TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianaMartins

Jul 15, 2022
Hi! I am applying for a vacation scheme, and I have to apply through a cover letter. They just said to write about "why I want the vacation scheme and what I would like to gain from the experience". So, this cover page should be around 500 words, right?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hello, this is random question but how accurate are the legalcheek statistics for start time and leave time ? thx
They will never be accurate. LC doesn't detail the sample size for one which means its pretty difficult to determine whether the data is even valid. For instance, if one trainee completes the survey and they work 9am to 10pm but all the other trainees don't complete the survey and they all work 9am to 7pm, its not going to provide an accurate picture.

But the accuracy of a survey is still questionable even if all the trainees completed it. Surveys are known to not be accurate tools (the humans who complete them can often not be very truthful or accurate), and also it depends when you survey them. Employers are quite tactical in when they survey their staff to try and ensure the data is the best (e.g. send a survey out on a Friday just before lunchtime or on pay day, and you are bound to get better results than if you send it on a Monday morning).

However, at least it is giving you some indication. I'd probably weigh up the figures alongside other information, such as feedback on Glassdoor or Chambers Student guide's references to billable hours. Like most things, using multiple sources to verify information is probably the best way to get a more accurate insight into the truth of working hours.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD
They will never be accurate. LC doesn't detail the sample size for one which means its pretty difficult to determine whether the data is even valid. For instance, if one trainee completes the survey and they work 9am to 10pm but all the other trainees don't complete the survey and they all work 9am to 7pm, its not going to provide an accurate picture.

But the accuracy of a survey is still questionable even if all the trainees completed it. Surveys are known to not be accurate tools (the humans who complete them can often not be very truthful or accurate), and also it depends when you survey them. Employers are quite tactical in when they survey their staff to try and ensure the data is the best (e.g. send a survey out on a Friday just before lunchtime or on pay day, and you are bound to get better results than if you send it on a Monday morning).

However, at least it is giving you some indication. I'd probably weigh up the figures alongside other information, such as feedback on Glassdoor or Chambers Student guide's references to billable hours. Like most things, using multiple sources to verify information is probably the best way to get a more accurate insight into the truth of working hours.
that is very helpful thankyou

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! I am applying for a vacation scheme, and I have to apply through a cover letter. They just said to write about "why I want the vacation scheme and what I would like to gain from the experience". So, this cover page should be around 500 words, right?
I'd limit it to one page rather than a number of words tbh. This way, you'll have a more detailed cover letter in case 500 words is too limiting or a more concise one in case 500 words runs into two pages.

• 🤝
Reactions: MarianaMartins

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
Hi everyone 👋

I wanted to drop a note that I have secured a training contract at Skadden! It was one of my top firms due to my interest in international arbitration. I'm a non-law student and a career changer. This was my first cycle and I secured two vac schemes as a result of performing well on the AS Commercial Awareness Competition. When I was first considering the switch to law, I also used a lot of TCLA resources and all the videos/courses, which helped demystify how the City works.

Many people and organisations helped me to get where I am and I would love to help as many people as possible for the upcoming application cycle. Feel free to drop a message with any questions you might have! 😊

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi everyone 👋

I wanted to drop a note that I have secured a training contract at Skadden! It was one of my top firms due to my interest in international arbitration. I'm a non-law student and a career changer. This was my first cycle and I secured two vac schemes as a result of performing well on the AS Commercial Awareness Competition. When I was first considering the switch to law, I also used a lot of TCLA resources and all the videos/courses, which helped demystify how the City works.

Many people and organisations helped me to get where I am and I would love to help as many people as possible for the upcoming application cycle. Feel free to drop a message with any questions you might have! 😊
    Congratulation this is really amazing news go an celebrate after the heatwave has gone.

Reactions: curious_cat

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hi!!
    Do you think shadowing a paralegal is good? I do not have much of work experience... and I was thinking that maybe shadowing a paralegal can be relevant?
    I wouldn't consider it work experience as you aren't really doing anything - shadowing is just watching. It will give you an insight into the work but be aware that the type of work paralegals do hugely varies - at some firms they may do little more than proof read and print documents, others they will do more junior legal tasks and drafting etc.

