RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    It’s amazing to read your blog here!
    And congratulations on your success so far!
    I really can see you there already. But that level of commercial awareness, is not the only thing that I admire but look up to, so if you may how long did it take you to develop such an understanding and how ?

I’ll keep following you!
    Just to add onto the superb list provided by @j.s.cox above, I highly recommend the following newsletters to help you develop that critical thinking mindset when reading news, analysing factual scenarios, or even answering questions. All of these newsletter go straight into your email inbox, so you just need to subscribe and can read it on the go anytime, anywhere.
    • FT Lex: Detailed analysis on hot topics written by the top up-and-coming journalists at FT
    • FT Due Diligence: Looks into important deals of the day
    • FT Unhedged: Analyses economic data and gives you a fine-tuned opinion on what is going on in the world
    • FirstFT: Gives you an overview of the most important stories at the start of the day
    • The Daily Upside: Give you an overview of the three stories for the day
    • Matt Levine's Money Stuff: Deep analysis and commentary on crucial new stories in corporate and finance
    Beyond just thinking about the macro implications of a story, I always try to ask why it happened and the mechanics of the story. For example, when you're reading about the collapse of FTX, ask yourself: why is having your hedge fund investing heavily in your own crypto token, which are used to facilitate trade on your crypto exchange, circular and dangerous? Why is offering those same tokens as collateral dangerous? Go and research to find out why, and through time and effort you'll be able to piece together elements of a news story and be able to correlate it to other stories you read and to the wider market in general. You'll also find as you read more (and you practice thinking about the bigger picture and the mechanics of the story), you will find it easier to read and understand the stories fully.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Moving back to some more updates today. As ever, new goals are in bold.

Update:

Norton Rose Fulbright

I got a Norton Rose Fulbright Winter Vacation Scheme Offer!!!!!!! I can't begin to put into words how amazing this makes me feel. My hard work is really paying off!

Ahead of the vacation scheme, I really need to continue practising the things I found hard at the AC (i.e. negotiating and knowing my application inside out - there is another assessment during the scheme). Graduate Recruitment also mentioned that they would be getting back to me before the scheme with feedback from the assessment centre, so I'll use that to further help me prepare. I also want to take the TCLA course "How to Convert a Vacation Scheme into a Training Contract". Hopefully this will help me to do just that. Meanwhile, I think I need to give myself some time just to celebrate this achievement!

AS Commercial Awareness Semi-Finals
    Today I went to Skadden for the AS CAC semi-finals. It was a hot mess. Before I go into that, I'd just like to mention that Mathieu Pinto Cardoso (graduate recruitment manager at Skadden) is an absolute legend and among my favourite of the graduate recruitment people I have met (up there with Paul Gascoyne from Shearman & Sterling and all the NRF people I have met).

We started with an introduction, before being put into separate rooms in our teams of five (randomly selected before we arrived), where we had a few minutes to get to know each other before the first task. There were two people in my team who were incredible and I got on with them instantly (A and B). There was another person who seemed really lovely, but didn't really contribute in the preparation discussion except to tell us that they were confused about eveything (C). Finally, there was a person who was a little older than us and who really got under my skin (D). I'm not usually the kind of person to moan, but D told members of the team that their names were too difficult to pronounce so D would just be calling us their colleagues. D also asked me "so, what's wrong with you then" before we even had a chance to say hello (I have a walking stick). I tried to brush those things off in the name of teamwork, but honestly it really bothers me that my name became a problem and that I was asked about private medical history just because I had a visible mobility aid. On top of that, D wouldn't let anyone else get a word in edgeways during our team preparation. It really irked me! I realise that I may have to work with people I find difficult in the future, so I think this shows me I need to come up with a strategy of how to approach difficult people better in the future, as I don't think I did it very well today.

I don't want to give too many details away about the tasks as there are ongoing AS CAC semi-finals, but it essentially broke down into two tasks, both involving a verbal presentation. For Task 1, I don't think my team did very well. We spent so much time during prep trying to get D to stop talking that we barely jotted out a plan. As such, the presentation was jilted and I don't really think we nailed the answer to the question. We ran out of time and it just felt underprepared and underwhelming. The questions we were asked afterwards were quite hard, although I think we dealt with them as well as we could. I was also REALLY glad I used the TCLA courses to prepare as they were a godsend for these questions.

We then had a break to network with previous finalists of the competition who had secured their TC through the competition. This bit was really enjoyable and I learnt a lot more about the firm. From my conversations, I realised that I really liked the people at the firm, but overall I'm not sure it's the right firm for me. I've connected with some of the people I met on LinkedIn to try and maintain my connections and learn from the things they post.

After this, we moved onto Task 2. My team were immediately focused on how to improve our timing issues and I felt like we prepared much better for this one. Unfortunately, when it came down to the presentation, C spoke twice as long as they were supposed to, meaning that myself and A were forced to shorten our prepared sections considerably. It meant that I wasn't able to speak as eloquently as I wanted to as I was mindful that A still had to speak. It also meant we couldn't showcase the depth of our knowledge. Questions were a lot harder than the first presentation, but I was happy with my answer. I just felt really frustrated that C had taken up so much time when it was something we specifically agreed to keep an eye on and everyone else did their part well. I'm not really sure what I can do to mitigate this in the future, but I'm going to have a real think about it.

Overall, the day was a real example to me of what happens when you don't click with the people you are working with. This is bound to be an issue I face in the future, so I need to find ways to prepare myself for this. I think this is more of a long-term goal than an easy-fix and I'm going to take some time to really think about potential solutions and ways I can prepare myself for this in the future. Also, my watch kept telling me that I was getting missed calls from NRF all day and I couldn't phone them back until the end of the semi-finals which was driving me nuts! I'll have to see if I made it to the finals, but if not, I'm proud that I've gone from being rejected from a firm because of my lack of commercial awareness, to the final 125 participants in a commercial awareness competition.

Thank you for following my journey!

Mohamed Ashour

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 20, 2022
    WOW Congrats @j.s.cox I'm really glad you did it!
    It's really inspiring where you are now and the work you have done!
    I'll keep following to see what you do in the VC!

@RANDOTRON well I'm taking down some notes now...I'm going to read that blog from point zero and rebuild my plan and resources.

Reactions: j.s.cox

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi @j.s.cox ! I came across this and I have genuinely enjoyed reading it so much!!! Thank you so much for your journey updates it has greatly motivated me and massive congrats on the vac scheme!

I wanted to seek some advice from u as I also want to improve my commercial awareness - how much time do u spend daily on reading? I find myself getting bogged down and trying to read too much of many broad topics. I would appreciate your advice on this, how you systematically tackle this?

I would also greatly appreciate your advice on time management. With trying to complete apps + practise watson test + read news - I am struggling!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi @j.s.cox ! I came across this and I have genuinely enjoyed reading it so much!!! Thank you so much for your journey updates it has greatly motivated me and massive congrats on the vac scheme!

I wanted to seek some advice from u as I also want to improve my commercial awareness - how much time do u spend daily on reading? I find myself getting bogged down and trying to read too much of many broad topics. I would appreciate your advice on this, how you systematically tackle this?

I would also greatly appreciate your advice on time management. With trying to complete apps + practise watson test + read news - I am struggling!
    HI @DTB! I'm so glad that you have enjoyed following my journey and thank you for the congratulations!

