TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for the response Jessica! Unfortunately I'm at an Indian law school, and our university does not have any careers services like this. Nor are there many university seniors/alumni who have gone through the same process for UK firms and can help out. So online resources are the only place I can go to for this :/
Use 30 Minute Chat! Its a start up where you can book 30 minute zooms with people from certain firms, there is an option for application check!

• 🤝
Reactions: IT7

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
I just had a question re 2nd year uni results - do firms expect you to achieve a 2:1 across every module or do they just want a 2:1 overall? I am in 2nd year so this isnt my final year results but in applications when stating each module grade, 2 of them are just below a 2:1. Will this affect whether I will pass the application stage?

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2021
I just had a question re 2nd year uni results - do firms expect you to achieve a 2:1 across every module or do they just want a 2:1 overall? I am in 2nd year so this isnt my final year results but in applications when stating each module grade, 2 of them are just below a 2:1. Will this affect whether I will pass the application stage?
unlikley to - most firms ive spoken to are looking for an overall 2:1.
edit: I also have a couple of modules just below 2:1 and have gotten past the application stage for many applications so don't think it matters as much as long as you have an overall 2:1

Reactions: djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how long it typically takes between receiving a TC offer on the phone to receiving the documents/contract?
Anything between a few days and a couple of weeks. Can take a little longer over the summer as there is usually an approval chain which requires multiple people to sign off the job offer to create the contract (don’t worry this is just an internal process - it’s nothing to do with you as a candidate).

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I have graduated now but had a 2.2 in second year and a 2.2 in my final year (received a 67 overall) I have secured vac schemes and got through to different interviews / currently getting past application process on Direct TC applications

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it - I'm not suggesting to become complacent. Just don't worry about the odd 2.2 as long as your overall grade is still strong

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Anyone apply to Addleshaw Goddard, Akin Gump, Fried Frank, Paul Hastings and hear back?

Applied largely in mid/late June, so just wondering when people hear back about WG tests, VIs, etc.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Anyone apply to Addleshaw Goddard, Akin Gump, Fried Frank, Paul Hastings and hear back?

Applied largely in mid/late June, so just wondering when people hear back about WG tests, VIs, etc.
    AG tends to hire largely from VS so I would get in touch with GR to see if they still have places available, Paul Hastings usually replies around beginning of Sep. and they do not send out rejections.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Adrian_S

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    unlikley to - most firms ive spoken to are looking for an overall 2:1.
    edit: I also have a couple of modules just below 2:1 and have gotten past the application stage for many applications so don't think it matters as much as long as you have an overall 2:1

I have graduated now but had a 2.2 in second year and a 2.2 in my final year (received a 67 overall) I have secured vac schemes and got through to different interviews / currently getting past application process on Direct TC applications

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it - I'm not suggesting to become complacent. Just don't worry about the odd 2.2 as long as your overall grade is still strong
    Thanks so much , makes me feel better

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Generally a 2.1 on average, but the more 2.2s there are there can be more of a concern. It will depend on your other academics though and whether you are excellent in other aspects of your application.

Reactions: zizszhplum

born&raised

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 30, 2021
    AG tends to hire largely from VS so I would get in touch with GR to see if they still have places available, Paul Hastings usually replies around beginning of Sep. and they do not send out rejections.
    @Adrian_S Addleshaw replied with this when I mailed them a few months back regarding the proportion of Trainees hired via the Direct TC route: "Addleshaw Goddard recruits the majority of trainees via our placement scheme route however a significant number are recruited through the direct to Training Contract route."

I know this statement is kinda vague about the numbers- if anyone knows about whether places are still available, please update here as well! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Adrian_S
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.