Joint Venture Help

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hey guys!

Currently doing a Vac Scheme. Would like to know if it's possible to sue just one party under an unincorporated joint venture (with two parties). Did some searching online but could not find anything particularly useful. Plus, having never studied that, I find it difficult to understand...

The context is that there is an incident relating to the JV project and the claimant wants to sue a party in the JV.

Thank you so much! :)

Dipen

Standard Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey guys!

Currently doing a Vac Scheme. Would like to know if it's possible to sue just one party under an unincorporated joint venture (with two parties). Did some searching online but could not find anything particularly useful. Plus, having never studied that, I find it difficult to understand...

The context is that there is an incident relating to the JV project and the claimant wants to sue a party in the JV.

Thank you so much! :)

Perhaps look at the joint venture agreement/constitution for any specific clauses relating to the matter in question. My understanding is that under an unincorporated association, it is possible to sue the one party but I am led to believe that the joint and several liability principle applies so the other party in the JV could be brought into the claim. So yes - I think you can sue individual members of an unincorporated association.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Perhaps look at the joint venture agreement/constitution for any specific clauses relating to the matter in question. My understanding is that under an unincorporated association, it is possible to sue the one party but I am led to believe that the joint and several liability principle applies so the other party in the JV could be brought into the claim. So yes - I think you can sue individual members of an unincorporated association.

Thank you so much!!!!! When I did a quick Google search, the first thing I thought was also looking at the agreement, but I wasn't sure! I'll continue looking in that direction!

Reactions: Dipen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.