I made a post with how I tackle commercial awareness here:
    Thank you for your confidence in me @Mohamed Ashour! I'm sure that seeking out ways to improve your commercial awareness undoubtedly makes you a stronger candidate too.

I've detailed my commercial awareness journey throughout this thread, but here is a summary for your ease:

Time taken to develop commercial awareness
    My real efforts for developing my commercial awareness started in around late September (so about 1.5 months ago). I wouldn't say I am completely commercially aware at the moment, but there was a turning point about 1 month into my journey where I begun to really enjoy actively improving my commercial awareness beyond a simple goal. For me, this is an ongoing process that I'm not sure will ever end.

How I am developing my commercial awareness
    In terms of legal jargon and understanding broader concepts (e.g. derivatives, quatitative easing, equity), I started with the TCLA Course "Develop Your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More". I see you have a Gold Membership, so you should be able to access this. It is an incredible resource and is a great base from which to further develop commercial awareness. I think it is important that you take this slowly (I didn't move onto the next lecture until I fully understood the previous one). I also think this should only be a starting point. If there is an explanation you don't fully understand, research it further using other resources (e.g. I didn't fully understand The Financial Crisis 2007-8, so I watched 'The Big Short' to consolidate my understanding). I have also started a glossary for any terminology that I don't understand.

In terms of news stories, I go about this in two different ways. Firstly, I have selected a sector that really interests me and I actively seek out information about this sector. I have signed up to sector-specific newsletters so I am always up to date. Secondly, I keep abreast of the current news. I do this by reading through email newsletters, listening to daily podcasts and scrolling through the FT instead of social media. I'll compile a list of sources I use below. I don't check all of them every day. Instead I pick 2-4 sources to use because I found using only one source, or the same sources, really made me bored. I try to understand the stories and their implication on the business world and law firms. To encourage me to do this, I write one article in my own words each week detailing this (please see articles attached throughout this thread). I keep an eye on any updates to the articles I read to keep my knowledge up to date.

My favourite news story commercial awareness sources
    • Newsletters:
      • TCLA Newsletter
      • MarketLoop
      • Finimize
      • FT Energy Source
      • LittleLaw
      • Touristy
      • LinkedIn Newsletters like The Economist
    • Podcasts:
      • FT News Briefing
      • Watson's Daily
      • Wake Up to Money
      • Law firm specific podcasts (just search their names up on your favourite podcast provider)
    • News Outlets
      • The Economist (good for simple breakdown)
      • The Financial Times (my favourite as I get to practice legal jargon as well)
      • BBC Business News
      • Reuters (usually use this to follow up on a specific story).

I use 2-4 of the resources I have listed above each day. I spend as much time as I have available on these: some days I spend 5-10 minutes on this, sometimes I'll spend an hour on this.

Something that has really helped me is writing these weekly articles and keeping up to date with them. It really helps to think deeply about select issues and I pick up on any terms I don't understand and consolidate them. I actually found keeping up to date with the news much easier when I developed a base knowledge of commercial terminology, so I recommend completing the TCLA course "Develop Your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More".

In terms of time management with apps/watson glasers/reading the news, I think this depends on your schedule. Personally, I keep up to date with the news every day (although I will miss a day if something unexpected comes up, I will never miss two days in a row). With apps, I have taken a very targeted approach to the firms I am applying to and will spend at least 1 week researching and writing an app. I initially spent a lot of time learning about Watson Glaser techniques. Once I felt like I had consolidated that information I only spend 30mins-1hr each week on practicing the test. If you are taking a targeted approach to applications, you will be able to figure out which firms require Watson Glaser tests. You may find that none of them do, in which case, there is little point in prioritising practising them.

The key with time management is to know what your priorities are and what time you have to spend on them. Remember, you have 24 hours in the day. 8 hours should be for sleeping, so you still have 16 hours in the day to schedule time for everything else including work and time to rest.

Hope this helps and good luck with this cycle!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    HI @DTB! I'm so glad that you have enjoyed following my journey and thank you for the congratulations!

I made a post with how I tackle commercial awareness here:

I use 2-4 of the resources I have listed above each day. I spend as much time as I have available on these: some days I spend 5-10 minutes on this, sometimes I'll spend an hour on this.

Something that has really helped me is writing these weekly articles and keeping up to date with them. It really helps to think deeply about select issues and I pick up on any terms I don't understand and consolidate them. I actually found keeping up to date with the news much easier when I developed a base knowledge of commercial terminology, so I recommend completing the TCLA course "Develop Your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More".

In terms of time management with apps/watson glasers/reading the news, I think this depends on your schedule. Personally, I keep up to date with the news every day (although I will miss a day if something unexpected comes up, I will never miss two days in a row). With apps, I have taken a very targeted approach to the firms I am applying to and will spend at least 1 week researching and writing an app. I initially spent a lot of time learning about Watson Glaser techniques. Once I felt like I had consolidated that information I only spend 30mins-1hr each week on practicing the test. If you are taking a targeted approach to applications, you will be able to figure out which firms require Watson Glaser tests. You may find that none of them do, in which case, there is little point in prioritising practising them.

The key with time management is to know what your priorities are and what time you have to spend on them. Remember, you have 24 hours in the day. 8 hours should be for sleeping, so you still have 16 hours in the day to schedule time for everything else including work and time to rest.

Hope this helps and good luck with this cycle!
    A big fan of your approach @j.s.cox! 👏 👏

Scheduling time to rest and cutting yourself enough slack to focus on other priorities if you need to skip a day is a healthy way to go about building commercial awareness on a long-term basis.

@DTB You're trying to build an instinct to think like a lawyer rather than rote learn news so I completely agree with @j.s.cox in prioritising the consistency over volume whole developing your commercial awareness by reading + analysing business news.

• Love
    Reactions: DTB

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Update:

This post is going to be dedicated to my thoughts on the Akin Gump open day, as it left me a lot to think about!

Akin Gump Open Day Overciew
    I had such a good day at this event yesterday! It really helped me understand the work that lawyers do in more detail and it challenged my perceptions of the firm a lot. It was also the first open day that the firm has ever run in their London office and we were inundated with branded stationary to take home, and incredible food. I realise this is not the main purpose of open days, but it was certainly a neat addition.

Deal Anatomy
    The firm took us through two recent deals that they had been part of and told us in detail how the different teams interacted and what specific work was done at each point of the deal. They asked us not to share specific details about the deals, so I'll just share a few interesting points I picked up on:

• At Akin Gump, trainees largely take responsibility for due diligence. They need to check for any potential liabilities, inconsistencies, or any other areas for concern. I realise this is why so many firms look for potential recruits with strong attention to detail. There will be hundreds and potentially thousands of documents in the virtual data room that need to be examined. This is done systematically, generally with a specific focus (e.g. documents relating to real estate), and these documents are then looked through with a fine-tooth comb.
    • In corporate M&A, employment teams look through and draft service contracts. These can include non-compete clauses, or clauses that prevent staff from leaving immediately after an acquisition.
    • Some companies require many restructurings. After a company has been restructured, it is up to management to ensure the success of the business and law firms have very little to do with this. Unfortunately (or I suppose fortunately from the perspective that it generates work for law firms), one law firm could restructure the same company three times.
    • Tax teams can be very involved in financial restructurings to ensure that the restructuring is done in the most tax efficient way possible.

