TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ria030

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2022
Rejected post TC interview

The firm provided a generic response saying they have too many applications to provide feedback following interviews.

Would it be improper to message my interviewer on LinkedIn and ask for advice on how to improve? As really unsure on where I went wrong here.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021

The firm provided a generic response saying they have too many applications to provide feedback following interviews.

Would it be improper to message my interviewer on LinkedIn and ask for advice on how to improve? As really unsure on where I went wrong here.

a little surprised by this - i thought firms always gave feedback to applicants who made it to interview/AC. if you don’t mind me asking, what firm is this?

Reactions: S87

ria030

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2022
a little surprised by this - i thought firms always gave feedback to applicants who made it to interview/AC. if you don’t mind me asking, what firm is this?
Harbottle & Lewis!

I didn't expect it either, the email I received stated:

Unfortunately having given considerable thought to your application we are unable to progress your application to the next stage. The number of applications was particularly high and it has been a very difficult decision to make.

I regret that we are unable to give feedback owing to the large volume of applications that we deal with at this time.

• Sad
  • 🤝
Reactions: Alison C, S87 and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I think the message is probably incorrect in the fact they haven’t interviewed too many candidates. I wonder if you got a “template” rejection that was sent to people at all stages of the recruitment process?

I wouldn’t ask on LinkedIn. I would go back to the recruiter and ask the feedback given you have been interviewed and basically insinuate that you will consider raising a Subject Access Request to obtain as much detail as possible if they aren’t able to provide a short summary as to why you have been unsuccessful.

The only time I wouldn’t do this is if it was a pre-recorded questions video interview. Then I wouldn’t hold out much hope for feedback given the higher volumes of candidates who will complete that stage.

LokieLow

Feb 12, 2022
Does freshfields automatically send out invites for the watson glaser test or do you have to be shortlisted for it? If you have to be shortlisted for it, does anyone know the rough % of applicants who gets shortlisted?

ria030

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2022
I think the message is probably incorrect in the fact they haven’t interviewed too many candidates. I wonder if you got a “template” rejection that was sent to people at all stages of the recruitment process?

I wouldn’t ask on LinkedIn. I would go back to the recruiter and ask the feedback given you have been interviewed and basically insinuate that you will consider raising a Subject Access Request to obtain as much detail as possible if they aren’t able to provide a short summary as to why you have been unsuccessful.

The only time I wouldn’t do this is if it was a pre-recorded questions video interview. Then I wouldn’t hold out much hope for feedback given the higher volumes of candidates who will complete that stage.
Thank you Jessica! :)

Will follow up with GR and hopefully I do receive some feedback.

CorporateLawBeginner

Standard Member
Jun 16, 2022
Sometimes it isn't anything you did wrong. The competition might just be that good. Either way, take what you can in terms of feedback and come back stronger. Don't be disheartened and never compare your journey to anyone else's because you simply won't be able to make sense of it. Your time will come. I've been through about 3-4 cycles myself.

I had similar feedback on an AC and also failed that same AC despite seemingly doing everything right. That just tells me that the other competitors did it better and is motivation for me to improve myself and make myself as reject-proof as possible.

Good luck!
Thank you ever so much for your response. I definitely do not feel deterred, even if there was a brief period of having to hide my dejection whilst at work. It was my dream firm so I think I focused too heavily on it, it almost felt as if it was 'meant to be', as stupid as that sounds. I knew the firm inside out, spoke with previous employees, and consumed all the information that I could online. Next time I won't put all my proverbial eggs into their basket, and shall look elsewhere also!

Good luck, I hope you get your dream position soon kind stranger!

• 🤝
Reactions: NaimK

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,
Do you have any advice on how to succeed in written assessments. Last year, I got to the test stage for Simmons & Simmons but failed the written test.

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Roughly how long after do the ACs take place after the WG assuming you’re successful? Looking for a general timeline to prevent travelling clashes! Is there a general timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.