TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
The goal here is to talk about life experiences that have helped create or develop character traits in you that are transferable and useful in any situation in life- think things like resilience, creativity, integrity, empathy, self-assuredness etc.

I also really do think you can talk about whatever you like, whether it is mental illness or other trauma, but the focus needs to be on how it shaped you to be the person you are today (i.e. your character), rather than the illness or trauma itself. It can be a fine line, which is why ensuring that you get your answer reviewed by someone else is important.

I hope this helps!
Hi, this is very interesting! I have a follow-up question regarding mentioning mental illness or similar things. Let's say I have had to battle with undiagnosed ADHD throughout my life and a few years back I received a diagnosis, allowing me to work through the symptoms, understand myself better, receive medication and increase my productivity.

Obviously, I would have to phrase this in a way that is appropriate and insightful, but provided I do this, do you think it could still be a bad idea to mention having ADHD at that stage? I am thinking that after all, it is not something that one can "heal" from, and therefore it is possible that the recruiters would still consider this as a sign that the applicant is less hard-working and might have a harder time working long hours or doing the more "boring" tasks...

What would you advise? Should I avoid mentioning it? And if I still did, should I emphasize the good sides like being energetic, curious, out-of-the-box thinking etc... even though it might sound like I am admitting that efficiency/focus/prioritization/punctuality are not my strengths...?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the very specific question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just seen train strikes have been announced for 13th-14th December, so I'm a bit concerned I won't be able to make it to the Slaughter and May winter workshop. I'm guessing plenty of others will be in the same boat - does anyone have experience with what the firm might do (if anything) in this situation?
I would contact the firm to highlight this and see what they say.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Will do this tomorrow - thanks!
They are probably aware of it and trying to think about how best to deal with it. They may move the scheme or just offer to cover additional travel costs/overnight accommodation to try and make it more practical for people to attend.

Reactions: gw9

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Still waiting for Sidley to communicate me the outcome of my interview (guaranteed it’s a PFO as they have given out many offers and the scheme starts in less than 3 weeks). It’s been 2 weeks now since my interview and have sent an email yesterday with no response. I find it really disrespectful tbh as I have taken the time to apply and attend the interview, while working full time. To top it up, they rescheduled my interview to a different day at very short notice - another a sign of disrespect. This just confirms to me the negative vibe I got from them. I was expecting a better treatment from such a top firm, and I am quite disappointed ☹️

(Apologies for the rant)

crispychicken

Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 29, 2021
Hey, has anyone had any experience with Withers (vs, tc, ie etc.) and would be willing to tell me a little bit about the firm?

Totally unrelated to applications, I’m just genuinely curious about the firm’s culture and its deals.
Hi I'm a future trainee. Feel free to drop me any questions you have.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hey everyone, does anyone know if Sullivan & Cromwell placing my application on hold is a good sign?
    Has anyone already been invited to interview?
    Looking at previous threads on this topics and having my application put on hold, it is a good sign! Others have received a PFO, now what the "on hold" means... idk. But my guess (which I'm making after having spoken to other GR teams) is that they put the applications of hold if they like them, therefore creating a 'long list', then after having an application pool and sussing out what the level is, they consider the application further towards the application deadline, 13 January 2023, at which time they will advise you as to whether or not you have been shortlisted for interview.

TL;DR following the principle of it ain't bad news unless you've been rejected, it's good news!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and refy

Sc924

Nov 25, 2021
    Does this on Baker McKenzie's app form mean only 2nd years can apply for a VS? The second sentence contradicts the first for some reason
    Final year law and non law students and graduates are eligible to apply for this vacancy.
    The Spring vacation scheme is open to penultimate year students or those on the second year of a four year course. Please confirm that you fall into one of these categories.

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Does this on Baker McKenzie's app form mean only 2nd years can apply for a VS? The second sentence contradicts the first for some reason
    Final year law and non law students and graduates are eligible to apply for this vacancy.
    The Spring vacation scheme is open to penultimate year students or those on the second year of a four year course. Please confirm that you fall into one of these categories.

No, final years and graduates can apply too. I've heard questions to grad rec about this many times, not sure why they haven't changed the wording yet haha

Reactions: Jessica Booker

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    I read it as an enlargement of the scope of applicants.

- Like for VS in general it is: final year law + final year non law
    - SPRING VS: final year law/non law AND penultimate year students + second year of four year course...

@Jessica Booker ???

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.