My (Changing) View of the Firm
    As well as understanding the anatomy of a deal better, I really learnt a lot about Akin Gump. My expectations were that it would be an office with an intense and overworked atmosphere with people who loudly displayed their intelligence. Instead, I was struck by the absolute calm in the office. Following the panels of trainees and senior lawyers, I realised that this was a place where nobody had anything to prove, and were instead quietly confident about the quality of their work. There was a larger focus on retaining their loyal clients rather than searching for new clients (although the latter of course makes up part of the work they carry out). There was also an aim to expand on areas ancilliary to the work they already do, rather than opening up brand new practice areas. They have had a slow, but steady growth in London over the years. There was clear commeraderie between all employees from all levels. It made me realise that this firm has formiddable teams that work excellently together and lets their work speak for itself.

Diversity
    Their focus on teamwork and supporting each other was also clear from their talk on diversity networks. I am very used to law firms sharing the awards they have won for their initiatives, or spending ten minutes at the end of a presentation to briefly explain their initiatives. This presentation was completely different, however. They had the London chairs for each firm diversity network present (social mobility, abilities, out&allied, BAME, women, parents&caregivers). The respresentatives then explained the work they individually did as well as how they worked as a firm and with other diversity networks. They talked about the metrics they used to measure their success and their personal stories. To me, this showed that they were really serious about improving diversity, equity and inclusion, and they weren't just paying lip service. This was also highlighted by the large budget Akin Gump gives each of the diversity initiatives. They also seek to involve their clients in these initiatives to help improve the diversity within their clients' companies too. I particularly enjoyed hearing about their pronoun training and social mobility initiative to get underprivileged Year 12 students to have the opportunity to spend time at the firm.

Small Trainee Intake and Lack of Formal Training
    Whislt I was at the firm, I asked one of the trainees how he knew that he would thrive in a small trainee cohort with lots of responsibility. For me, high levels of responsibility sound great in theory, but in practice I don't know if I would find it too stressful. He gave me some really great things to think about:
    1. This particular trainee explained that he was very introverted. For him, standing out was harder to do in a big group (like the magic circle cohorts), and from his experience, these cohorts tended to have a lot more extroverted people in them. This is not something I had thought about before. I am also pretty introverted, so perhaps a smaller trainee cohort would also suit me better? I'm not sure, but it is definitely something I want to have a think about.
    2. For this trainee, he suggested that if you thrived at university when working in smaller groups with more of a focus on individuals, you may find a smaller trainee cohort better. I found this point very interesting because firstly, I did prefer smaller groups at university, and secondly, I hadn't considered the more individualised experience you could get in a smaller trainee cohort. My thoughts had been that more formal training in a larger group sets you up better to understand the work you are doing. For me, structure = proper training. After this conversation, however, I suppose larger groups with structured training are like big classrooms at school, whereas smaller cohorts with a lack of formal training are like 1:1 mentoring.
    3. The trainee explained that, yes, you might mess up with work being handed directly to a client. Despite this, surely it's better to mess up as a trainee than it would be to mess up as a more senior lawyer?
    Overall, this left me a lot to think about. I also think that this particular trainee's experience of a small cohort may not reflect the experience of trainees in small cohorts at other firms. Here, there seemed to be a lot of support, but I have seen other firms where trainees are left up to their own devices more. I still think I am more comfortable with formal training, however, I think I would enjoy the training at Akin Gump due to their specific approach. I guess I need to delve into the specific approach of each firm with a small cohort that I am considering applying to.

Quick Note on Application Process
    1. This starts with several questions on an application form dedicated to understanding your written skill. Each question requires 250 words. There is a commercial question at the end, but graduate recruitment does not screen this question at this stage. Akin Gump usually receives around 500 applications each year.
    2. Successful applicants then get sent a Watson Glaser Test. There is a pass benchmark which graduate recruitment could not quantify, but said that it was a 'fair' benchmark.
    3. If you pass the Watson Glaser, you move onto a Telephone Interview. This is largely there to expand on answers in the original written application and ask any questions. This will be conducted by graduate recruitment. This is a new stage of the application process.
    4. Following a successful Telephone Interview, the commercial question you wrote in your original application will be assessed by lawyers at Akin Gump.
    5. A successful commercial question will lead to an Assessment Centre including case studies, a group exercise, and interviews with partners and graduate recruitment. This is a new stage of the application process.
    6. A successful assessment centre leads to a vacation scheme. Akin Gump usually invites around 12 people to this stage.
    7. Following a successful vacation scheme, around 8 lucky people will be offered a training contract.

Overall Thoughts
    I wasn't sure about Akin Gump before this open day, which was one of the reasons I applied to attend. Following the open day, I will definitely be applying to this firm. I was genuinely overawed at their understated excellence and genuine sense of commeradarie. They are nothing at all as I had imagined, and in this instance, I don't think it matters that the firm does not fulfill all of the criteria I set out for myself (i.e. formal training), because it seems that they support trainees in an equally valuable way. This also shows me the importance of open days and actually being able to attend in-person office events!

Thanks for following my journey!

Reactions: rn7 and aniraz

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Update:

This post is going to be dedicated to my thoughts on the Akin Gump open day, as it left me a lot to think about!

Akin Gump Open Day Overciew
    I had such a good day at this event yesterday! It really helped me understand the work that lawyers do in more detail and it challenged my perceptions of the firm a lot. It was also the first open day that the firm has ever run in their London office and we were inundated with branded stationary to take home, and incredible food. I realise this is not the main purpose of open days, but it was certainly a neat addition.

Deal Anatomy
    The firm took us through two recent deals that they had been part of and told us in detail how the different teams interacted and what specific work was done at each point of the deal. They asked us not to share specific details about the deals, so I'll just share a few interesting points I picked up on:

• At Akin Gump, trainees largely take responsibility for due diligence. They need to check for any potential liabilities, inconsistencies, or any other areas for concern. I realise this is why so many firms look for potential recruits with strong attention to detail. There will be hundreds and potentially thousands of documents in the virtual data room that need to be examined. This is done systematically, generally with a specific focus (e.g. documents relating to real estate), and these documents are then looked through with a fine-tooth comb.
    • In corporate M&A, employment teams look through and draft service contracts. These can include non-compete clauses, or clauses that prevent staff from leaving immediately after an acquisition.
    • Some companies require many restructurings. After a company has been restructured, it is up to management to ensure the success of the business and law firms have very little to do with this. Unfortunately (or I suppose fortunately from the perspective that it generates work for law firms), one law firm could restructure the same company three times.
    • Tax teams can be very involved in financial restructurings to ensure that the restructuring is done in the most tax efficient way possible.

My (Changing) View of the Firm
    As well as understanding the anatomy of a deal better, I really learnt a lot about Akin Gump. My expectations were that it would be an office with an intense and overworked atmosphere with people who loudly displayed their intelligence. Instead, I was struck by the absolute calm in the office. Following the panels of trainees and senior lawyers, I realised that this was a place where nobody had anything to prove, and were instead quietly confident about the quality of their work. There was a larger focus on retaining their loyal clients rather than searching for new clients (although the latter of course makes up part of the work they carry out). There was also an aim to expand on areas ancilliary to the work they already do, rather than opening up brand new practice areas. They have had a slow, but steady growth in London over the years. There was clear commeraderie between all employees from all levels. It made me realise that this firm has formiddable teams that work excellently together and lets their work speak for itself.

