TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So basically I quit my summer job at a company after a few weeks. I have a few insight days coming up and they refused my holiday for those days, so I never turned up again. I don't need to give notice if I've worked there less than a month.

But the problem is I've worked for this company in the past, so if I put down the previous time I worked there as work experience, if they get a reference, 1.) they will find out that I left my job so soon, 2.) it could say I was dismissed for 'gross misconduct' for unauthorised absence, as they had to do what they had to do to remove, 3.) that I never told them about the second time I worked there.

sorry, I know that's worded bad
1) they won’t care as long as the dates are factual and correct. Short term work placements happen all the time. The only issue would be if you present false employment dates that inflate the period of time you worked there.

2) It would only state that if you had been charged by the employer with gross misconduct. The previous employer would have had to notify you if that was the case. The previous employer could state your employment was terminated on the grounds of unauthorised absence though if that is ultimately what happened. However, if you are concerned about it, one option is not putting the employment down on your application (but then make sure it’s not on anything publicly available like LinkedIn).

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen! I wanted to thank you both for all the hard work you put into the TCLA and demystifying the application process. I have been made two training contract offers from two amazing firms and am over the moon. This would have likely not been possible if it wasn't for the TCLA! More than happy for anyone to reach out if I can help with the application process in any way at all!

The Office Reaction GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen! I wanted to thank you both for all the hard work you put into the TCLA and demystifying the application process. I have been made two training contract offers from two amazing firms and am over the moon. This would have likely not been possible if it wasn't for the TCLA! More than happy for anyone to reach out if I can help with the application process in any way at all!

The Office Reaction GIF
This makes me so happy! Posts like this make my day. Thank you so much for your kind words and congratulations on securing multiple offers - that is an amazing achievement.

Happy Clapping GIF

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

The Office Reaction GIF
    It's so nice to check into the forum and see this. Really really well done for both of those training contract offers 👏 Please do stay in touch via the JLC!

(And bonus points for the office GIF)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

So this thread has reached two million+ views and 19,000 posts 😮

Just a heads up that we will be creating a new thread for the next vacation scheme cycle on Monday, which means we will be locking this thread then.

Nothing will be changing, it will just make it easier to discuss the upcoming vacation scheme cycle.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone,

So this thread has reached two million+ views and 19,000 posts 😮

Just a heads up that we will be creating a new thread for the next vacation scheme cycle on Monday, which means we will be locking this thread then.

Nothing will be changing, it will just make it easier to discuss the upcoming vacation scheme cycle.
    Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thought I'd jump on @ZaraB's bandwagon and share that I've also accepted a TC offer! It definitely felt like a far off pipe dream for so long (especially after falling short at AC stage last cycle but securing a TC with the same firm this year) but this is testament that your day will come and I believe in all of you :)

If anyone wants advice or someone to rant to, my DMs are open. I would also like to say that the Law Firm Profiles on the TCLA Premium Subscription were so helpful to see the type of detail to go into with my applications, as well as the Joe Mallet Application Practice Course (https://www.jmral.com/about-jmr). And of course this forum was great to make friends and connect with my now future colleagues (@ZaraB is stuck with me now!). Thanks again to @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for making this such a great resource for applicants!

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2021
    Hi guys does anyone know if you are able to ask your firm if you can change the location where you study the SQE (still with the same provider but in a different city) or does it have to be on the location where the firm is?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Thought I'd jump on @ZaraB's bandwagon and share that I've also accepted a TC offer! It definitely felt like a far off pipe dream for so long (especially after falling short at AC stage last cycle but securing a TC with the same firm this year) but this is testament that your day will come and I believe in all of you :)

If anyone wants advice or someone to rant to, my DMs are open. I would also like to say that the Law Firm Profiles on the TCLA Premium Subscription were so helpful to see the type of detail to go into with my applications, as well as the Joe Mallet Application Practice Course (https://www.jmral.com/about-jmr). And of course this forum was great to make friends and connect with my now future colleagues (@ZaraB is stuck with me now!). Thanks again to @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for making this such a great resource for applicants!
    Huge congratulations again @OB, you deserve this so much!! Looking forward to studying and working together 🥳✨🎊💫

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Wonderful to see from a long time forum member. Really well done :)

• Love
    Reactions: OB

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Now that I have had a couple of days to let it sink in I can say that I have (finally) received a TC offer from one of the VSs I undertook this summer. So even if the other firm says no when I hear the outcome I still never have to do another TC application again!

