TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker, just to clarify - when receiving a verbal offer, if HR says they give 1 week to respond, I presume that is upon receipt of the written offer?

Yes, you can't really respond to a verbal offer. If you haven't had the written offer within 5 days of the verbal offer, I would give them a call and explain you'd like to see the written offer and to ask when you should expect it.

Fifi

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 6, 2018
Has anyone done the Vinson & Elkins vacation scheme before?

I am really nervous about my upcoming scheme with them and I have no idea what to expect.

If anyone has any advice or experience with Vinson & Elkins, I would really appreciate any advice/tips.

Reactions: Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Has anyone done the Vinson & Elkins vacation scheme before?

I am really nervous about my upcoming scheme with them and I have no idea what to expect.

If anyone has any advice or experience with Vinson & Elkins, I would really appreciate any advice/tips.

Hey! I just completed it a few weeks ago. Don’t worry at all - everyone’s very welcoming. If you’re running into any issues, definitely speak to your trainee-mentor (they’re all great). James Pritchard is also wonderful if anything is unclear from an admin standpoint. There really aren’t any curveballs.

Any other questions, feel free to DM me.

I know this point is repeated ad nauseum on here but really: just be yourself and relax :) You’ve got this!

Fifi

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 6, 2018
Hey! I just completed it a few weeks ago. Don’t worry at all - everyone’s very welcoming. If you’re running into any issues, definitely speak to your trainee-mentor (they’re all great). James Pritchard is also wonderful if anything is unclear from an admin standpoint. There really aren’t any curveballs.

Any other questions, feel free to DM me.

I know this point is repeated ad nauseum on here but really: just be yourself and relax :) You’ve got this!
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the advice, this is reassuring to hear! :D

• 🤝
Reactions: Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Any advice for managing your emotions when waiting to hear back from firms after vac schemes?
Highly recommend disconnecting from law apps, law-related social media and pursuing things outside of being an aspiring solcitor. For me, this was painting, and in the two weeks that I waited to hear back from firms, I littered my house with some utterly awful art as a way to distract myself from the stress of receiving news from law firms 😅 The reality is, even with this, I was still baseline stressed, anxious and nervous and at some point, I accepted this and informed my inner circle about this so that I could receive their support through this period. Being open about how you feel with your close ones and talking through it will normalise your emotions and make it easier for you to regulate your them because you won't be stressing out as much about how you feel on top of stressing out about hearing back. I really hope this helps and am wishing you the very best with everything! You've got this! 💪

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.