Diversity
    Their focus on teamwork and supporting each other was also clear from their talk on diversity networks. I am very used to law firms sharing the awards they have won for their initiatives, or spending ten minutes at the end of a presentation to briefly explain their initiatives. This presentation was completely different, however. They had the London chairs for each firm diversity network present (social mobility, abilities, out&allied, BAME, women, parents&caregivers). The respresentatives then explained the work they individually did as well as how they worked as a firm and with other diversity networks. They talked about the metrics they used to measure their success and their personal stories. To me, this showed that they were really serious about improving diversity, equity and inclusion, and they weren't just paying lip service. This was also highlighted by the large budget Akin Gump gives each of the diversity initiatives. They also seek to involve their clients in these initiatives to help improve the diversity within their clients' companies too. I particularly enjoyed hearing about their pronoun training and social mobility initiative to get underprivileged Year 12 students to have the opportunity to spend time at the firm.

Small Trainee Intake and Lack of Formal Training
    Whislt I was at the firm, I asked one of the trainees how he knew that he would thrive in a small trainee cohort with lots of responsibility. For me, high levels of responsibility sound great in theory, but in practice I don't know if I would find it too stressful. He gave me some really great things to think about:
    1. This particular trainee explained that he was very introverted. For him, standing out was harder to do in a big group (like the magic circle cohorts), and from his experience, these cohorts tended to have a lot more extroverted people in them. This is not something I had thought about before. I am also pretty introverted, so perhaps a smaller trainee cohort would also suit me better? I'm not sure, but it is definitely something I want to have a think about.
    2. For this trainee, he suggested that if you thrived at university when working in smaller groups with more of a focus on individuals, you may find a smaller trainee cohort better. I found this point very interesting because firstly, I did prefer smaller groups at university, and secondly, I hadn't considered the more individualised experience you could get in a smaller trainee cohort. My thoughts had been that more formal training in a larger group sets you up better to understand the work you are doing. For me, structure = proper training. After this conversation, however, I suppose larger groups with structured training are like big classrooms at school, whereas smaller cohorts with a lack of formal training are like 1:1 mentoring.
    3. The trainee explained that, yes, you might mess up with work being handed directly to a client. Despite this, surely it's better to mess up as a trainee than it would be to mess up as a more senior lawyer?
    Overall, this left me a lot to think about. I also think that this particular trainee's experience of a small cohort may not reflect the experience of trainees in small cohorts at other firms. Here, there seemed to be a lot of support, but I have seen other firms where trainees are left up to their own devices more. I still think I am more comfortable with formal training, however, I think I would enjoy the training at Akin Gump due to their specific approach. I guess I need to delve into the specific approach of each firm with a small cohort that I am considering applying to.

Quick Note on Application Process
    1. This starts with several questions on an application form dedicated to understanding your written skill. Each question requires 250 words. There is a commercial question at the end, but graduate recruitment does not screen this question at this stage. Akin Gump usually receives around 500 applications each year.
    2. Successful applicants then get sent a Watson Glaser Test. There is a pass benchmark which graduate recruitment could not quantify, but said that it was a 'fair' benchmark.
    3. If you pass the Watson Glaser, you move onto a Telephone Interview. This is largely there to expand on answers in the original written application and ask any questions. This will be conducted by graduate recruitment. This is a new stage of the application process.
    4. Following a successful Telephone Interview, the commercial question you wrote in your original application will be assessed by lawyers at Akin Gump.
    5. A successful commercial question will lead to an Assessment Centre including case studies, a group exercise, and interviews with partners and graduate recruitment. This is a new stage of the application process.
    6. A successful assessment centre leads to a vacation scheme. Akin Gump usually invites around 12 people to this stage.
    7. Following a successful vacation scheme, around 8 lucky people will be offered a training contract.

Overall Thoughts
    I wasn't sure about Akin Gump before this open day, which was one of the reasons I applied to attend. Following the open day, I will definitely be applying to this firm. I was genuinely overawed at their understated excellence and genuine sense of commeradarie. They are nothing at all as I had imagined, and in this instance, I don't think it matters that the firm does not fulfill all of the criteria I set out for myself (i.e. formal training), because it seems that they support trainees in an equally valuable way. This also shows me the importance of open days and actually being able to attend in-person office events!

I love the detail with which you observed and picked up on things- it really stood out to me how you noticed that the office environment was calm, contrary to what you were expecting!

I'm glad you were able to experience the benefits of informal training as well. Both kinds of training work well- you just have to look out for your preference and what works best for you!

When do you think you'll like to apply to the firm? Are they rolling or non-rolling?

P.S. I was wondering if you would be open to sharing this update as a thread on its own, maybe something like 'Akin Gump Open Day Nov 2022'? I think more people might see it if it were a stand alone thread and benefit from you sharing your experience so generously!

All the best- looking forward to next update! 😊

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I love the detail with which you observed and picked up on things- it really stood out to me how you noticed that the office environment was calm, contrary to what you were expecting!

I'm glad you were able to experience the benefits of informal training as well. Both kinds of training work well- you just have to look out for your preference and what works best for you!

When do you think you'll like to apply to the firm? Are they rolling or non-rolling?

P.S. I was wondering if you would be open to sharing this update as a thread on its own, maybe something like 'Akin Gump Open Day Nov 2022'? I think more people might see it if it were a stand alone thread and benefit from you sharing your experience so generously!

All the best- looking forward to next update! 😊
    Hi @AvniD !

I have a few more applications to get in before December and the deadline for Akin Gump is January 8th. I think I'll aim to get my application in by early/mid-December. I believe they screen on a rolling basis, but won't send out offers on a rolling basis, so I think I should be ok to hand in an application at this time.

I'm very happy to share this update as a thread on its own. Is there a particular forum I should share this under?

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @AvniD !

I have a few more applications to get in before December and the deadline for Akin Gump is January 8th. I think I'll aim to get my application in by early/mid-December. I believe they screen on a rolling basis, but won't send out offers on a rolling basis, so I think I should be ok to hand in an application at this time.

I'm very happy to share this update as a thread on its own. Is there a particular forum I should share this under?
    I'm glad you've chalked out a plan for Akin Gump! And I think you could just post the thread in this forum!

Reactions: j.s.cox

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Update:

Commercial Awareness Article
    As COP27 is currently taking place and I have an interest in energy and the environment, I thought it would be interesting to do an article on the green ammonia plants that have been proposed. It's a really interesting idea!