Thanks to @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and the gang in the writing group (@Adrian_S @S87 @Raynz @Alison C @lawnoob ) and everyone else who makes this forum what it is - it’s so refreshing to be able to ask those questions and share knowledge with people without fear of judgement or lack of understanding. As much as my friends and family try none of them are in law so the assistance is limited!

This was my third application cycle and first time applying for VSs (I always did direct before as I worked and couldn’t use annual leave for VSs). I’m a state schooled, first to go to uni, 2.1 non-RG graduate without A levels who worked full time or almost full time throughout university so didn’t have a huge host of extra curriculars on my CV. It can be done!

I’m still gonna stick around here and help out where I can, and my messages are open for anyone that has any q’s or wants a chat!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Now that I have had a couple of days to let it sink in I can say that I have (finally) received a TC offer from one of the VSs I undertook this summer. So even if the other firm says no when I hear the outcome I still never have to do another TC application again!

Thanks to @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and the gang in the writing group (@Adrian_S @S87 @Raynz @Alison C @lawnoob ) and everyone else who makes this forum what it is - it’s so refreshing to be able to ask those questions and share knowledge with people without fear of judgement or lack of understanding. As much as my friends and family try none of them are in law so the assistance is limited!

This was my third application cycle and first time applying for VSs (I always did direct before as I worked and couldn’t use annual leave for VSs). I’m a state schooled, first to go to uni, 2.1 non-RG graduate without A levels who worked full time or almost full time throughout university so didn’t have a huge host of extra curriculars on my CV. It can be done!

I’m still gonna stick around here and help out where I can, and my messages are open for anyone that has any q’s or wants a chat!

Abii - so incredibly proud of you. You’ve been an inspiration to many and our writing group wouldn’t have been the same without you. Cannot wait to see how far you go xx

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

Abii - so incredibly proud of you. You’ve been an inspiration to many and our writing group wouldn’t have been the same without you. Cannot wait to see how far you go xx
    @Abii you SO deserve this. While the group can't take credit for helping you write your applications (you did that before its formation), the support there has been tangible. For anyone wondering what the ebb and flow of success look like I think we're seeing it. It's so lovely to hear that it's all coming together for you at this time!

And for anyone reading this and wondering what a writing group is, it's just a bunch of TCLA forum members who decided they would do better when they had some accountability and set up a sub-group here. I'm not sure of the logistics but someone in the team can help if you can't figure it out. If you are hesitating, I think we'd all recommend it. Just start a thread and see if you can muster some interest; set some boundaries (confidentiality, mutual support etc) and just see what comes out of the conversation. We've had a few online meetups and there was even an in-person event involving ice cream (sadly I had to take a rain check on that one).
    Yes she is a force to be reckoned with!!
    Indeed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is fantastic news! Congratulations and well done. It is so great to see one of our more active forum contributors secure a TC!

Clap GIF by One Chicago

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

And another one! Wow this is amazing news! Congratulations - I am delighted to hear this 🥳

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

What a wonderful success story. Really well done - you should be so proud of yourself.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Abii you SO deserve this. While the group can't take credit for helping you write your applications (you did that before its formation), the support there has been tangible. For anyone wondering what the ebb and flow of success look like I think we're seeing it. It's so lovely to hear that it's all coming together for you at this time!

And for anyone reading this and wondering what a writing group is, it's just a bunch of TCLA forum members who decided they would do better when they had some accountability and set up a sub-group here. I'm not sure of the logistics but someone in the team can help if you can't figure it out. If you are hesitating, I think we'd all recommend it. Just start a thread and see if you can muster some interest; set some boundaries (confidentiality, mutual support etc) and just see what comes out of the conversation. We've had a few online meetups and there was even an in-person event involving ice cream (sadly I had to take a rain check on that one).

Indeed.
    It's so nice to see a group like this start up. Well done all of you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.