TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Hi, so from the Legal Cheek Law Fair today someone asked that question in the chat and Grad Rec basically said they review on a rolling basis but don't offer interviews until after the deadline, so being placed on hold means they like your application but can't offer you an interview yet, so definitely a positive sign!
    Oh that’s good news, thank you so much for clarifying!

• 🤝
    Reactions: readylawyer1

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    If cost is a major consideration, then consider staying somewhere on the ThamesLink line (north - south) or Crossrail (east-west) lines further out. The trains will be regular enough to get you into the city but it will probably be 40-60% cheaper than staying locally.
    Hi @Jessica Booker on the topic of accommodation and costs of participating in a vac scheme - I was wondering what is the best way to approach discussing an additional bursary for accommodation and travel costs if I'm not from London? I go to uni up north and need to get the train to London + get an AirBnB in London to attend a winter vac scheme.

I've always been reluctant to discuss this with grad rec as the amount we are paid is technically enough to cover travel, accommodation and living costs, so I'm definitely not having to fork out any of my own savings just to attend the scheme. And I suppose that's the whole point of paying vac schemers a salary to start with - to cover the cost of those coming from outside London. But at the same time accommodation alone has costed half of my salary for the scheme and it would be great if I can save a bit more from what I am earning on the scheme instead of spending almost all of it just on accommodation travel and food for the two weeks.

Is it rude to ask for extra allowance just to reimburse (at least partially) some of my accommodation/travel costs even though the salary we're paid is technically enough to cover all of it?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker on the topic of accommodation and costs of participating in a vac scheme - I was wondering what is the best way to approach discussing an additional bursary for accommodation and travel costs if I'm not from London? I go to uni up north and need to get the train to London + get an AirBnB in London to attend a winter vac scheme.

I've always been reluctant to discuss this with grad rec as the amount we are paid is technically enough to cover travel, accommodation and living costs, so I'm definitely not having to fork out any of my own savings just to attend the scheme. And I suppose that's the whole point of paying vac schemers a salary to start with - to cover the cost of those coming from outside London. But at the same time accommodation alone has costed half of my salary for the scheme and it would be great if I can save a bit more from what I am earning on the scheme instead of spending almost all of it just on accommodation travel and food for the two weeks.

Is it rude to ask for extra allowance just to reimburse (at least partially) some of my accommodation/travel costs even though the salary we're paid is technically enough to cover all of it?
    Oh I wish I’d considered doing this previously! For my Summer vac last year, I actually ended up paying to attend the scheme, because my expenditure was more than my salary for the two weeks!
    [Replying so I (hopefully) receive notifications for any replies relating to this!]

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

The Akin Gump website contains the following words:

“Tell us in your own words what attracts you to Akin Gump and how our practices and client focus match your own commercial interests and career aspirations. (Don’t waste the application word count telling us facts we already know about our firm.)”

With that in mind, do you think it would be okay (or, for that matter, preferable) to link either of the following application questions to Akin Gump (i.e. through connecting bits of my answer to things about Akin Gump, like the small trainee intakes, its strength in restructuring, etc)?

• What motivates you to pursue a career as a commercial Solicitor? Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin Gump
    • What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
    Thanks in advance!

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anybody know if firms you have committed to joining for Vac Scheme send ULaw or BPP your info? I got an email from one of them this morning about enrolling in the PGDL/SQE course and I never requested information. I find it curious that I just accepted a Summer VS at a firm and then I get this email. Thanks.
    Really couldn't happen from a data protection perspective. I think this is just coincidence. Also, if it is on your LinkedIn that you are an incoming vac schemer, BPP/ULaw could have farmed your data off their rather than via your firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm has rolling recruitment and you apply too late to be considered for the Spring scheme, will the firm automatically consider your application for the Summer scheme?
    Only if it is the same application and you have selected your interest in both schemes. If you have to make two separate applications, then this is unlikely to happen.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Only if it is the same application and you have selected your interest in both schemes. If you have to make two separate applications, then this is unlikely to happen.
    So if a firm’s deadline is in week, and they're rolling, should I submit my application for the Summer scheme instead? The Spring deadline is 1st Dec, and the Summer deadline is 31st Jan. I was hoping to send my application in today. Thanks in advance

Reactions: youngone

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So if a firm’s deadline is in week, and they're rolling, should I submit my application for the Summer scheme instead? The Spring deadline is 1st Dec, and the Summer deadline is 31st Jan. I was hoping to send my application in today. Thanks in advance
    I would apply to the scheme that works best for you. Even if the firm recruits on a rolling basis, the fact that applications are still open shows you still have a chance of securing a spot.

Fuelled By Caffeine

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 3, 2020
    How long do people think is reasonable to wait before contacting a firm regarding the outcome of an AC? I undertook an AC on 11 November and was told that we would get an outcome within the space of a week. I was wondering if it was worth emailing, especially given that I heard that some applicants heard back last week.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How long do people think is reasonable to wait before contacting a firm regarding the outcome of an AC? I undertook an AC on 11 November and was told that we would get an outcome within the space of a week. I was wondering if it was worth emailing, especially given that I heard that some applicants heard back last week.
    I'd follow up on Thursday/Friday of this week as that will be closer to two weeks. Sometimes these things can take a little longer than expected, so I think holding off until then would be a good idea, unless it is for a winter scheme that could be starting in the next few weeks. If it is, then I would chase up now as I am sure you would want to know the outcome to make plans for the next few weeks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.