Recession
    The Bank of England (BoE) has already announced that we are in a recession and the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has suggested that the economy will not regain pre-pandemic levels until late 2024. Today, Jeremy Hunt has announced £30bn of spending cuts and £25bn of tax rises to fill a £55bn "fiscal hole". According to 'The Financial Times', this represents the steepest fall in British living standards on record and the highest tax burden since World War II. On an episode of 'Watson's Daily' on Tuesday, one of the podcast hosts (not Peter Watson) suggested that there are no other options for the government and they have had to make a tough decision, but that unfortunately these decisions have to be made. I take great issue with this announcement and the statement on the podcast for the following reasons:
    • Austerity always has, and always will be, a political choice. Not an economic one. The "fiscal hole" is a powerful metaphor which relies on unreliable growth predictions and the governments own targets for cutting debt. Adjust either of these and the "hole" disappears.
    • Austerity makes us poorer. People with less money spend less money, meaning our economy stagnates - this is not good for businesses. Meanwhile, underfunding education and infrastructure prevents us from growing our economy in the future. Furthermore, overstretched services like the NHS mean we are less prepared for emergencies like Covid-19.
    • In the 2010s, austerity was linked to 300,000 excess deaths. Having just come out of a pandemic where hundreds of thousands of lives were lost, the move towards austerity shows the mental wellbeing of the workforce has clearly not been considered, and lessons have not been learned. If the mental wellbeing of the workforce is not looked after, people will end up having to take time off to recover. This stagnates the economy yet again and slows down the ability for us to get through another recession.
    One of the things I have found particularly difficult about this story is the personal implications it has for me and my family. Knowing that these announcements will mean we lose our house unless we all find a second or third job is a terrifying situation to be in. I am really struggling to separate my lived reality from the general economic implications of this announcements and would welcome any suggestions of how to do this better.

If I was in the government's position, instead of austerity, I would do the following:
    • Adjust the targets for cutting debt based on the unexpected global events that have occured over the past few years. A statement like that ought to ensure that the markets do not react too negatively to any increased government debt.
    • Begin heavily investing in infrastructure, particularly in the energy sector (battery storage, carbon capture utilisation and storage etc.). This should increase jobs, pumping money back into the economy so that it can begin to grow again.
    • Heavily invest in our public services including the NHS to ensure that preventative healthcare was maintained throughout the population. This would ease the pressure on this service, meaning that fewer people would get to a place where their condition was more difficult and expensive to treat. To illustrate this, a stage 1 melanoma can be removed fairly easily without a long hospital stay or expensive medications; a stage 4 melanoma, on the other hand, is often a death sentence requiring lengthy hospital and hospice stays, expensive medication, and potential services required for family members afterwards for bereavement or caregiving difficulties.
    • Investment in communities. If you can get to the root cause of why an area has a high rate of crime, you can help prevent crime long-term.
    • Revisit current building regulations to ensure that new builds would be able to function as close to net zero as practicable (solar tiles, living wall etc.). Not only would this cut pollution, but it would ensure energy security in the event of another energy shock as has happened during the Russia-Ukraine war.
    • Take any proposal that I considered to the experts because I disagree with Michael Gove that we have had enough of them. I would ensure that the BoE, OBR, and any other appropriate institutions were involved in the economic decision making, so that all institutions were on the same page.
    These may not be perfect solutions, and not everyone will agree with them, but to me this demonstrates that there are other options - austerity is NOT the only option and people are going to lose everything they have because of these announcements. These people are more than just a number. As I said previously, I am really struggling to separate my personal stake in this matter from looking at the announcement objectively, so I would appreciate another view on this. Perhaps there is an alternative way to think about this @RANDOTRON ?

Targeted Applications
    Today I submitted the application I researched over the weekend. My plan is to reseach and submit one more before the weekend, and a further application next week ahead of December deadlines. I am pretty busy at the moment, but I think I have carved out enough time to be able to do this. All of these firms fulfil all of the criteria I set myself. I plan to start and complete my application for Akin Gump in a fortnight ahead of my vacation scheme with NRF as I want to be totally focused on NRF during my time there.

TCLA Courses
    I have been completing the 'Coverting Your Vacation Scheme into a Training Contract' course. I have found this very helpful and it has eased my anxiety about my upcoming vacation scheme. I am trying really hard not to read too deeply into any figures about the conversion rate of the vacation scheme to a training contract as I don't want to be worrying over something I have no control over. I have also done a bit more of the Private Equity course.

Attachments

• Green Ammonia TCLA.docx
      21.3 KB · Views: 25

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Update:

As COP27 is currently taking place and I have an interest in energy and the environment, I thought it would be interesting to do an article on the green ammonia plants that have been proposed. It's a really interesting idea!

Recession
    The Bank of England (BoE) has already announced that we are in a recession and the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has suggested that the economy will not regain pre-pandemic levels until late 2024. Today, Jeremy Hunt has announced £30bn of spending cuts and £25bn of tax rises to fill a £55bn "fiscal hole". According to 'The Financial Times', this represents the steepest fall in British living standards on record and the highest tax burden since World War II. On an episode of 'Watson's Daily' on Tuesday, one of the podcast hosts (not Peter Watson) suggested that there are no other options for the government and they have had to make a tough decision, but that unfortunately these decisions have to be made. I take great issue with this announcement and the statement on the podcast for the following reasons:
    • Austerity always has, and always will be, a political choice. Not an economic one. The "fiscal hole" is a powerful metaphor which relies on unreliable growth predictions and the governments own targets for cutting debt. Adjust either of these and the "hole" disappears.
    • Austerity makes us poorer. People with less money spend less money, meaning our economy stagnates - this is not good for businesses. Meanwhile, underfunding education and infrastructure prevents us from growing our economy in the future. Furthermore, overstretched services like the NHS mean we are less prepared for emergencies like Covid-19.
    • In the 2010s, austerity was linked to 300,000 excess deaths. Having just come out of a pandemic where hundreds of thousands of lives were lost, the move towards austerity shows the mental wellbeing of the workforce has clearly not been considered, and lessons have not been learned. If the mental wellbeing of the workforce is not looked after, people will end up having to take time off to recover. This stagnates the economy yet again and slows down the ability for us to get through another recession.
    One of the things I have found particularly difficult about this story is the personal implications it has for me and my family. Knowing that these announcements will mean we lose our house unless we all find a second or third job is a terrifying situation to be in. I am really struggling to separate my lived reality from the general economic implications of this announcements and would welcome any suggestions of how to do this better.

If I was in the government's position, instead of austerity, I would do the following:
    • Adjust the targets for cutting debt based on the unexpected global events that have occured over the past few years. A statement like that ought to ensure that the markets do not react too negatively to any increased government debt.
    • Begin heavily investing in infrastructure, particularly in the energy sector (battery storage, carbon capture utilisation and storage etc.). This should increase jobs, pumping money back into the economy so that it can begin to grow again.
    • Heavily invest in our public services including the NHS to ensure that preventative healthcare was maintained throughout the population. This would ease the pressure on this service, meaning that fewer people would get to a place where their condition was more difficult and expensive to treat. To illustrate this, a stage 1 melanoma can be removed fairly easily without a long hospital stay or expensive medications; a stage 4 melanoma, on the other hand, is often a death sentence requiring lengthy hospital and hospice stays, expensive medication, and potential services required for family members afterwards for bereavement or caregiving difficulties.
    • Investment in communities. If you can get to the root cause of why an area has a high rate of crime, you can help prevent crime long-term.
    • Revisit current building regulations to ensure that new builds would be able to function as close to net zero as practicable (solar tiles, living wall etc.). Not only would this cut pollution, but it would ensure energy security in the event of another energy shock as has happened during the Russia-Ukraine war.
    • Take any proposal that I considered to the experts because I disagree with Michael Gove that we have had enough of them. I would ensure that the BoE, OBR, and any other appropriate institutions were involved in the economic decision making, so that all institutions were on the same page.
    These may not be perfect solutions, and not everyone will agree with them, but to me this demonstrates that there are other options - austerity is NOT the only option and people are going to lose everything they have because of these announcements. These people are more than just a number. As I said previously, I am really struggling to separate my personal stake in this matter from looking at the announcement objectively, so I would appreciate another view on this. Perhaps there is an alternative way to think about this @RANDOTRON ?

