TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
There could be a whole host of reasons for this, unfortunately. Sometimes they put candidates on hold, sometimes they rank them on some basis and prioritise inviting people on that ranking. It could just be down to luck - maybe the person allocate your video interview just hasn't reviewed their's yet while other people in different batches have been allocated to other reviewers who have managed to review their work.

As it has only been two weeks since you received the video interview (although it will be more important when you completed it rather than when it was sent), I would generally advise not chasing up so soon. However, on this occasion, it is for a winter scheme that will only be a matter of weeks away, and therefore a brief email asking when you may hear back in regards to a decision on your application would not be seen as unnormal or unexpected. The only time I would advise against this is if you only submitted your video interview answer in the last 5 working days. Then I would wait until next week or so to follow up.
Thanks a lot for your full explanation. Just to let you know that I submitted my VI on the 31st of October.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Has anyone on here ever done a vac scheme whilst they were on a skilled worker's visa? This may just be me speaking into the void since I suspect most people on here are students, on a graduate visa, or UK nationals. Grateful for any insights :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone on here ever done a vac scheme whilst they were on a skilled worker's visa? This may just be me speaking into the void since I suspect most people on here are students, on a graduate visa, or UK nationals. Grateful for any insights :)
A skilled person's visa is highly unlikely given an internship is highly unlikely to meet the points-based system where it is a short-term role. I just can't see how it would meet the skilled person visa requirement, let alone why the firm would pay out that amount of money applying for it for such a short-term role. The visa costs and processing fees are likely to be £4-5k in total.

It would be far more likely that they would push people to pursue the Tier 5 (temporary work) visa route or look to get the individual to pursue the post-study graduate visa.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
A skilled person's visa is highly unlikely given an internship is highly unlikely to meet the points-based system where it is a short-term role. I just can't see how it would meet the skilled person visa requirement, let alone why the firm would pay out that amount of money applying for it for such a short-term role. The visa costs and processing fees are likely to be £4-5k in total.

It would be far more likely that they would push people to pursue the Tier 5 (temporary work) visa route or look to get the individual to pursue the post-study graduate visa.

Ah, I'm currently on a skilled worker's visa and not sure how this will affect me eligibility for vac schemes - I fully regret not opting for the graduate visa instead. Will check with the firm or an immigration service. But thanks for pointing that out, @Jessica Booker!

• 🤝
Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah, I'm currently on a skilled worker's visa and not sure how this will affect me eligibility for vac schemes - I fully regret not opting for the graduate visa instead. Will check with the firm or an immigration service. But thanks for pointing that out, @Jessica Booker!
If you are on a skilled worker's visa, then that, unfortunately is tied to your current employer - it can't be transferred to another employer.

Although you can work an additional job under the visa, you are restricted to working no more than 20 additional hours per week in another job and then it either has to be in the same occupation code and at the same level as your main job or in a shortage occupation.

Reactions: AvniD

CT

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 20, 2018
If you are on a skilled worker's visa, then that, unfortunately is tied to your current employer - it can't be transferred to another employer.

Although you can work an additional job under the visa, you are restricted to working no more than 20 additional hours per week in another job and then it either has to be in the same occupation code and at the same level as your main job or in a shortage occupation.
Hi Jessica, I have the same issue as this. Does it mean the only way we can get a TC whilst on a skilled worker’s visa with another employer is through a direct TC rather than a vacation scheme? Many thanks.

WindowsUpdate

• Sep 28, 2022
    Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the work experience section (WE) and answering questions like "Please give details of any: prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility (PoR) and noteworthy achievements". I've found mixed answers on this so far so a little unsure. Since I have several Pro-Bono PoRs (e.g. team leader, student advisor), I think I'd have to have seperate WE entries for each, as I feel summarising them all into one wouldn't paint the whole picture

- So if an application asks such a question (mainly positions of responsibility) and there is a work experience section as-well; where should I include my Pro-Bono work? Would the answer change based on the question word count? (e.g 250 vs 500 words)

- And what if an application doesn't ask a similar question, should I still include Pro-Bono in the WE section, or fit it somewhere else like the cover letter or in the "Why You" question? or maybe even both? (Detailed paragraph of what I did in the WE section and tying back to myself and skills developed in the "Why You" bit)

Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.