TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

toribabylawyer

Star Member
  • Sep 5, 2022
    So confused whether NRF screens app before sending psychometric test or not? I completed the application in September whereas ppl who completed on the deadline are getting sent the test the next day.

could they possibly be going in reverse order? Or have I just not made the cut? I
    Honestly not sure either. I applied over a week ago (so not sure the reverse order theory is right) but still haven't gotten the test. I think they screened, but I thought my application was good. Weird.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

On the application form I'm currently filling in, there's four work experience boxes, followed by a single box at the bottom of the page for "Other relevant experience". When writing work experience entries in the "other relevant experience" box, do you think I'd be better off being more succinct (and treating the textbox as if I was explicitly being asked to briefly summarise other work experience, as is the case on some of the application forms for other firms) than if the application form had an unlimited number of work experience boxes?

:)

@Jessica Booker

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I think you have the right instinct- you just need to structure and link examples in your answers together well.

Think about how inclusion is at the heart of everything the firm does- look at their business strategy, clients, hiring, D&I programs etc.

Then find the link between their efforts towards inclusion and ➡️ their success. Bring in the client studies, any D&I stats, awards, rankings, recognition for inclusion strategies to bring out this link.

I hope this helps!
    Thank you for your response. So is the structure basically going to be like
    - Firm X has made Y strategies towards inclusion.
    - This has been important to Firm X's success because ... (e.g. diverse teams bring together different perspectives)
    - This is evidenced by Firm X being chosen as a Stonewall Top 100 employer, as well as winning the Legal Cheek award for best law firm for quality of work.
    - This suggests a strong link between inclusivity and success.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

On the application form I'm currently filling in, there's four work experience boxes, followed by a single box at the bottom of the page for "Other relevant experience". When writing work experience entries in the "other relevant experience" box, do you think I'd be better off being more succinct (and treating the textbox as if I was explicitly being asked to briefly summarise other work experience, as is the case on some of the application forms for other firms) than if the application form had an unlimited number of work experience boxes?

:)

@Jessica Booker
    Yes - this is the right approach to take.

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    I know the numbers change based on the individual, but how many applications would you recommend submitting in one application cycle? Presuming that the applications are well-researched, and the objective is to get at least 2 interview/AC opportunities?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I know the numbers change based on the individual, but how many applications would you recommend submitting in one application cycle? Presuming that the applications are well-researched, and the objective is to get at least 2 interview/AC opportunities?
    How long is a piece of string. Everyone has very different circumstances that dictate how many well researched apps they can do. Are you just a full time student - if so you have more spare time than most. Do you work alongside studying that’ll limit your time. Do you have health issues. Caring responsibilities etc.

I don’t think the number really matters - some people make one application and get a TC offer others make 25 to get an offer. It’s more about quality of app - one quality app will have better results than 15 mediocre apps.

Last cycle I did 6 apps, got 4 interviews/ACs, resulting in 2VSs that converted into 2 TC offers. I had a full time job, part time job, chronic health issues and was studying the LPC part time.

WindowsUpdate

• Sep 28, 2022
    Slight confuson over Skadden's application question: "Why are you applying to a training contract at Skadden and why do you believe you are suited to the firm" 300 word max. I feel this is similar to the A&O question that was brought up at some point, where it was unclear if it was asking why commercial law, why the firm (clients and practice areas) or why specifically their training (small intake, seat rotatione etc.) o_O

Any advice on how to answer this? And what is the best way to split this answer up; 150 words on the first part and 150 word on why im suited to the firm (linking my skills and experiences back to the firm)?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.