Targeted Applications
    Today I submitted the application I researched over the weekend. My plan is to reseach and submit one more before the weekend, and a further application next week ahead of December deadlines. I am pretty busy at the moment, but I think I have carved out enough time to be able to do this. All of these firms fulfil all of the criteria I set myself. I plan to start and complete my application for Akin Gump in a fortnight ahead of my vacation scheme with NRF as I want to be totally focused on NRF during my time there.

TCLA Courses
    I have been completing the 'Coverting Your Vacation Scheme into a Training Contract' course. I have found this very helpful and it has eased my anxiety about my upcoming vacation scheme. I am trying really hard not to read too deeply into any figures about the conversion rate of the vacation scheme to a training contract as I don't want to be worrying over something I have no control over. I have also done a bit more of the Private Equity course.

Hi ! I love hearing about your journey. Thanks for sharing! you are keeping me motivated for my applications :) wish you all the very best!

Reactions: HLL and j.s.cox

Mohamed Ashour

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 20, 2022
    Hi @j.s.cox

Your articles: I have read them all and found them insightful and actually studied them and read the articles. I actually have a deep interest in energy as whole, so I took a special look into your last article, and I'd like to discuss this topic with you further if you wish of course.

Recession and Austerity measures:
    I read your last post a couple times before I decided to write so pls bear with me.
    • after some research I found some compelling evidence about your argument on austerity. austerity is a choice; indeed, things could be going a lot differently if it focused on growth but Truss with her not so much wide "imagination" tried a Thatcher 2.0 and even didn't try to prepare the market for it and so paved the way for the austerity boys to march in and they actually didn't repeat that mistake and fed the market with enough leaks, so they don't get "surprised" again.
    • I can go on with further arguments on how austerity sucks and the right questions aren't being asked. or how Spain is reintroducing it's "solidarity tax" on the wealthy, something the UK could really copy but I didn't come here to agree with you or discuss austerity (but I'd be glad to do so on another occasion with some good research and back 'n forth arguments!)

More on you then:
    • this is my highlight for your last post. apparently, this doesn't pose well for your family. so, I know I'm not in your situation and can't possibly say that I ever understand that's why I'll focus on you as an individual, this TC journey of ours is far from a challenge it's overwhelming, you take this goal onto your head knowing that only you see the goal, only you see the manifestation of this dream in your thoughts because others would frown at our goals and dreams when they listen to it even if they show their support.
    • correct me if I'm wrong, you created this goal, shaped your own road form a mist of uncertainty and heavy weight competition from thousands, you were overwhelmed many times over and over, but your desire and self-motivation carried you through just like I'm trying right now. maybe because you don't want to fail or a childhood dream perhaps or a bit of both? it doesn't matter as long as you keep fighting.
    • you have achieved so much already and I'm actually learning form you now and that is a strong feat (others apparently) with NRF VC ahead of you so keep your focus on it, your hard work WILL pay off and it's paying off already!
    • on the matter of your home, (forgive my eastern upbringing I'll be emotional here) that is not settled just yet, you'll survive and not going to lose your home just yet. leave the door open for some hope. things can change very quickly and maybe for the better, who knows for sure? is it a cliche to say things are going to get better? you're not alone at this everyone stands to lose from these events (our inflation just hit 18%) but a little bit of hope won't hurt anyone...
    I'll be waiting to hear you got your TC as a starter for better news after this autumn statement!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Update:

Recession

Targeted Applications

TCLA Courses

Well done on presenting your thoughts incredibly succinctly @j.s.cox 👏 👏 👏 You've clearly researched this topic incredibly well and have a good understanding of the options at hand and their implications. I especially liked how you framed your argument for the NHS.

My only recommendation for you, if you are planning to discuss this in your TC interviews/applications, is to ensure that you bring in an angle where you consider the impact these decisions may have on law firms and their clients- who loses the most and how can you as their lawyer help mitigate this? Conversely, who may win in such a scenario and how can you help explore any opportunities that may come out of this? This will demonstrate that you're able to identify the stakeholders here and how they may be impacted and what your role as a solicitor may be each scenario.

How did you get along with your applications? And when does NRF begin?

Completely agree with you- absolutely no point worrying about vac scheme to TC conversion rates. These vary year to year and firm to firm and there is little to nothing you can do about them, so best to focus your energies on making high quality apps instead.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for your confidence in me @Mohamed Ashour! I'm sure that seeking out ways to improve your commercial awareness undoubtedly makes you a stronger candidate too.

I've detailed my commercial awareness journey throughout this thread, but here is a summary for your ease:

Time taken to develop commercial awareness
    My real efforts for developing my commercial awareness started in around late September (so about 1.5 months ago). I wouldn't say I am completely commercially aware at the moment, but there was a turning point about 1 month into my journey where I begun to really enjoy actively improving my commercial awareness beyond a simple goal. For me, this is an ongoing process that I'm not sure will ever end.

How I am developing my commercial awareness
    In terms of legal jargon and understanding broader concepts (e.g. derivatives, quatitative easing, equity), I started with the TCLA Course "Develop Your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More". I see you have a Gold Membership, so you should be able to access this. It is an incredible resource and is a great base from which to further develop commercial awareness. I think it is important that you take this slowly (I didn't move onto the next lecture until I fully understood the previous one). I also think this should only be a starting point. If there is an explanation you don't fully understand, research it further using other resources (e.g. I didn't fully understand The Financial Crisis 2007-8, so I watched 'The Big Short' to consolidate my understanding). I have also started a glossary for any terminology that I don't understand.

In terms of news stories, I go about this in two different ways. Firstly, I have selected a sector that really interests me and I actively seek out information about this sector. I have signed up to sector-specific newsletters so I am always up to date. Secondly, I keep abreast of the current news. I do this by reading through email newsletters, listening to daily podcasts and scrolling through the FT instead of social media. I'll compile a list of sources I use below. I don't check all of them every day. Instead I pick 2-4 sources to use because I found using only one source, or the same sources, really made me bored. I try to understand the stories and their implication on the business world and law firms. To encourage me to do this, I write one article in my own words each week detailing this (please see articles attached throughout this thread). I keep an eye on any updates to the articles I read to keep my knowledge up to date.

My favourite news story commercial awareness sources
    • Newsletters:
      • TCLA Newsletter
      • MarketLoop
      • Finimize
      • FT Energy Source
      • LittleLaw
      • Touristy
      • LinkedIn Newsletters like The Economist
    • Podcasts:
      • FT News Briefing
      • Watson's Daily
      • Wake Up to Money
      • Law firm specific podcasts (just search their names up on your favourite podcast provider)
    • News Outlets
      • The Economist (good for simple breakdown)
      • The Financial Times (my favourite as I get to practice legal jargon as well)
      • BBC Business News
      • Reuters (usually use this to follow up on a specific story).

I think you've hit the nail on the head with 'enjoying' the commercial awareness journey. If you can find the areas that interest you the most and genuinely enjoy it, it'll show in the effort you put in and the quality of your answers.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi @j.s.cox

Your articles: I have read them all and found them insightful and actually studied them and read the articles. I actually have a deep interest in energy as whole, so I took a special look into your last article, and I'd like to discuss this topic with you further if you wish of course.