MarianaMartins

Jul 15, 2022
    I wouldn't consider it work experience as you aren't really doing anything - shadowing is just watching. It will give you an insight into the work but be aware that the type of work paralegals do hugely varies - at some firms they may do little more than proof read and print documents, others they will do more junior legal tasks and drafting etc.
    Yeah good point! Maybe it would only be relevant if I did something when shadowing😥. Thank you for responding!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi!! @Jessica Booker @AvniD
    Do you think shadowing a paralegal is good? I do not have much of work experience... and I was thinking that maybe shadowing a paralegal can be relevant?
    With shadowing, I have found that what you get out of it is entirely dependent on what you put into it. One of my most valuable experiences was when I shadowed barristers for a few days during a mini-pupillage. I would observe their interactions, method of advocacy, tasks they undertook and asked them questions about their work and motivations to be a barrister to understand if this was the right profession for me. I ended up choosing not to go down the barrister route, but had I stayed on the path, I know that this experience would have come in handy when applying for future mini-pupillages and pupillages because I learnt so much about what barristers did and if I would like to do the same in my career.

MarianaMartins

Jul 15, 2022
    With shadowing, I have found that what you get out of it is entirely dependent on what you put into it. One of my most valuable experiences was when I shadowed barristers for a few days during a mini-pupillage. I would observe their interactions, method of advocacy, tasks they undertook and asked them questions about their work and motivations to be a barrister to understand if this was the right profession for me. I ended up choosing not to go down the barrister route, but had I stayed on the path, I know that this experience would have come in handy when applying for future mini-pupillages and pupillages because I learnt so much about what barristers did and if I would like to do the same in my career.
    ohhhh that is interesting !! Yess! Thank you @AvniD ! I am thinking of maybe shadowing a paralegal in case I do not get a vacation scheme... so I can still see how solicitors work and how is like to work in a law firm. I know this is a bit bad to say, but shadowing is still something to put on my CV, right?

• 🤝

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    ohhhh that is interesting !! Yess! Thank you @AvniD ! I am thinking of maybe shadowing a paralegal in case I do not get a vacation scheme... so I can still see how solicitors work and how is like to work in a law firm. I know this is a bit bad to say, but shadowing is still something to put on my CV, right?
    Yes of course you can put it on your CV! I'm just not sure it has any weight beyond showing a general interest in the legal profession much like joining law society at uni, unlike a VS it doesn't have a competitive application process or assessed element to it etc.

MarianaMartins

Jul 15, 2022
    Yes of course you can put it on your CV! I'm just not sure it has any weight beyond showing a general interest in the legal profession much like joining law society at uni, unlike a VS it doesn't have a competitive application process or assessed element to it etc.
    Yes, of course!! I just want to show that I am being proactive and try to find ways to show little knowledge of law firms work, etc. Since if I do not get a VS I literally do not have anything to show for myself, besides pro bono!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!! @Jessica Booker @AvniD
    I think shadowing anyone can be helpful, but if you are looking for training contracts rather than paralegal roles, I’d try to shadow a qualified lawyer or a trainee.

Reactions: MarianaMartins and AvniD

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020
    Hi, I just wanted to ask, with multiple TC offers, what is the best thing to go off when deciding which firm to pick?

Just to provide context, both offers are off the back of doing vacation schemes this summer, one VS was two weeks long, and the other was one week. I enjoyed both of them, they have similar cultures, but I know that one would have better training for areas I'm interested in, such as Private Equity, Finance and Funds but the other firm I enjoyed the people I interacted with more when I networked throughout the VS. Is it better to base my decision off the quality of training and career progression from that training or rather the culture of the firm?

It would be interesting to hear what everyone would base their decision on when at a crossroads like this. Many thanks in advance.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, I just wanted to ask, with multiple TC offers, what is the best thing to go off when deciding which firm to pick?

Just to provide context, both offers are off the back of doing vacation schemes this summer, one VS was two weeks long, and the other was one week. I enjoyed both of them, they have similar cultures, but I know that one would have better training for areas I'm interested in, such as Private Equity, Finance and Funds but the other firm I enjoyed the people I interacted with more when I networked throughout the VS. Is it better to base my decision off the quality of training and career progression from that training or rather the culture of the firm?

It would be interesting to hear what everyone would base their decision on when at a crossroads like this. Many thanks in advance.
    In what way would the training be better at the other firm? And how vastly different is your career progression between the two firms? And also, what/do you attach any significance to culture over training quality or vice versa?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021

This is a tough decision. Do you have a gut feeling? I’m a big believe in gut instinct - it has always worked out well for me. Alternatively flip a coin - when it’s in the air you will know which way you want it to land and that says a lot!

From a personal point of view - I would choose culture. I’ve been in work for a few years and working somewhere you cannot be yourself and don’t get on with people well is miserable. You spend more time working in an average week than with family and friends so it has to be somewhere you enjoy.

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I finished my vac scheme a week ago and wasn't offered a TC due to underperforming in the final interview. Regardless, it was a great experience and I'll probs apply to direct TCs now. However, would this be more positive/negative on my overall future applications? i.e. I've got the commercial law experience, but would firms be super wary about me not continuing on with the firm that I did a vac scheme at? Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.