TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

can I ask you how do you explain your mitigating circumstances especially when you need to mention an undiagnosed disability?
Thank you very much for your help
Depending on the complication then, the following might not work, but I would go with something like the following:

I was diagnosed with XXXX in 20XX. Prior to the diagnosis, I did not receive the necessary support to ensure I could do XXXXXX. Therefore it impacted YYYYYYYY resulting in ZZZZZZZZZ. Since the diagnosis, I have received the necessary medication/support/advice that helps me manage the condition on a day-to-day basis.
Couldn't have said it better than @Jessica Booker! I know a fellow future trainee who explained their mitigating circumstances arising from an undiagnosed condition in a similar way when they were making applications and as far as I know, they didn't run into an issues from phrasing it in this manner.

• 🏆
Reactions: S87

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks @AvniD - I have since emailed grad rec and they confirmed my eligibility to apply in this window. Anyone who has done the LPC and GDL qualifies as a law student and can submit a direct TC app ahead of July 31 deadline.

I have a couple questions about the application:

1) one of the questions is optional and says "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application" (max 250 words)
  • is this a mitigating circumstances type question where we should only be expected to answer the Q if we are talking about that kind of thing or can we literally use it to talk about anything? e.g. why commercial law
2) one of the questions says "We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?" (max 250 words)

• Is this an exaggerated time management type question? Do we have to take the wording here literally or what am I trying to answer effectively?
Really happy to hear that you are eligible to apply!

For 1), you can fill any information here, including any mitigating circumstances, that you believe will help the people reviewing your applications get further context about you. You can explain any gaps in education or work experience, why a certain grade was low, if you're working on something that doesn't quite fit in work experience etc. Does that make sense?

For 2) the way I'd approach this question is to treat as an opportunity to demonstrate your commitment to others and/or your ability to follow-through and your organisational/time management skills. This is actually a really great question because its focusing on an underrated, under-discussed part of working commercial law, which is managing the expectations of your colleagues and clients through clear communication, effective prioritisation and organisation. You can use any examples, really as long as you demonstrate both your ability to manage and meet others' expectations while organising your schedule to follow through with other commitments as well.

Reactions: Jaysen and NaimK

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Watson Farley & Williams VI invite!
🥳

If anyone has experience with this type of interview, I would greatly appreciate any tips!

Linking a post I made a few months ago on my best tips and resources for VIs- wishing you the best!

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Hello! If I have a received a WG invite on 7th July, 3:30 pm, and have been given "six days from the day of this email to complete the test. You will not be able to complete past 11.59pm on the sixth day." - I have until 13th July, 11:59 PM to complete the test, right?

I am a bit unsure about whether the first day is being counted as day 1 or day 0. Just wanted to cross-check so I dont end up missing the deadline!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! If I have a received a WG invite on 7th July, 3:30 pm, and have been given "six days from the day of this email to complete the test. You will not be able to complete past 11.59pm on the sixth day." - I have until 13th July, 11:59 PM to complete the test, right?

I am a bit unsure about whether the first day is being counted as day 1 or day 0. Just wanted to cross-check so I dont end up missing the deadline!
I would assume the day the test is sent is included just in case.

In reality I suspect they set it at 7 days including the day of the test, and that’s why they say 6, but you can never be sure and so just doing it at the minimum amount of time it would be is going to be the safest bet.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see that the firm refers to themselves as 'Latham' on their website so I'm guessing yes? eg. "We’re confident that you can achieve your full potential as a trainee at Latham."
This is always my go to. If the firm shortens it on their website/brochure, it’s fine for you to do so too.

Reactions: Adrian_S and djqb

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Latham 'strongly recommends' not to re-apply in the same application cycle.

Should I just presume there is no real chance to succeed in the same application cycle (vac scheme / direct TC) even though I believe my application has significantly improved?

Other firms say (differently) that they 'will not' take a second application in the same cycle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.