Recession and Austerity measures:
    I read your last post a couple times before I decided to write so pls bear with me.
    • after some research I found some compelling evidence about your argument on austerity. austerity is a choice; indeed, things could be going a lot differently if it focused on growth but Truss with her not so much wide "imagination" tried a Thatcher 2.0 and even didn't try to prepare the market for it and so paved the way for the austerity boys to march in and they actually didn't repeat that mistake and fed the market with enough leaks, so they don't get "surprised" again.
    • I can go on with further arguments on how austerity sucks and the right questions aren't being asked. or how Spain is reintroducing it's "solidarity tax" on the wealthy, something the UK could really copy but I didn't come here to agree with you or discuss austerity (but I'd be glad to do so on another occasion with some good research and back 'n forth arguments!)

More on you then:
    • this is my highlight for your last post. apparently, this doesn't pose well for your family. so, I know I'm not in your situation and can't possibly say that I ever understand that's why I'll focus on you as an individual, this TC journey of ours is far from a challenge it's overwhelming, you take this goal onto your head knowing that only you see the goal, only you see the manifestation of this dream in your thoughts because others would frown at our goals and dreams when they listen to it even if they show their support.
    • correct me if I'm wrong, you created this goal, shaped your own road form a mist of uncertainty and heavy weight competition from thousands, you were overwhelmed many times over and over, but your desire and self-motivation carried you through just like I'm trying right now. maybe because you don't want to fail or a childhood dream perhaps or a bit of both? it doesn't matter as long as you keep fighting.
    • you have achieved so much already and I'm actually learning form you now and that is a strong feat (others apparently) with NRF VC ahead of you so keep your focus on it, your hard work WILL pay off and it's paying off already!
    • on the matter of your home, (forgive my eastern upbringing I'll be emotional here) that is not settled just yet, you'll survive and not going to lose your home just yet. leave the door open for some hope. things can change very quickly and maybe for the better, who knows for sure? is it a cliche to say things are going to get better? you're not alone at this everyone stands to lose from these events (our inflation just hit 18%) but a little bit of hope won't hurt anyone...
    I'll be waiting to hear you got your TC as a starter for better news after this autumn statement!
    Hi @Mohamed Ashour

I'd love to discuss any articles with you further. I'm happy to discuss it here or as a DM. My special interest is in energy and the environment, so perhaps we could help develop each other's knowledge in this area? I also totally agree with you on Truss paving the way for austerity and I'd be really happy to have a back and forth about that too. Perhaps we could arrange a video call to discuss it all and our journeys more generally?

Thank you so much for your support in this post. It really gave me the boost I needed and I will definitely keep fighting for the goals I have set myself. I hope to hear of you VS and TC successes in the near future too!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Mohamed Ashour and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @Mohamed Ashour

I'd love to discuss any articles with you further. I'm happy to discuss it here or as a DM. My special interest is in energy and the environment, so perhaps we could help develop each other's knowledge in this area? I also totally agree with you on Truss paving the way for austerity and I'd be really happy to have a back and forth about that too. Perhaps we could arrange a video call to discuss it all and our journeys more generally?

Thank you so much for your support in this post. It really gave me the boost I needed and I will definitely keep fighting for the goals I have set myself. I hope to hear of you VS and TC successes in the near future too!
    Loving the collaborative spirit @j.s.cox! Can assure you that this is one of those rare qualities that instantly sets people apart- I really hope you keep it up and that you and @Mohamed Ashour end up discussing more articles in the future!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Mohamed Ashour and j.s.cox

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Well done on presenting your thoughts incredibly succinctly @j.s.cox 👏 👏 👏 You've clearly researched this topic incredibly well and have a good understanding of the options at hand and their implications. I especially liked how you framed your argument for the NHS.

My only recommendation for you, if you are planning to discuss this in your TC interviews/applications, is to ensure that you bring in an angle where you consider the impact these decisions may have on law firms and their clients- who loses the most and how can you as their lawyer help mitigate this? Conversely, who may win in such a scenario and how can you help explore any opportunities that may come out of this? This will demonstrate that you're able to identify the stakeholders here and how they may be impacted and what your role as a solicitor may be each scenario.

How did you get along with your applications? And when does NRF begin?

Completely agree with you- absolutely no point worrying about vac scheme to TC conversion rates. These vary year to year and firm to firm and there is little to nothing you can do about them, so best to focus your energies on making high quality apps instead.
    Hi @AvniD

Recession and Autumn Statement
    To understand how this will impact law firms and their clients, I think it is important to understand how this will affect individuals:
    • In general, those who are middle-class and earning money in the range of the tax brackets that have changed will be the most affected by the Autumn Statement.
    • The wealthiest individuals will be largely unaffected by the Autum Statement. Even though the amount of extra money they now owe the government has increased to a mind-boggling amount, it is still only a tiny fraction of their overall wealth.
    • The poorest individuals will be slightly better off due to the supports put in place by the government. These supports are not so substantial as to be likely to fundamentally change their spending habits.
    • Those who are renting are much worse off than those who own their house. Rent prices are rapidly increasing and people are likely to be priced out of areas that they live in.
    The impact this has on law firms is directly linked to how their clients will be affected:
    • The businesses that will likely be most affected are those who have products and services that are nice to have, but not essential (e.g. paid for streaming services, mid-tier retail, mid-tier restaurants). These businesses are likely to require financial help, and restructuring and insolvency advice. Law firm departments that deal with these issues and type of work can expect a busier period. They may also need to lay off staff, suspend pay raises, or suspend hiring to help with cash flow problems which will involve employment teams in law firms.
    • Budget products and services are likely to see a bit more consumer activity, this means that businesses may be stocking up on theses products or services. These decisions will largely be taken by management teams and are unlikely to involve law firm expertise, but it is important that law firms are boradly aware of these actions to help advise these businesses in the long term.
    • The very highest end products are unlikely to see a great change in consumer activity, so law firms advising on these are unlikely to be doing anything drastically differently.
    • With increases in rent and energy, some businesses may attempt to streamline their services. This could involve offloading any under-utlised office spaces and employing more of a hybrid or remote work environment. This will involve real estate teams and employment advice, especially if this changes the terms of any employment contracts.
      • As an aside, I read an article about how Musk's new work policy (i.e. you must work in an office) has been challenged by disabled workers who say the new policies are discriminatory. This may lead to litigation, so litigation teams and dispute resolution teams ought to be prepared for more work. Litigation is quite expensive, however, so for more sensible businesses, they may be even more proactive in staying away from litigation and focusing on broader dispute resolution for contentious issues.
    • Although renters are worse off than home-owners, many people will not be able to be in the privileged position of a homeowner as it requiires a lot of cash upfront. Furthermore, some people will have been forced to sell their home due to financial situations, but they will still need a place to live. Therefore, (despite the astronomical costs) people are more likely to be renting. This is an opportunity for real estate lawyers and landlords, especially as there may be situaions where people are unable to rent whole houses. This means more money for landlords and more work for real estate lawyers who may be in a situation where they are letting out rooms in houses of multiple occupancy rather than whole houses/flats.
    • Due to planned public spending cuts and historic wage stagnation in the public sector, there is likely to be strike action (as has already been happening). This will give work to firms that specialise in the public sector, and will specifically utilise employment teams. It is also an opportunity for those in the private sector. For example, many NHS workers have moved to agencies where they are paid better and have better benefits than the NHS. Every time there is a worker shortage in the NHS, these agency workers are brought in (at a crippling cost to the NHS) to maintain NHS services. Law firms could be involved in negotiating the contracts for bringing these workers into public entities.
    • There could be a potential for more M&A work for lawyers as foreign businesses, such as those in the US, look for opportunitties to purchase companies with a lot of potential for a cheap price. They may find that in the UK, so law firms with expertise in cross-border deals may see more work.
    I'm sure there are many other impacts and opportunities for clients/law firms, but these are the main ones I can think about. Thanks for steering me in a direction that helps me think about the importance this has to law firms, it has really helped me to think about the story more critically!

