TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I finished my vac scheme a week ago and wasn't offered a TC due to underperforming in the final interview. Regardless, it was a great experience and I'll probs apply to direct TCs now. However, would this be more positive/negative on my overall future applications? i.e. I've got the commercial law experience, but would firms be super wary about me not continuing on with the firm that I did a vac scheme at? Thanks.
Not Jessica, but i didn’t convert a vac scheme and found that having that experience was fundamental to my success on getting a TC! I was able to leverage it to show what I learnt on the scheme / why I was sure on a career in commercial law! It also lead to good interview discussions about what I did on the scheme and what I enjoyed (and why it led me to apply to that firm)! I only once got asked why I didn’t convert and I was truthful and the Partners on the call were very understanding and expressed how common it was not to convert!

• 🤝
Reactions: Legalmel_99 and AvniD

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
Not Jessica, but i didn’t convert a vac scheme and found that having that experience was fundamental to my success on getting a TC! I was able to leverage it to show what I learnt on the scheme / why I was sure on a career in commercial law! It also lead to good interview discussions about what I did on the scheme and what I enjoyed (and why it led me to apply to that firm)! I only once got asked why I didn’t convert and I was truthful and the Partners on the call were very understanding and expressed how common it was not to convert!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! :))

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hello everyone ☺️ Every year I use this platform and see people post about TCs I never thought it would be my turn.

I’ve secured a Training contract this year! Cannot believe it. The call was definitely worth all the rejection I’ve suffered in the past. Earlier this year I opened up about not converting my vacation schemes into offers it was devastating. I also had a vacation scheme this year which I didn’t convert which made me think the process just isn’t for me, I was planning to give up after this cycle but I tried direct TC and this worked.

if anyone ever feels demotivated trust me I can relate this is my 4th cycle!! Good luck anyone still waiting on outcomes and if your still debating on whether it’s “too late” to submit that application - it’s never too late ☺️

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hello everyone ☺️ Every year I use this platform and see people post about TCs I never thought it would be my turn.

I’ve secured a Training contract this year! Cannot believe it. The call was definitely worth all the rejection I’ve suffered in the past. Earlier this year I opened up about not converting my vacation schemes into offers it was devastating. I also had a vacation scheme this year which I didn’t convert which made me think the process just isn’t for me, I was planning to give up after this cycle but I tried direct TC and this worked.

if anyone ever feels demotivated trust me I can relate this is my 4th cycle!! Good luck anyone still waiting on outcomes and if your still debating on whether it’s “too late” to submit that application - it’s never too late ☺️
    This is fantastic news! Congratulations 👏🏼

• Love
    Reactions: Legalmel_99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

That is fantastic news! Congratulations on securing a TC - I love posts like this as it really shows that determination, perseverance and hard work pay off!

Happy Fun GIF by ABC Network

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I finished my vac scheme a week ago and wasn't offered a TC due to underperforming in the final interview. Regardless, it was a great experience and I'll probs apply to direct TCs now. However, would this be more positive/negative on my overall future applications? i.e. I've got the commercial law experience, but would firms be super wary about me not continuing on with the firm that I did a vac scheme at? Thanks.
    Completing a vacation scheme will only ever be a positive addition to an application.

Yes, firms will be curious as to why you didn’t convert to a training contract. But at the same time they know that there are a multitude of reasons for this and that even the firm who turned you down might of wished they didn’t have to. It might be that you are not just the right match for that firm, but could be a better match for the firm you are applying to.

Reactions: AvniD

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

First of all congratulations.

This is the motivation that I needed and this is ther greatest achievementnlike being rejected from VS many times and getting a TC am proud of you.

I have been doubting myself the past few days and hearing that it was your 4th application cycle really motivated me thank you for this.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

This is such wonderful news to open the forum up to! You've done so, so well and your post will resonate with so many in our community.

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020
    In what way would the training be better at the other firm? And how vastly different is your career progression between the two firms? And also, what/do you attach any significance to culture over training quality or vice versa?
    Thanks for replying - I would say the training is better at firm X because of the training system the firm has, which a lot of trainees emphasised, and I guess because X firm has non-billable hours, it would make a culture where seniors are more likely to invest into me as there's no pressure to meet targets. There wouldn't be a vast difference in career progression. Both firms have a significant presence and expertise in the transactional space, which I'm interested in. However, I think X firm has a better PE, Funds, Finance and general corporate practice than Firm Y.

It's hard to decide what I attach significance to, I know culture is important in terms of feeling genuine and authentic at the firm I train at, and I think Firm Y really made that impression on me during the vacation scheme.

All in all it's a difficult decision to make - and I'm really indecisive when it comes to decisions like this to make. (sorry for the essay and if it's unclear)

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020
    This is a tough decision. Do you have a gut feeling? I’m a big believe in gut instinct - it has always worked out well for me. Alternatively flip a coin - when it’s in the air you will know which way you want it to land and that says a lot!

From a personal point of view - I would choose culture. I’ve been in work for a few years and working somewhere you cannot be yourself and don’t get on with people well is miserable. You spend more time working in an average week than with family and friends so it has to be somewhere you enjoy.
    I do have a gut feeling - but it's more my heart (having an emotional connection) leaning towards Firm Y which I enjoyed during the VS, and my head/mind (logical, rational explanation) is leaning towards Firm X.

