Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have asked a GR team of a Firm, and they said I can do a vacation scheme, provided I take a break from my current job as a holiday. Also, The vacation scheme is not considered as a job (internship) because there is no pensions, and you just get paid without paying taxes or national insurance number.
This is what I have been told. The thing is that I am currently in AC stage with couple of firms, so it will be a problem if they don't accept me.

Whoever told you this is incorrect.

The firm will be paying tax and NI for you - the only way they won't be doing so if it is unpaid internship. Every job that pays employees in the UK will be subject to tax and NI - you are not exempt just because of the job title (as otherwise everyone's job title would be intern). You will need an NI number - they cannot employ/pay you without one.

Also, the firm are not looking at this from a visa perspective - they just think you can take leave to attend the vacation scheme. You need to check the terms of your visa carefully as you could be breaking the terms of it if you work for another employer who is not your visa sponsor. A Tier 2 visa is linked to your employer and their right to sponsor you, so going to other forms of employment is not just as simple as taking annual leave.

Shi

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Whoever told you this is incorrect.

The firm will be paying tax and NI for you - the only way they won't be doing so if it is unpaid internship. Every job that pays employees in the UK will be subject to tax and NI - you are not exempt just because of the job title (as otherwise everyone's job title would be intern). You will need an NI number - they cannot employ/pay you without one.

Also, the firm are not looking at this from a visa perspective - they just think you can take leave to attend the vacation scheme. You need to check the terms of your visa carefully as you could be breaking the terms of it if you work for another employer who is not your visa sponsor. A Tier 2 visa is linked to your employer and their right to sponsor you, so going to other forms of employment is not just as simple as taking annual leave.
Hi Jess, on this front, Do I need a NI Number to do vacation schemes? I am an international student on a student visa so can work during vacations, but don't have one NI Number. Should I apply for one?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, on this front, Do I need a NI Number to do vacation schemes? I am an international student on a student visa so can work during vacations, but don't have one NI Number. Should I apply for one?
Yes, you will need an NI number and will need to apply for one should you secure a vacation scheme.

Reactions: AvniD

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Has anyone done a WFW VI before? Received an invite but not too sure what to expect, the email isn't super clear!
I did it last year, they have a random question bank so you can get any two questions. I definitely remember competency questions coming up. But they differed for everyone! Don't think commerical awareness comes up though

• Love
Reactions: Kelly_

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
Nov 9, 2020
I did it last year, they have a random question bank so you can get any two questions. I definitely remember competency questions coming up. But they differed for everyone! Don't think commerical awareness comes up though
Thank you so much! Do you know how much time there is to answer by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.