Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The British Psychological Society state that 30th%ile is an industry standard cut off score for ability tests and SJTs...
I think this has been misunderstood. You wouldn’t have a 30% percentile as a standard to work from - that makes no sense whatsoever.

You would set a percentile ranking based on how you have calculated the results (by the norm group). A 30 percentile cut off across norm groups would not makes sense if one norm group is 5 year olds and the other is Doctors.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

Ghana M.

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi! Sorry if this is a stupid question - What practice areas/teams in a law firm are involved at different stages of setting up/operating an energy power plant? For example - Project Finance for raising funds, regulatory for the licenses and approvals, etc. Thanks! :D
Based on the needs of each particular client and/or project, the teams involved are usually from corporate & finance, tax, environmental, litigation and competition practices.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I'm just going through a list of interview questions to prepare for and I saw this one:

You have received a signed joint venture agreement from the opposite party which has an additional clause not agreed to but benefits your client, what do you do?

My gut reaction would be that you should ask the opposite party if they meant to do that because otherwise you are being dishonest. Equally, you should be putting your client first. Is there a right way to answer this? For example, would the SRA have a position on what you should do in this scenario?

KBLAW

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Invited for Jones Day interview 😀, does anyone have any advice or tips? I haven't really done a partner interview before so anything would be useful!
    I did my interview on Tuesday and was offered the scheme on Wednesday. It's very chilled, they focus on your CV and like Why Jones day etc. I would say it is very relaxed, they just want to get to know you.

Reactions: readylawyer1 and Adrian_S

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Invite to VI for White & Case!! Anyone have any tips?? I literally have no idea how to prepare
    Firstly, congratulations on making it to this stage!

Search through the TCLA forum database to see if anyone has posted their past questions. This should give you a sense of what you may be asked. Type them all up into a word doc and write your answers to them – it can be in prose or bullet-point, I recommend bullet-point but whatever works best for you. I'd also have a look at this post (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/). A number of them are basically the same question just structured in a different way. I'd jot the questions down and prepare answers for them. Practice your answers to yourself and your peers. Each time you practice, think: is there a better way I can say this and am I really answering the question? You'll have to be brutally honest with yourself when thinking about this.

I have read that you should do sticky notes with the potential questions and your answers (in bullet point) around your desk (like on your wall) so you can quickly refer to them. Or have a document opened on the side if possible. Either way, because you'll be given the question, a short period of time to prepare for it, and a short period of time to deliver your answer, it is really important to have your answer on hand so that you can refer to them quickly.

Remember to actually look at the camera when you're delivering your answer. Sticking googly eyes next to your camera will help you focus your eyes there. Also make sure you follow any specified instruction for saving your answer, moving to the question or submitting your responses!

Finally, relax and take a breather before and after each question. It is a nerve-wrecking situation and very awkward exercise, but you should be proud of yourself of having made it to this stage, so be confident in your abilities!

I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and Adrian_S

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 3, 2022
    Firstly, congratulations of having made it to this stage!

Search through the TCLA forum database to see if anyone has posted their past questions. This should give you a sense of what you may be asked. Type them all up into a word doc and write your answers to them – it can be in prose or bullet-point, I recommend bullet-point but whatever works best for you. I'd also have a look at this post (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/). A number of them are basically the same question just structured in a different way. I'd jot the questions down and prepare answers for them. Practice your answers to yourself and your peers. Each time you practice, think: is there a better way I can say this and am I really answering the question? You'll have to be brutally honest with yourself when thinking about this.

I have read that you should do sticky notes with the potential questions and your answers (in bullet point) around your desk (like on your wall) so you can quickly refer to them. Or have a document opened on the side if possible. Either way, because you'll be given the question, a short period of time to prepare for it, and a short period of time to deliver your answer, it is really important to have your answer on hand so that you can refer to them quickly.

Remember to actually look at the camera when you're delivering your answer. Sticking googly eyes next to your camera will help you focus your eyes there. Also make sure you follow any specified instruction for saving your answer, moving to the question or submitting your responses!

Finally, relax and take a breather before and after each question. It is a nerve-wrecking situation and very awkward exercise, but you should be proud of yourself of having made it to this stage, so be confident in your abilities!

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to type this all out! I really really appreciate it! :) I'll be sure to take a look at the thread and sticky notes is a great idea!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and RANDOTRON

e.g.1999

Standard Member
    Jul 21, 2022
    Firstly, congratulations on making it to this stage!

thank you so much for this post!

• 🤝
    Reactions: RANDOTRON
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.