TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive answer. I was definitely leaning more towards the traditional TC and this has solidified that choice, however, regarding your point about the pass rates of the LPC vs SQE, does this change significantly for the accelerated LPC?; the firm has informed me that I will be required to take the 7-month course).
Unfortunately, the stats for the LPC are never separated out in terms of the accelerated course vs standard year course, so it is hard to determine. However, the failure rates on courses where the firm has a bespoke course (which the accelerated course generally is) are typically minimal - less than 5% from my experience. The reason for that is the academic providers monitor your performance much more closely and ensure necessary support is put in place where they are getting the money and brand recognition from saying the law firm put their future trainees through their courses. They risk losing much more money and reputation if they screw up and don't support law firm's trainee intakes compared to individuals who are self-funding or where firms just reimburse their trainees to study at any provider.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
Does hearing back later compared to other candidates post-VS suggest that I’m further down the ‘maybe/reject’ list? There are already 3 people across the two schemes that the firm organised getting offers since Friday.. I know I should be patient but I’m just wondering whether it is better to expect a rejection at this stage 😅

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does hearing back later compared to other candidates post-VS suggest that I’m further down the ‘maybe/reject’ list? There are already 3 people across the two schemes that the firm organised getting offers since Friday.. I know I should be patient but I’m just wondering whether it is better to expect a rejection at this stage 😅
Not necessarily - there are a whole load of reasons why some people hear back earlier/later than others.

Reactions: ashleigh22

lekimdinger

Junior Lawyer
Nov 24, 2021
Unfortunately, the stats for the LPC are never separated out in terms of the accelerated course vs standard year course, so it is hard to determine. However, the failure rates on courses where the firm has a bespoke course (which the accelerated course generally is) are typically minimal - less than 5% from my experience. The reason for that is the academic providers monitor your performance much more closely and ensure necessary support is put in place where they are getting the money and brand recognition from saying the law firm put their future trainees through their courses. They risk losing much more money and reputation if they screw up and don't support law firm's trainee intakes compared to individuals who are self-funding or where firms just reimburse their trainees to study at any provider.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you so much for your comprehensive answers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - what sort of reasons would these be? Thanks!
There are literally hundreds of reasons why.

Each decision requires getting feedback from multiple people. And those people vary between candidates. How quickly one set of people get back with feedback can be very different to the next. It’s a human process that is not standardised. And therefore it can take different amounts of time for different people.

Reactions: OB and mailer

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    There are literally hundreds of reasons why.

Each decision requires getting feedback from multiple people. And those people vary between candidates. How quickly one set of people get back with feedback can be very different to the next. It’s a human process that is not standardised. And therefore it can take different amounts of time for different people.
    @mailer some candidates also have TC offers from other firms so push grad rec to give them an earlier decision so they can decide within the deadline. I wouldn't worry, good luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Following the vacation scheme I have accepted a training contract offer from Travers Smith! Woohoo!

If anyone reading this is a career changer, in their first cycle or feeling overwhelmed - you can do this! Happy to help anyone in any way I can.
    Congratulations - this is fantastic news!

Clap Applause GIF

Reactions: Lily1234

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    If anyone's done the V&E vacation scheme, do you remember when grad rec said they'd get back to us with offers? Was it towards the end of August (I could be misremembering this)?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Following the vacation scheme I have accepted a training contract offer from Travers Smith! Woohoo!

If anyone reading this is a career changer, in their first cycle or feeling overwhelmed - you can do this! Happy to help anyone in any way I can.
    Congratulations @Lily1234! This is wonderful news- very well done!! 👏 👏 👏

Reactions: Lily1234

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting. Why when I have accepted. What is the point of that?
    1) some people don’t want references checked until the offer is made (for instance if they are in employment, they won’t want their current employer to know)

2) Firms have a pretty robust recent e check process. That would be pretty arduous, time consuming and costly if they did that for any candidate they interviewed. The vast majority of the references would never be needed.

Therefore waiting until someone has accepted the offer and then doing the check thoroughly is the most suitable approach. Reference checks are needed to ensure candidates are telling the truth, and so doing it once people have accepted will be likely result in the most efficient use of time.

So basically I quit my summer job at a company after a few weeks. I have a few insight days coming up and they refused my holiday for those days, so I never turned up again. I don't need to give notice if I've worked there less than a month.

But the problem is I've worked for this company in the past, so if I put down the previous time I worked there as work experience, if they get a reference, 1.) they will find out that I left my job so soon, 2.) it could say I was dismissed for 'gross misconduct' for unauthorised absence, as they had to do what they had to do to remove, 3.) that I never told them about the second time I worked there.

sorry, I know that's worded bad

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.