I agree with your point, in terms on culture being important and pivotal - I'm just terrible at making choices like this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I do have a gut feeling - but it's more my heart (having an emotional connection) leaning towards Firm Y which I enjoyed during the VS, and my head/mind (logical, rational explanation) is leaning towards Firm X.

I agree with your point, in terms on culture being important and pivotal - I'm just terrible at making choices like this.
    What is the compromise you will be making for the “heart” firm?

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Compromise - would be to a lesser extent having the same level of expertise in PE, Funds, Finance (areas I'm interested in) to the other firm which has a stronger expertise.
    And if you ranked the other firm as 10/10 for this work, how would you rank this firm out of 10?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thanks for replying - I would say the training is better at firm X because of the training system the firm has, which a lot of trainees emphasised, and I guess because X firm has non-billable hours, it would make a culture where seniors are more likely to invest into me as there's no pressure to meet targets. There wouldn't be a vast difference in career progression. Both firms have a significant presence and expertise in the transactional space, which I'm interested in. However, I think X firm has a better PE, Funds, Finance and general corporate practice than Firm Y.

It's hard to decide what I attach significance to, I know culture is important in terms of feeling genuine and authentic at the firm I train at, and I think Firm Y really made that impression on me during the vacation scheme.

All in all it's a difficult decision to make - and I'm really indecisive when it comes to decisions like this to make. (sorry for the essay and if it's unclear)
    In my view, work is important but feeling supported to express yourself honestly and put yourself out there at your workplace is just as important as well so the balance needs to be there at whatever firm you choose to train at. The ranking of a practice area may change in the future, and unless firm Y's practice area's reputation is significantly worse than X's, I wouldn't focus too much on this being a metric for your decision.

What it should boil down to in your case, imo, is the quality of training and culture. You know Y has a good culture, but I'm unsure if you find their quality of training up to mark. I would reach out to trainees or go over your notes about the training program to see if it is vastly different from X. If you find that they're comparable, go for Y. If you find that X is much better when it comes to training, reflect on what you liked and didn't like about their culture and whether you feel you can thrive at the firm even though the culture isn't similar to Y's- if the answer is yes, then go for X.

If you're still confused about which firm to pick even after all this, go with your gut instinct. It's the one thing you know you should trust because it's your inner, rational voice. Also remember at the end of the day, what you get out of working at a firm also depends on what you put in, so even if certain things are not as you hoped for them to be when you make this decision, you still can make the best of what you get given if you're able to put your mind to it. I really hope this helps in some way!

TCLA1234

Standard Member
    May 13, 2022
    Hi there, I could really use some advice as I'm crazy stressed at the moment.

I finished a vacation scheme at an international firm last week. We had expected to hear back by the end of this week at the latest.

I know that just under half of the people have heard back with offers. Whilst at least half of us received an email at the end of the day today, saying that they are unable to get back to us this week and that we should hopefully hear Monday or early next week.

For reference, I would certainly have expected over half of the candidates to be taken on (it would be quite surprising if half were rejected). Also, out of the people waiting to hear, I would expect one of them to be rejected, only because I overheard quite a few comments from his supervisors stating how he was not taking the experience particularly seriously and that they were going to tell graduate recruitment.

Finally, I know that direct TC ac's have been going on this week, so I am not sure if this could be a factor in the delay.

I would really appreciate some advice as I am currently going out of my mind with stress and I have an exam in two weeks that I am currently trying to prepare for, but am really distracted by all of this tbh.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

I finished a vacation scheme at an international firm last week. We had expected to hear back by the end of this week at the latest.

I know that just under half of the people have heard back with offers. Whilst at least half of us received an email at the end of the day today, saying that they are unable to get back to us this week and that we should hopefully hear Monday or early next week.

For reference, I would certainly have expected over half of the candidates to be taken on (it would be quite surprising if half were rejected). Also, out of the people waiting to hear, I would expect one of them to be rejected, only because I overheard quite a few comments from his supervisors stating how he was not taking the experience particularly seriously and that they were going to tell graduate recruitment.

Finally, I know that direct TC ac's have been going on this week, so I am not sure if this could be a factor in the delay.

I would really appreciate some advice as I am currently going out of my mind with stress and I have an exam in two weeks that I am currently trying to prepare for, but am really distracted by all of this tbh.
    It's most important that you focus on the long game. If you don't get an offer from this firm, you will get an offer from a firm that is a better fit for you.
    My suggestion would be to let go of the outcome and focus fully on your exam prep as if you already have a career. You do: it might be with this firm, in this role; it might be something/somewhere different.

You already know you aren't at the top of this firm's list, which is something beyond your control. You've admitted that you don't even know if the odds are 50:50. You've done the hard work and if it doesn't pay off with this firm, it's still learning in the bank, and the payoff is there for another point. Equally, they haven't rejected you yet, which at the very least means that, if/when they don't offer you a TC, you can be fully assured that you aren't that random error you feel you might be.

If you don't focus on the exam, you will potentially be having to mop that up for way longer, and blaming the firm, when they are only playing a very difficult game themselves.

Just do normal things. Go to Starbucks, or the park, or the library. Exercise, drink water, and revise. You are doing beautifully.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The direct TCs are likely to be something that is contributing to. In addition, if the vacation scheme intake was quite large, then it can actually be pretty time consuming trying to catch up with all supervisors to get the necessary feedback etc. That can also easily take more than a week, especially if anyone is off on leave (and it’s prime holiday time).

So I really don’t think this means anything either way unfortunately. I know it’s difficult, but it’s just a process of waiting to hear back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.