Tax Help

D.Cole

Future Trainee
Apr 12, 2019
Hi All,

I’m starting a vacation scheme soon and they’ve sat me in Tax - which has made me nervous since tax is meant to be notoriously hard and mathematical. I was wondering if anyone had done a vacation scheme in Tax (or sat there as part of your training contract) and could give me a rough idea of typical tasks you do, so I can prepare? For instance, what kind of maths will I need to know (e.g. percentages)? Can you recommend any resources to help me get to grips with it? (I wanted to buy a Tax law textbook but they’re £100+!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

I’m starting a vacation scheme soon and they’ve sat me in Tax - which has made me nervous since tax is meant to be notoriously hard and mathematical. I was wondering if anyone had done a vacation scheme in Tax (or sat there as part of your training contract) and could give me a rough idea of typical tasks you do, so I can prepare? For instance, what kind of maths will I need to know (e.g. percentages)? Can you recommend any resources to help me get to grips with it? (I wanted to buy a Tax law textbook but they’re £100+!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

I have limited experience with tax, so take this with a pinch of salt -- but it's likely the tasks you do on a vacation scheme will be very simple and won't require you to perform any complex calculations. You wouldn't be expected to have any prior understand of tax and I imagine they'll mostly involve you with research tasks and/or drafting.

The way you can impress is less about your existing knowledge and more about:
    • Do you show a willingness to learn?
    • Are you enthusiastic about approaching the work, even if it is outside your comfort zone?
    • Do you take feedback on board?

D.Cole

Future Trainee
    Apr 12, 2019
    I have limited experience with tax, so take this with a pinch of salt -- but it's likely the tasks you do on a vacation scheme will be very simple and won't require you to perform any complex calculations. You wouldn't be expected to have any prior understand of tax and I imagine they'll mostly involve you with research tasks and/or drafting.

The way you can impress is less about your existing knowledge and more about:
    • Do you show a willingness to learn?
    • Are you enthusiastic about approaching the work, even if it is outside your comfort zone?
    • Do you take feedback on board?

Thanks Jaysen!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen!
    I am so sorry that I didn’t see this until now! I sat in tax at Shearman and really enjoyed it!

I’m assuming your scheme is either finished or you might be on it still perhaps? How have you found tax?? Interested to hear your thoughts :) (if you’d be up for doing a vac diary this could be really great insight for people who might be a bit wary of tax as I certainly was too!!)

Reactions: Jaysen

D.Cole

Future Trainee
    Apr 12, 2019
    I am so sorry that I didn’t see this until now! I sat in tax at Shearman and really enjoyed it!

I’m assuming your scheme is either finished or you might be on it still perhaps? How have you found tax?? Interested to hear your thoughts :) (if you’d be up for doing a vac diary this could be really great insight for people who might be a bit wary of tax as I certainly was too!!)

Hi, yes my scheme is finished now! I actually really enjoyed tax, it wasn’t mathematical at all nor were the tasks they gave me impossibly difficult :) I’d be interested in doing a vac diary. Can you PM me the details?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Helena and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi, yes my scheme is finished now! I actually really enjoyed tax, it wasn’t mathematical at all nor were the tasks they gave me impossibly difficult :) I’d be interested in doing a vac diary. Can you PM me the details?
    Absolutely!! I will be coordinating the vac diaries next week so will send you a message soon! :) really glad to hear you enjoyed it as well! It’s a departmental seat I would consider doing as a trainee

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Absolutely!! I will be coordinating the vac diaries next week so will send you a message soon! :) really glad to hear you enjoyed it as well! It’s a departmental seat I would consider doing as a trainee
    Hey Alice,

Just to add to this, I'll be doing a vac scheme diary too once I have heard back regarding my TC!

Thanks,
    Dan :)

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.