TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi, just had a question regarding paralegal jobs! On Monday I saw a Paralegal role advertised on LinkedIn (it said 'posted 2 hours ago')- I have spent a few days working on my application and went to submit it today but was unable to because the firm is no longer hiring for the role. Is it usual for firms to close their paralegal recruitment so soon? Many of the vacancies I have seen don't have an application deadline- is there a general rule for how long these vacancies will be available or would you just recommend applying for positions as soon as you see them rather than waiting a few days? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

@Jessica Booker
    I would add onto @Jessica Booker's comment and say if the firms is recruiting paralegal through an external recruiter (like EJ Legal), then you should immediately reach out the recruiter on LinkedIn about the role if the job post shows who the recruiter is as opposed to just submitting in your CV. This is because recruiters will give the firm a shortlist of candidates for the firm to choose from. In my experience, I tend to have more success with my CV getting forwarded by the recruiter to the law firm after reaching out to the recruiter and speaking to them about my experiences and background.

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
    I would add onto @Jessica Booker's comment and say if the firms is recruiting paralegal through an external recruiter (like EJ Legal), then you should immediately reach out the recruiter on LinkedIn about the role if the job post shows who the recruiter is as opposed to just submitting in your CV. This is because recruiters will give the firm a shortlist of candidates for the firm to choose from. In my experience, I tend to have more success with my CV getting forwarded by the recruiter to the law firm after reaching out to the recruiter and speaking to them about my experiences and background.
    This is so helpful thank you! Just checking, when you say to reach out to the recruiter on LinkedIn do you mean to send them a private message on LinkedIn? Sorry I'm still getting my head around recruiters and how they work

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    This is so helpful thank you! Just checking, when you say to reach out to the recruiter on LinkedIn do you mean to send them a private message on LinkedIn? Sorry I'm still getting my head around recruiters and how they work
    Yes. When you send a connection request, you can send a personalised note along with it. I usually give a short introduction of myself, state my interest for that particular role, and ask to have a chat about it in my note. If they accept your connection request, they'll arrange a call with you and usually ask for your CV then.

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
    Yes. When you send a connection request, you can send a personalised note along with it. I usually give a short introduction of myself, state my interest for that particular role, and ask to have a chat about it in my note. If they accept your connection request, they'll arrange a call with you and usually ask for your CV then.
    Ah great thanks so much!

Reactions: RANDOTRON

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    So I got the invite for simmons tests on the 3rd november and it said that I have 10 calendar days from tomorrow (4th november) to complete it. Does that mean I can complete it tomorrow? Just dont want to have to rush to complete it now as something has popped up and will be busy tonight now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I got the invite for simmons tests on the 3rd november and it said that I have 10 calendar days from tomorrow (4th november) to complete it. Does that mean I can complete it tomorrow? Just dont want to have to rush to complete it now as something has popped up and will be busy tonight now.
    Yes - it will include the 14th

OrangePasta

Nov 12, 2022
    Hi! I've recently started my law journey and applied to many applications on Apply4Law. I have been getting very frustrated about having to input my cv for each firm manually. That said, I was wondering if there was a quicker way to input my CV? If maybe there was an application for this or someone had coded a program to do this automatically?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi! I've recently started my law journey and applied to many applications on Apply4Law. I have been getting very frustrated about having to input my cv for each firm manually. That said, I was wondering if there was a quicker way to input my CV? If maybe there was an application for this or someone had coded a program to do this automatically?

I believe you can use Link My Locker on Apply4Law. It should be an option to select on each Apply4Law before you properly enter your application.

WorriedSick2

Standard Member
    Oct 7, 2022
    @Jessica Booker Hi , I was invited to my firms seat fair. I was wondering about the note taking etiquette. is it okay if I take my phone and write whatever info I get/deem relevant into my phone(as opposed to a notebook/pen).Or would that be seen as unprofessional? Sorry for this weird question, this is my first time doig such a thing, and I am travelling to the office, so no idea where notebooks/bags, would be stored.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi , I was invited to my firms seat fair. I was wondering about the note taking etiquette. is it okay if I take my phone and write whatever info I get/deem relevant into my phone(as opposed to a notebook/pen).Or would that be seen as unprofessional? Sorry for this weird question, this is my first time doig such a thing, and I am travelling to the office, so no idea where notebooks/bags, would be stored.
    I think this is fine. You may just want to tell the person you are listening to that you'll be taking notes on your phone.

