TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak98

Jan 7, 2022
Hey, Congrats on the AC! A basic SWOT is to evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of whatever they are asking you to do it on.
For example, a SWOT for a brick and mortar retail business could be:
Strengths - established, local knowledge of business, USP of company
Weakness - brick and mortar so no online shopping offering for wider audience of potential customers
Opportunity - expand to online, could provide existing in-person customers a bonus or discount if recommending friends to shop online, potentially have reps for the business like body shop has with consultants
Threats - competition businesses, increased rates and overheads for brick and mortar store, economy issues

Hope this gives you a general idea and good luck!
Thank you!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Just received this message from Akin Gump and dont know what it means? Does it mean all the TCs have been offered? Why wouldn’t they just reject me?

“Due to an extremely successful summer vacation scheme and the limited number of places for our 2024 programme, we are not currently proceeding further with any applications.

If this situation should change we will get in touch with a further update. If your situation has changed and you would like to withdraw your application, please advise by return.”

• 🤝
Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Just received this message from Akin Gump and dont know what it means? Does it mean all the TCs have been offered? Why wouldn’t they just reject me?

“Due to an extremely successful summer vacation scheme and the limited number of places for our 2024 programme, we are not currently proceeding further with any applications.

If this situation should change we will get in touch with a further update. If your situation has changed and you would like to withdraw your application, please advise by return.”
Yes, I think that your interpretation is right. But look at the glass half full, minor tweaks and you have an application that is ready.

• 🤝
Reactions: Adrian_S

malvern3142

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022

I received the exact same email, I think you might have misunderstood it. I'm pretty sure it means they were able to fully recruit trainees from the vac scheme and aren't considering any direct TC applications. To be honest it's worded like a generic email sent out to all applicants, I don't think they've actually reviewed our individual applications and shortlisted us if circumstances do change.

Unless anyone else has got a different response from them?

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021

There's a chance that some TC offer holders, for different reasons, are unable to accept their offers. In that case, the game is on. But I wouldn't bet the farm on succeeding.

Reactions: Adrian_S and Rob93

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They don’t want to reject you outright in case they do need to change their mind and consider you again. This could happen if all their offerees turn down their offer.

So to me, this is a, “it’s highly likely you won’t be considered any further unless we are really unlucky and need to reconsider bringing candidates through”.

I used to do things like this all the time - it’s quite normal unfortunately!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I received the exact same email, I think you might have misunderstood it. I'm pretty sure it means they were able to fully recruit trainees from the vac scheme and aren't considering any direct TC applications. To be honest it's worded like a generic email sent out to all applicants, I don't think they've actually reviewed our individual applications and shortlisted us if circumstances do change.

Unless anyone else has got a different response from them?
    I agree they probably haven’t reviewed applications at all yet. They would do that if they need to though.

TCgrad

Standard Member
    Apr 25, 2022
    If you are told it might take a couple of weeks to hear after a final interview, at what point is it okay to follow up again?

Also, how positive an indication is it if you are asked a couple of times about current offers/communicating any offers you get from other firms?

rollss

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 20, 2022
    I haven’t heard from Withers for about 3 months since I did the Capp assessment. Would it be acceptable for me to send an email asking for an update or would they find it annoying? I’ve seen someone on here who got the initial interview a day after doing the assessment and the app deadline was 30th of June.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    If you are told it might take a couple of weeks to hear after a final interview, at what point is it okay to follow up again?

Also, how positive an indication is it if you are asked a couple of times about current offers/communicating any offers you get from other firms?
    I'd suggest reaching out only when the timeframe they mentioned they'd get back to you in has elapsed i.e. once a couple weeks have passed. Them asking about current offers may just be to know if they need to speed up processing the outcome of your application, although I am not sure about this. @Jessica Booker may be able to provide a better insight!

TCgrad

Standard Member
    Apr 25, 2022
    I'd suggest reaching out only when the timeframe they mentioned they'd get back to you in has elapsed i.e. once a couple weeks have passed. Them asking about current offers may just be to know if they need to speed up processing the outcome of your application, although I am not sure about this. @Jessica Booker may be able to provide a better insight!

Thank you! I thought this about the offer point, just wanted to check because I was asked specifically to get in touch if I received any other offers.

Reactions: AvniD

rollss

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 20, 2022
    If i’ve forgotten to add soemthing in an email to grad recruitment and sent it already is it ok to send a reply to that email just adding in the extra info or is that too much?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would say after three weeks has passed.

I don’t think it is any indication. They are just asking for their process/understanding - it’s quite a common thing to ask, and for me it’s never been an indication of outcome when I have asked it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.