saw on Linkedin that the AS Foundation help with expenses for people doing a vacation scheme.

Thought this might be helpful to someone in this forum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.