TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I checked my Freshfields application portal and it says my ap-plication was last updated yesterday but no email. I don't want to say or worry anyone herw but that just mean that graduate recruitment opened my application yesterday.

kurokeroo

Junior Lawyer
    Apr 3, 2022
    Please provide details of 1-3 achievements or activities that demonstrate the qualities we look for in a Macfarlanes trainee. You may include both academic and non academic achievements.

What sort of activities/qualities has anybody thats completed this part mentioned in this?
    (in need of some inspiration/clarification that I'm on the right path)

In my successful app, I wrote about how I organised and led 2 events and participated in a law reform competition. I focused mainly on skills posted on their website!

Reactions: sxw517 and samni

Radiator

Standard Member
    Jul 14, 2022
    In my successful app, I wrote about how I organised and led 2 events and participated in a law reform competition. I focused mainly on skills posted on their website!
    Hi Kurokeroo. I have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate your insight on. Following the written application, was it just an assessment day afterwards or did you have to do any of those psychometric tests or video interviews? Also, how long did it roughly take to hear back from Macfarlanes following the written application?

malvern3142

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2022
    Does anyone know if Addleshaw Goddard recruits for their direct TC on a rolling basis? The deadline is on the 31st of July, so would like to know if it is actually worthwhile. Thanks!
    I think they're rolling, or at the very least they just screen applicants on a rolling basis since I haven't heard of anyone actually being contacted by them yet. Someone from Addleshaw viewed my LinkedIn profile a couple weeks back, so I'm assuming that was related to my application.

Last edited:

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Does anyone know if Addleshaw Goddard recruits for their direct TC on a rolling basis? The deadline is on the 31st of July, so would like to know if it is actually worthwhile. Thanks!

They are rolling. I sent an email to grad recruitment in April asking if I should wait until I get my final year results in July before applying, and they replied saying that I should submit my application as soon as possible because they were rolling and that I could submit the rest of my grades after I’ve submitted my apps. Hope that helps :)

Bradley Draper

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 11, 2020
    They are rolling. I sent an email to grad recruitment in April asking if I should wait until I get my final year results in July before applying, and they replied saying that I should submit my application as soon as possible because they were rolling and that I could submit the rest of my grades after I’ve submitted my apps. Hope that helps :)
    Ah ok, thanks a lot @Adrian_S and @malvern3142! I think I'll prioritise getting Weil and Stephenson Harwood completed since they are both non-rolling

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    "Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector"- This is a question with a 250 word limit. Not really sure how much in depth I am supposed to talk about the open days and events because they tend to be quite standard/similar but the high-ish word limit seems like we need some depth? would appreciate some advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    "Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector"- This is a question with a 250 word limit. Not really sure how much in depth I am supposed to talk about the open days and events because they tend to be quite standard/similar but the high-ish word limit seems like we need some depth? would appreciate some advice.
    Rather than describing the events, focus on what you did at the events or what you learned from them (especially if this then links to your career motivation).

If you have lots of events you have been to, you could list more of the ones that were more passive (e.g. you weren't inputting into the event) or less relevant to the firm you are applying to, and provide a bit more context on those that you had more actively involved in or were more linked to the firm you are applying to.

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Thanks for this @kurokeroo! Did you also explicitly name the skills or just tried to show them through the examples? I've heard mixed ideas of explicitly writing out the skills but considering the way the question is phrased, it seems like they want you to spell it out

kurokeroo

Junior Lawyer
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hi Kurokeroo. I have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate your insight on. Following the written application, was it just an assessment day afterwards or did you have to do any of those psychometric tests or video interviews? Also, how long did it roughly take to hear back from Macfarlanes following the written application?
    It was just an AC. As for how long it took, I'd say it took a little less than a month; I think around three weeks for me to receive the AC invite!

kurokeroo

Junior Lawyer
    Apr 3, 2022
    Thanks for this @kurokeroo! Did you also explicitly name the skills or just tried to show them through the examples? I've heard mixed ideas of explicitly writing out the skills but considering the way the question is phrased, it seems like they want you to spell it out
    I started off explicitly stating the skill and then using an example to back it up. I used the STAR method when describing my experiences :)

Reactions: samni
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.