Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t know if I’m reading too much into this but I just got an email after completing last stage of application process (written exercise) saying that my application is still under review but asking me to confirm my availability for the scheme, is this a good sign 🤨

It maybe where they are used to candidates getting other offers, and so want to check people are still available to attend the scheme.

Reactions: lw2000

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
One of the Pinsent Masons VS applications questions is What are the things that have shaped you into the person you are today?

What are they looking for with this? Obviously the things that really shaped me are the things I can't really put on an application like mental illness, trauma etc. All I can think of is my year abroad, but would need to think of something else too. Could I write about books/films/TV shows, or is that too superficial?

Thank you!
The goal here is to talk about life experiences that have helped create or develop character traits in you that are transferable and useful in any situation in life- think things like resilience, creativity, integrity, empathy, self-assuredness etc.

I also really do think you can talk about whatever you like, whether it is mental illness or other trauma, but the focus needs to be on how it shaped you to be the person you are today (i.e. your character), rather than the illness or trauma itself. It can be a fine line, which is why ensuring that you get your answer reviewed by someone else is important.

I hope this helps!

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I got accepted onto the Skadden open day tmr but I also have a WVS interview. Is there anything I can do? Worth contacting grad rec and asking to attend something else? Or I will jsut have to miss the open day?

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I got accepted onto the Skadden open day tmr but I also have a WVS interview. Is there anything I can do? Worth contacting grad rec and asking to attend something else? Or I will jsut have to miss the open day?
Do the open day and interview clash time-wise? If yes, I'd email Skadden to apologise and let them know that you have a conflicting appointment that you need to prioritise and request if you can be shifted on to another open day in the future, if at all possible. I would prioritise the vac scheme interview for sure!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Do the open day and interview clash time-wise? If yes, I'd email Skadden to apologise and let them know that you have a conflicting appointment that you need to prioritise and request if you can be shifted on to another open day in the future, if at all possible. I would prioritise the vac scheme interview for sure!
Yes it clashes, very unfortunate.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Yes it clashes, very unfortunate.
That is unfortunate indeed! You have two great opportunities and I guess you'll just have to pick the one that's most important! You could ask the Skadden grad rec if you could be excused for the timeframe during the open day that you need to attend the interview, but I suspect that this may be distracting for you and may interfere with your focus. I hope you're able to make a decision that suits you and wish you the very best- I'm sure you'll do well!

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Just seen train strikes have been announced for 13th-14th December, so I'm a bit concerned I won't be able to make it to the Slaughter and May winter workshop. I'm guessing plenty of others will be in the same boat - does anyone have experience with what the firm might do (if anything) in this situation?

Reactions: cls33
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.