Applications
    I have almost finished the application I started at the weekend. I plan to finish that today and then start work on the next one. The grind never stops! My NRF vacation scheme starts on 5th December and ends 16th December. In preparation:
    • I am researching the potential seats I will be sitting in (projects, corporate energy, or corporate life sciences). I want to make sure I am up to date on what these entail and what the firm has been doing in these areas.
    • I have a Google alert set for the firm so I stay up-to-date a bit more generally.
    • I have put together a bag, notebook and pen as well as questions I will ask myself at the end of each day to write up.
    • I am researching previous experiences of NRF vacation schemes.
    • I am keeping myself interview ready with my booklet and going through the TCLA question bank.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Mohamed Ashour

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @AvniD

Recession and Autumn Statement
    To understand how this will impact law firms and their clients, I think it is important to understand how this will affect individuals:
    • In general, those who are middle-class and earning money in the range of the tax brackets that have changed will be the most affected by the Autumn Statement.
    • The wealthiest individuals will be largely unaffected by the Autum Statement. Even though the amount of extra money they now owe the government has increased to a mind-boggling amount, it is still only a tiny fraction of their overall wealth.
    • The poorest individuals will be slightly better off due to the supports put in place by the government. These supports are not so substantial as to be likely to fundamentally change their spending habits.
    • Those who are renting are much worse off than those who own their house. Rent prices are rapidly increasing and people are likely to be priced out of areas that they live in.
    The impact this has on law firms is directly linked to how their clients will be affected:
    • The businesses that will likely be most affected are those who have products and services that are nice to have, but not essential (e.g. paid for streaming services, mid-tier retail, mid-tier restaurants). These businesses are likely to require financial help, and restructuring and insolvency advice. Law firm departments that deal with these issues and type of work can expect a busier period. They may also need to lay off staff, suspend pay raises, or suspend hiring to help with cash flow problems which will involve employment teams in law firms.
    • Budget products and services are likely to see a bit more consumer activity, this means that businesses may be stocking up on theses products or services. These decisions will largely be taken by management teams and are unlikely to involve law firm expertise, but it is important that law firms are boradly aware of these actions to help advise these businesses in the long term.
    • The very highest end products are unlikely to see a great change in consumer activity, so law firms advising on these are unlikely to be doing anything drastically differently.
    • With increases in rent and energy, some businesses may attempt to streamline their services. This could involve offloading any under-utlised office spaces and employing more of a hybrid or remote work environment. This will involve real estate teams and employment advice, especially if this changes the terms of any employment contracts.
      • As an aside, I read an article about how Musk's new work policy (i.e. you must work in an office) has been challenged by disabled workers who say the new policies are discriminatory. This may lead to litigation, so litigation teams and dispute resolution teams ought to be prepared for more work. Litigation is quite expensive, however, so for more sensible businesses, they may be even more proactive in staying away from litigation and focusing on broader dispute resolution for contentious issues.
    • Although renters are worse off than home-owners, many people will not be able to be in the privileged position of a homeowner as it requiires a lot of cash upfront. Furthermore, some people will have been forced to sell their home due to financial situations, but they will still need a place to live. Therefore, (despite the astronomical costs) people are more likely to be renting. This is an opportunity for real estate lawyers and landlords, especially as there may be situaions where people are unable to rent whole houses. This means more money for landlords and more work for real estate lawyers who may be in a situation where they are letting out rooms in houses of multiple occupancy rather than whole houses/flats.
    • Due to planned public spending cuts and historic wage stagnation in the public sector, there is likely to be strike action (as has already been happening). This will give work to firms that specialise in the public sector, and will specifically utilise employment teams. It is also an opportunity for those in the private sector. For example, many NHS workers have moved to agencies where they are paid better and have better benefits than the NHS. Every time there is a worker shortage in the NHS, these agency workers are brought in (at a crippling cost to the NHS) to maintain NHS services. Law firms could be involved in negotiating the contracts for bringing these workers into public entities.
    • There could be a potential for more M&A work for lawyers as foreign businesses, such as those in the US, look for opportunitties to purchase companies with a lot of potential for a cheap price. They may find that in the UK, so law firms with expertise in cross-border deals may see more work.
    I'm sure there are many other impacts and opportunities for clients/law firms, but these are the main ones I can think about. Thanks for steering me in a direction that helps me think about the importance this has to law firms, it has really helped me to think about the story more critically!

Applications
    I have almost finished the application I started at the weekend. I plan to finish that today and then start work on the next one. The grind never stops! My NRF vacation scheme starts on 5th December and ends 16th December. In preparation:
    • I am researching the potential seats I will be sitting in (projects, corporate energy, or corporate life sciences). I want to make sure I am up to date on what these entail and what the firm has been doing in these areas.
    • I have a Google alert set for the firm so I stay up-to-date a bit more generally.
    • I have put together a bag, notebook and pen as well as questions I will ask myself at the end of each day to write up.
    • I am researching previous experiences of NRF vacation schemes.
    • I am keeping myself interview ready with my booklet and going through the TCLA question bank.
    Points in your analysis that really stood out to me-
    • The businesses that will likely be most affected are those who have products and services that are nice to have, but not essential (e.g. paid for streaming services, mid-tier retail, mid-tier restaurants).
      • As far as I know, these are generally termed as 'consumer discretionary goods' and you are absolutely right, their sales and consumption will definitely be impacted negatively.
    • With increases in rent and energy, some businesses may attempt to streamline their services.
      • Absolutely true! Take gym chains like Nuffield for example, they've cut down on providing steam room/sauna/jacuzzi/heated pools because of the energy crisis and decisions like this could impact their memberships and revenue that they bring in.
    • This could involve offloading any under-utlised office spaces and employing more of a hybrid or remote work environment. This will involve real estate teams and employment advice, especially if this changes the terms of any employment contracts.
      • Could this mean more opportunities for co-working spaces and brands focusing on home office furniture and tech?
    • Every time there is a worker shortage in the NHS, these agency workers are brought in (at a crippling cost to the NHS) to maintain NHS services. Law firms could be involved in negotiating the contracts for bringing these workers into public entities.
      • Could this also mean more opportunities for migrant workers? Will there be an aspect of immigration/employment law work?
    • There could be a potential for more M&A work for lawyers as foreign businesses, such as those in the US, look for opportunitties to purchase companies with a lot of potential for a cheap price.
      • Absolutely on point! If these companies with potential aren't able to reap profits or generate adequate revenue, then they could be subject to a distressed sale that M&A lawyers, and PE lawyers more specifically, could be engaged in.
    Super impressed with your NRF prep👏- I think you will be just fine!! I wish you all the best for the scheme 😊

• 🏆
    Reactions: j.s.cox, Erin and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.