TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleur269

Standard Member
Dec 4, 2022
Hi everyone. @Jaysen @Jessica Booker I am tagging you both as I feel your knowledge may be helpful if you have time to respond.

I'm currently working on applications for vacation schemes and direct training contracts - depending on which are still open with the relevant firms (US firms like Sidley and international firms, e.g. Simmons and Simmons, Ashurst).

Firstly, I just want to stress that I understand how competitive it is; the US firms offer a small number of places. My concern is my lack of work experience - no vacation schemes, no paralegal roles, no leadership roles in university (i.e. being a head of a committee/sports team). 'Positions of responsibility' are often a substantial chunk of application forms.

Although I can leverage the experiences I do have to their best advantage, these still may be considered insufficient by firms, and I worry that I might not, at this stage, be a viable candidate.

Has anyone else applied without much experience, and had any success?

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
Oct 14, 2022
Hi everyone. @Jaysen @Jessica Booker I am tagging you both as I feel your knowledge may be helpful if you have time to respond.

I'm currently working on applications for vacation schemes and direct training contracts - depending on which are still open with the relevant firms (US firms like Sidley and international firms, e.g. Simmons and Simmons, Ashurst).

Firstly, I just want to stress that I understand how competitive it is; the US firms offer a small number of places. My concern is my lack of work experience - no vacation schemes, no paralegal roles, no leadership roles in university (i.e. being a head of a committee/sports team). 'Positions of responsibility' are often a substantial chunk of application forms.

Although I can leverage the experiences I do have to their best advantage, these still may be considered insufficient by firms, and I worry that I might not, at this stage, be a viable candidate.

I am a final year non-law student, haven't got any law experience (vacation schemes, paralegal, shadowing, etc), and haven't been involved in any university societies or sports - i have some non-law related work experience (internship and a full time job before uni), and have made it past the application stage for 4/5 of the US firms I have applied for and heard back from so far. will say that my academic results have been very strong since GCSE level, and I think that has helped.

D

daisy_yawn

I had no vac schemes, paralegal roles, and only minor leadership roles at university but I managed to do a Winter vac scheme at a US firm last month so definitely possible! Think it's more about showing your interest and commitment to commercial law and showing how your experiences developed soft skills that are applicable to working in a law firm.

fleur269

Standard Member
Dec 4, 2022
I had no vac schemes, paralegal roles, and only minor leadership roles at university but I managed to do a Winter vac scheme at a US firm last month so definitely possible! Think it's more about showing your interest and commitment to commercial law and showing how your experiences developed soft skills that are applicable to working in a law firm.
This is refreshing to hear - thank you for sharing :)

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Was planning on doing my Simmons & Simmons application this weekend but just read somewhere that they fill on a first-come, first-served basis and they close on the 15th, is there still point applying or should I focus my attention on a different application instead?

axbg

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 5, 2023
My application got put on hold (apparently that's a good thing); my cover letter was 398 words with everything included!
mine as well but my cover letter was way longer, 700 words I believe! Waiting to hear if I get rejected or not, hopefully not cause it's one of my top choices! Do you think that there's a lot of competition for the firm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.