TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Is Kirkland & Ellis' work/life balance really as drastically bad as it's reported? Legalcheek says average finish time is 11.30pm. As notorious as US firms are long hours, surely an average workday of 14 hours couldn't be accurate?
Well, I know an associate who works there and believe me when I tell you that it is bad!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is Kirkland & Ellis' work/life balance really as drastically bad as it's reported? Legalcheek says average finish time is 11.30pm. As notorious as US firms are long hours, surely an average workday of 14 hours couldn't be accurate?
It could be a fair estimation but it really depends when the question was asked, what time scale they were asked to think about, and particularly with more remote working how you now calculate it.

For instance, the question used to be when did you leave the office. But the reality is now you might not always be in the office, so now you do factor in when you log off from your computer/phone? If people consider that, then I would say a lot of lawyers in the city might actually say their finish time is very late at night.

Some people might also calculate it more by total hours and then average it out. All it takes is for you to work 10 hours over a weekend, and that would actually be more like a 9.30pm average end during the week.

But I don’t think this is something that is unique to Kirkland. If you are considering them, then the reality is that it is most likely that the other firms you are considering and the practice areas you are interested in will result in long hours. And averaging 14 hours at certain times will be something most trainees experience at certain points of their training contract.

That will happen more often the more transactional practice your TC is. It will be impacted more if you are working with firms with US offices due to the time difference. California is currently 8 hours behind us, so a contracted working day is over before theirs have even started. That is ultimately going to result in late finishes to coordinate work between those offices. And the larger office is more likely to determine the timings.

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Really happy to hear that you are eligible to apply!

For 1), you can fill any information here, including any mitigating circumstances, that you believe will help the people reviewing your applications get further context about you. You can explain any gaps in education or work experience, why a certain grade was low, if you're working on something that doesn't quite fit in work experience etc. Does that make sense?

For 2) the way I'd approach this question is to treat as an opportunity to demonstrate your commitment to others and/or your ability to follow-through and your organisational/time management skills. This is actually a really great question because its focusing on an underrated, under-discussed part of working commercial law, which is managing the expectations of your colleagues and clients through clear communication, effective prioritisation and organisation. You can use any examples, really as long as you demonstrate both your ability to manage and meet others' expectations while organising your schedule to follow through with other commitments as well.

Thanks for your response.

1) Yeah sure so it isn't necessarily a carte blanche to write anything, right? The why commercial law question wouldn't fit here. If I don't have mitigating circumstances, or gaps etc or a need to justify anything, is it better to leave blank?

2) Makes sense thank you!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi,
I printed my applications and the formatting is a bit weird. Some of the lines present too much space between words. However, very thing it’s is good when I see the files on my laptop. Any help?!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who applied for Freshfields did you structure it equal for why commercial law, why Freshfields and why you or did do 450 words for why you and the rest for why commercial law and why Freshfields. Is there a certain structure for the personal statement. I did 450 words for why me and the rest for the other bits. Thank you in advance.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Hi! Does anyone know if Latham's online assessment is due on the same day as their application?

Nope, not due on the same day as one's application. The email they sent out said:

'The deadline for completing the assessment is three days after the application form deadline. If you require any adjustments to be made ahead of you taking this assessment, please contact the office you have applied to.'

Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: Lian Lian

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thanks for your response.

1) Yeah sure so it isn't necessarily a carte blanche to write anything, right? The why commercial law question wouldn't fit here. If I don't have mitigating circumstances, or gaps etc or a need to justify anything, is it better to leave blank?

2) Makes sense thank you!
    1) Only include that information that you haven't been able to put elsewhere that would help with giving further context to your application. Generally not appropriate for answering why commercial law. If you have nothing to add, feel free to leave it blank.
    2) Great!

Reactions: NaimK

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    Nope, not due on the same day as one's application. The email they sent out said:

'The deadline for completing the assessment is three days after the application form deadline. If you require any adjustments to be made ahead of you taking this assessment, please contact the office you have applied to.'

Good luck!

you are an absolute star. thank you so much!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    @Lian Lian @Adrian_S @S87, for your Latham 'work experience' section, did you write details of each role in paragraphs? Or did you just copy over the bulletpoints from your CV? And did you fill out most of the 250 words..?
    Hi! Sorry I just saw this. I went into detail and wrote it in paragraphs. I used the 250 word limit for 3/5 of my work experience. The other 2 were closer to the 200 mark because I was only working there for a short period of time.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi guys,

Is the Latham's SJT hard? Do you know if it is similar to Mayer Brown's test?
    Quite similar to a lot of other SJTs

It's got those questions which ask you to rank options 1-5 from what you are most likely to least likely to do in a given scenario. It's also got the sliding scale questions where it asks you to place the slider on a range of which qualities you'd show or what you are most likely to do in a situation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.