TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Anyone else having login trouble with freshfields? Trying to bang out an 11th hour app and keep getting locked out when going to reset my password.

Relatedly, would anyone be keen to share the cover letter prompt so I can at least get cracking on that locally while troubleshooting? (Would also be grateful if anyone knows the word count on their work experience sections & how many entries are allowed)

TIA!

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone know how long Latham's behavioural test is and how many questions are likely to be there?
Don't recall exactly but iirc it took me 30-45 minutes - that said I didn't spend loads of time on the answers and tended to go with my gut (this did not go well for me but i think that is more due to how i thought at the time about the role and the expectations than anything else).

Reactions: F12M34L and Scandi

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Anyone else having login trouble with freshfields? Trying to bang out an 11th hour app and keep getting locked out when going to reset my password.

Relatedly, would anyone be keen to share the cover letter prompt so I can at least get cracking on that locally while troubleshooting? (Would also be grateful if anyone knows the word count on their work experience sections & how many entries are allowed)

TIA!
    Here you go

Attachments

• personal-statement Template.docx
      241 KB · Views: 49
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Rob93 and Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021

TIA!

Hi friend! So re: work experience, there doesn't seem to be any word count, but I wouldn't go over 250 words for each work experience you list in the section.

Regarding personal statement, make sure you answer the following 3 questions: (1) Why are you interested in a career in commercial law? (2) Why are you interested in a career at Freshfields specifically? and (3) Why are you a good fit for Freshfields and what skills do you have which would make you a great trainee at the firm?

Overall, quite straightforward! You got this!

Reactions: Scandi and Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    On the topic of SJTs and similar, in case of interest, if you're anything like me your instinct might be to sort things yourself as much as possible and only select answers that involve leaning on other people in like really fringe cases. Having now spent a few months in a City firm this is really not it! Delegate clerical and admin tasks to support staff, ask senior solicitors sensible questions in the first instance rather than spending countless hours banging your head against the desk trying to figure things out on your own, communicate when you do not have capacity for something! It will make your life easier and make your team more efficient both internally and from the perspective of clients (who do not want to pay for time you spend on low-value tasks or where you are overextended and not operating effectively).

This way of thinking/acting does not come naturally to a lot of people (I would hazard a guess that working class folks are especially disinclined to delegate) but it's important to realise that trainees are a few rungs up the ladder even if it's your first job out of uni (or if, like me, you have gotten used to being the bottom of the totem pole in previous jobs). Rely on the people around you and, equally importantly, treat them well and show them that they can also rely on you.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Here you go
    Hi friend! So re: work experience, there doesn't seem to be any word count, but I wouldn't go over 250 words for each work experience you list in the section.

Regarding personal statement, make sure you answer the following 3 questions: (1) Why are you interested in a career in commercial law? (2) Why are you interested in a career at Freshfields specifically? and (3) Why are you a good fit for Freshfields and what skills do you have which would make you a great trainee at the firm?

Overall, quite straightforward! You got this!
    Stupendous, thank you both.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

TIA!
    You don't need to write it in a cover letter format - the personal statement doesn't need the formalities of a cover letter.

The intro to the statement is:

Personal Statement

Please write about yourself in the space provided below. You may wish to mention any positions of responsibility held at school or subsequently, any regular employment or other work experience and any achievements, interests and personal qualities which are relevant. Please also state briefly why you are making this application.

You must stay within the word limit for the vacancy that you are applying for:
    • 850 words: Training Contract; London-Asia Training Contract; Vacation Scheme
    • 400 words: Workshop; Open Day; Spring Scheme

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD, Asil Ahmad and Rob93

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    For slider SJT exercises, is it ok to put my slider in the middle for most answers (about 60-40, only slightly leaning to one side)? I would have a mixed approach for most scenarios in reality.

Or do firms want to see a more solid answer like 90-10/80-20?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For slider SJT exercises, is it ok to put my slider in the middle for most answers (about 60-40, only slightly leaning to one side)? I would have a mixed approach for most scenarios in reality.

Or do firms want to see a more solid answer like 90-10/80-20?
    There won't be a set answer to this. Some answers are likely to need a stronger spectrum response, while others will be expected to be more in the middle. It really depends on the scenario.

Reactions: lawnoob

mome101

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 30, 2021
    I'm a bit confused about whether I should put my high school education, seeing as I finished schooling outside of the UK and there aren't clear fields for this information on the Freshfields' direct TC application. Please help me :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm a bit confused about whether I should put my high school education, seeing as I finished schooling outside of the UK and there aren't clear fields for this information on the Freshfields' direct TC application. Please help me :)
    I would include it if you can. They will want to see your pre-university/high school grades.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.