TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
At what point would people recommend chasing a law firm? They told us we would hear end of last week, and I’ve heard nothing. I messaged grad recruitment on Monday but not heard anything back. They specifically said we would hear back either way. What would people recommend?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
At what point would people recommend chasing a law firm? They told us we would hear end of last week, and I’ve heard nothing. I messaged grad recruitment on Monday but not heard anything back. They specifically said we would hear back either way. What would people recommend?
Do you know if others have heard back?

As you got in touch with them on Monday and haven’t heard back I would wait until next Monday to reach out again unless you have a specific deadline you need to hear the outcome by due to, for example, competing offers.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Ricecakes

Aug 10, 2022
Hi - hopefully someone can help, Im in an incredibly fortunate position of receiving two TCs but im really struggling to decide between two firms but one is for this year and the other starts in 2024. For context both law firms have similar seat options, and do similar work so would get similar experience, both are American (so small intake etc.), and are well regarded.
However the 2022 one was a direct TC so havent been able to send as much 1 on 1 time with the associate/partners etc there whereas i did a VS with the 2024 one so i feel much more emotionally invested in that firm.
Would be super helpful to hear what others have done in similar situations e.g. basing decisions off culture, being able to start work earlier etc?
And how big of a deal is a 2 year gap/starting the law journey 2 years later?
Thanks!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - hopefully someone can help, Im in an incredibly fortunate position of receiving two TCs but im really struggling to decide between two firms but one is for this year and the other starts in 2024. For context both law firms have similar seat options, and do similar work so would get similar experience, both are American (so small intake etc.), and are well regarded.
However the 2022 one was a direct TC so havent been able to send as much 1 on 1 time with the associate/partners etc there whereas i did a VS with the 2024 one so i feel much more emotionally invested in that firm.
Would be super helpful to hear what others have done in similar situations e.g. basing decisions off culture, being able to start work earlier etc?
And how big of a deal is a 2 year gap/starting the law journey 2 years later?
Thanks!!
A couple of things:

1) You could explain to the firm you didn’t do a VS with that you’d like to come in for a half day or so to meet some lawyers and spend time in the firm. You can explain your position as to why you are requesting if that could be possible

2) you could also ask the 2024 firm whether there is any chance of your start date to be brought forward

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Hi all,

A question for @Jessica Booker and anyone else that can speak from experience.

I undertook a Vacation Scheme with a firm, following which candidates are automatically considered for a TC. This was one of two schemes for a medium trainee intake. Some have received offers and I know someone who has been rejected.

I am still waiting and I know of someone in the same boat.

I appreciate it may be difficult to advise without further context. However, is this more likely to mean that I’m rejected, the offers are being staggered or that I’m on a maybe/reserve list?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ricecakes

Aug 10, 2022
    A couple of things:

1) You could explain to the firm you didn’t do a VS with that you’d like to come in for a half day or so to meet some lawyers and spend time in the firm. You can explain your position as to why you are requesting if that could be possible

2) you could also ask the 2024 firm whether there is any chance of your start date to be brought forward
    thanks for your reply Jessica! the first suggestion is a good idea, but not sure if they would be receptive of me asking to come in as I have already accepted their offer since the turnaround for that was really quick and they don't know that I have an offer elsewhere but do know that i did vac schemes, so not sure if they would expect me to already be 100% sure that I want to work for them if I have already accepted!

Sadly, I have already asked about moving the start date up and they said its only really possible if someone drops out of the year ahead and so out of their hands, but that I could be considered to be top of the waiting list in that situation.

I also wanted to ask as well, that I have asked the first firm for feedback despite being successful and accepting the tc, as I still want to be able to learn from those experiences, however, the grad rec initially said yes, they would collect feedback, but I haven't received any to date despite me following up a few times in other emails - do you think this has any reflection on the training style and the feedback/lack of feedback that I would receive during the training contract and is this something to note??

Thanks for your help !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

A question for @Jessica Booker and anyone else that can speak from experience.

I undertook a Vacation Scheme with a firm, following which candidates are automatically considered for a TC. This was one of two schemes for a medium trainee intake. Some have received offers and I know someone who has been rejected.

I am still waiting and I know of someone in the same boat.

I appreciate it may be difficult to advise without further context. However, is this more likely to mean that I’m rejected, the offers are being staggered or that I’m on a maybe/reserve list?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    It could be a range of reasons why, but it sounds like decisions are staggered and therefore you are still in contention. If it was a straight no, you would have heard back by now. They maybe looking at other candidates (both VS and direct TC applicants) and waiting to see how accepting TC offer rates go before they make more offers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thanks for your reply Jessica! the first suggestion is a good idea, but not sure if they would be receptive of me asking to come in as I have already accepted their offer since the turnaround for that was really quick and they don't know that I have an offer elsewhere but do know that i did vac schemes, so not sure if they would expect me to already be 100% sure that I want to work for them if I have already accepted!

Sadly, I have already asked about moving the start date up and they said its only really possible if someone drops out of the year ahead and so out of their hands, but that I could be considered to be top of the waiting list in that situation.

I also wanted to ask as well, that I have asked the first firm for feedback despite being successful and accepting the tc, as I still want to be able to learn from those experiences, however, the grad rec initially said yes, they would collect feedback, but I haven't received any to date despite me following up a few times in other emails - do you think this has any reflection on the training style and the feedback/lack of feedback that I would receive during the training contract and is this something to note??

Thanks for your help !
    No - I don’t think it’s a reflection of their training. The team will be exceptionally busy and unfortunately it won’t be a priority, especially if you have accepted the offer.

Reactions: Ricecakes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker, can you please suggest good resources on the use of SWOT, PESTEL, and porter's 5 forces in the legal industry and the best method. I am struggling to find content related to law firms etc...

thank you
    I don’t have such information - sorry I can’t be of help on this.

Reactions: GXA123

YJ

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hello @Jessica Booker, can you please suggest good resources on the use of SWOT, PESTEL, and porter's 5 forces in the legal industry and the best method. I am struggling to find content related to law firms etc...

thank you
    Look on Simranjeet YouTube! She has two videos on article analysis which go into SWOT and PESTLE in depth

christmastree123

Dec 24, 2018

thank you
    Although not directly related to the legal industry, a friend recommended this video and it is really helpful in explaining and applying all the three frameworks and other factors to a legal/ commercial case studies :)

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020

thank you
    Hi! The Commercial Law Handbook by Jake Schogger covers this quite well relating SWOT and PESTLE to law firms and back to tasks you might have to do at an AC.

Reactions: applyingfortc

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Hey everyone! Gearing myself up for the upcoming app cycle (winter vacs etc) and want to start prepping. Does anyone have a list of deadlines? The old dates are still on most websites but it would be helpful if there was a list of firms' deadlines based on the last cycle as i doubt they change too much? Thanks in advance :D

Reactions: kat_ and ellwilsen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With vacation scheme season over for 2021-22, I will be locking this thread. Please can all future discussions on vacation schemes be discussed in the 2022-23 thread going forward!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! Gearing myself up for the upcoming app cycle (winter vacs etc) and want to start prepping. Does anyone have a list of deadlines? The old dates are still on most websites but it would be helpful if there was a list of firms' deadlines based on the last cycle as i doubt they change too much? Thanks in advance :D
    Hi @Sandrr_O - would you mind posting this in the 2022-23 vacation scheme thread? I am going to lock this thread where the 2021-22 season is over.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.