I'd also try to keep taking notes (whether on the note pad or a phone) to a minimum while you are talking to/listening to the person speak, and then write up your notes more after the conversation has finished.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker do you think your interviewer saying best of luck after an interview is a bad sign? Or a polite expression? Also, what’s the usual turnover time from interview to decision for vacation schemes?
    It is just a polite expression - I use it all the time when interviewing people and meeting them etc.

It can very massively between firms, unfortunately. It can be anything from hearing back the same day to not hearing back for a couple of months until all the interviews are completed. I would say hearing back within 5-7 working days is the "norm" though.

Reactions: AvniD

manifestingg

Premium Member
    Feb 9, 2022
    Is anyone doing the city consortium SQE and available to help with a few questions I have about programme and timetable? I’m due to start in Feb 2023 but have no idea what’s going on!
    Many thanks 😊

failedlegallyblonde

Standard Member
    Mar 7, 2022
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to start my LPC next September after securing a training contract to start in 2024. I am very tempted to study my LPC online to save costs on both course fees and then associated travel costs, as well as saving 3 hours a day which I would spend commuting. However, I am concerned that this may not be considered as highly as an in-person LPC and I am worried I will not receive the same quality teaching online that I would do if I studied in person. If anyone could share their views or experiences on this that would be much appricated!

julia_2022

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 23, 2022
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to start my LPC next September after securing a training contract to start in 2024. I am very tempted to study my LPC online to save costs on both course fees and then associated travel costs, as well as saving 3 hours a day which I would spend commuting. However, I am concerned that this may not be considered as highly as an in-person LPC and I am worried I will not receive the same quality teaching online that I would do if I studied in person. If anyone could share their views or experiences on this that would be much appricated!
    I’m currently studying the in-person LPC in London. In my opinion, this is a much more positive experience than studying online. Last Thursday, due to the tube strikes, all of our classes were held online and many people experienced tech issues which meant they couldn’t participate properly. Also, it felt quite lonely sitting in your flat compared to actually going to a physical class and getting to chat to people before and after the lesson. Being in-person gives you the opportunity to get to know people from other law firms as well.

I think, on the whole, the actual education quality is the exact same but when it comes to social interaction, studying in person is much more enjoyable.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and failedlegallyblonde

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I would recommend considering the SQE rather than the LPC from next year.

Although the LPC is still a route available, most firms will have moved to the SQE by 2025 when you will be looking to start a TC. So you could just be paying for a very expensive exemption for SQE1 by completing the LPC.

Reactions: AvniD

failedlegallyblonde

Standard Member
    Mar 7, 2022
    I would recommend considering the SQE rather than the LPC from next year.

Although the LPC is still a route available, most firms will have moved to the SQE by 2025 when you will be looking to start a TC. So you could just be paying for a very expensive exemption for SQE1 by completing the LPC.
    Hi Jessica,

I have already secured a training contract and it is in my contract that I need to complete the LPC before commencing in September 2024

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have already secured a training contract and it is in my contract that I need to complete the LPC before commencing in September 2024
    Ah apologies for the misunderstanding! No one cares about the "status" of the LPC, it is literally just a process that needs to be completed, so if studying it online works better for you, go for it. No one will never know any difference. I can't comment on the difference in the quality of the teaching etc though.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I am personally more drawn to in person teaching because it's a way of keeping yourself accountable to your studies. I feel like you can alter/choose the level of commitment to your studies when you're learning online because you can turn your video and mic off and the pressure to participate is removed.

By studying in person, you also engage more with the content because of the impact of your environment and you can also form more of a connection with your peers, with whom you can form study groups, share revision ideas with etc.

I don't think you'll receive the same quality of education online, but I believe there may be ways around the concerns I've mentioned above if you go into the LPC very intentionally. And which mode you choose won't matter to your law firm so just pick what works best for you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.