TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I applied for the Ashurst vac scheme but was a minute late.
On the system, it says that my application was submitted at 12:01 pm, but the deadline for the app was 12 pm (not 12 am like most apps!).
I never quite finished answering one of the questions rushing through the app.
After submission, I received a confirmation email saying that they received my app and another email with the link to the psychometric assessment.
But it also said in the email "our closing date for all applications is 6 January 2023 at 12pm".
Then four days later, I received an email saying that they are going to screen apps until mid-Feb.

Did my application go through???? If not, can I still apply for the direct TC???

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    On the system, it says that my application was submitted at 12:01 pm, but the deadline for the app was 12 pm (not 12 am like most apps!).
    After submission, I received a confirmation email saying that they received my app and another email with the link to the psychometric assessment.
    But it also said in the email "our closing date for all applications is 6 January 2023 at 12pm".
    Then four days later, I received an email saying that they are going to screen apps until mid-Feb.

Did my application go through???? If not, can I still apply for the direct TC???
    I applied to a few vac schemes after the deadline and they went through as well. Hopefully they don't zoom into the exact amount of time we applied after the deadline?

E_3919

Star Member
    Sep 30, 2022
    I wonder whether anyone has any top VI tips?

I’m feeling a bit discouraged after doing 3 now and not passing any of them. I’m a lot more successful with firms that interview you face-to-face immediately!

I’ve read all the top tips I can find and common mistakes people make and am unsure what to do at this point?!

thanks!! :)

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    Hey guys,

Just received an invitation to a VS with a firm (big favourite of mine). But, I have an upcoming AC for another 2-week VS which would have a 2-week overlap with the offer I have received.

Wondering what would be the best approach? I'm not sure whether to
    - Call the firm before my AC, asking to be reconsidered for a direct TC
    - Complete the AC and ask to be reconsidered if I receive a VS Offer
    - Ask if I can complete the first week only if I receive the offer

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks 😊

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023

I’m feeling a bit discouraged after doing 3 now and not passing any of them. I’m a lot more successful with firms that interview you face-to-face immediately!

I’ve read all the top tips I can find and common mistakes people make and am unsure what to do at this point?!

second this, would also love some advice from anyone that has had experience!

Reactions: E_3919

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for how to practice negotiation exercises? Not sure how to prepare for it!
    I don't think you can practice as such, as it generally needs other people to practice the negotiation with. The link provided above I think is really helpful/insightful though.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

second this, would also love some advice from anyone that has had experience!
    So I've had 7 VIs in total over the past 2 cycles, passed 4, failed 1, waiting on 2. Advice would be to jot down your 1-3 main points on a post-it during your prep and put this next to the camera. Also, smile and seem personable! I think I've said some average things in VIs, but I think the way I come across (which is forced ofc, as I'm terrified of being on camera!) has helped me massively. Also, change the pitch of your voice to make a point - I think we do this naturally when speaking to people, but it can help you to be less monotone on a video!

• 🏆
    Reactions: mdoeslaw and HLL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Your application went through.

Reactions: Untilwinter

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

Just received an invitation to a VS with a firm (big favourite of mine). But, I have an upcoming AC for another 2-week VS which would have a 2-week overlap with the offer I have received.

Wondering what would be the best approach? I'm not sure whether to
    - Call the firm before my AC, asking to be reconsidered for a direct TC
    - Complete the AC and ask to be reconsidered if I receive a VS Offer
    - Ask if I can complete the first week only if I receive the offer

Any advice would be much appreciated
    The other option is to renege on the first offer if your preference is for the latest firm.

A few firms let you only do part of a vacation scheme, but it is rare. Most firms will say it is either attend the full scheme or not attend at all. Some firms will convert you to a TC process instead - and obviously, you could request this with either firm. I'd go into any conversations with the firms with an open mind. They will typically have a set response to this (they get asked this all the time, and they will have a set process they will offer you), it will just be whether that meets your expectations or not.

I would probably do the AC and then deal with any necessary conversations you need to have from there. If it wasn't a "big favourite" choice, then I would say to speak to them ahead of your AC, but given this is clearly a firm you have a strong interest in, I would see how it goes first and then deal with the outcomes as needed.

Reactions: jackismall

E_3919

Star Member
    Sep 30, 2022
    So I've had 7 VIs in total over the past 2 cycles, passed 4, failed 1, waiting on 2. Advice would be to jot down your 1-3 main points on a post-it during your prep and put this next to the camera. Also, smile and seem personable! I think I've said some average things in VIs, but I think the way I come across (which is forced ofc, as I'm terrified of being on camera!) has helped me massively. Also, change the pitch of your voice to make a point - I think we do this naturally when speaking to people, but it can help you to be less monotone on a video!
    Thanks so much for your advice!

E_3919

Star Member
    Sep 30, 2022

@Jessica Booker I wonder whether you have a take on this from a GR perspective - what things you look for / what makes you reject someone? Thanks so much! 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I wonder whether you have a take on this from a GR perspective - what things you look for / what makes you reject someone? Thanks so much! 😊
    It is no different to a face-to-face interview - it's the ability to clearly communicate your skill set/motivations/strengths in a persuasive, genuine and enthusiastic manner.

@AvniD has collated some great posts in the past, which are linked here:

Reactions: E_3919 and HLL

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Thank you so so much! If we’ve already done VI’s, should we still expect interviews during the AC? I’m kind of lost about what am AC entails.
    if you’re invited to AC, the firm will most likely tell you about the format of the AC. You can also reach out to future trainee solicitors who have recently done the ac on LinkedIn for advice. Lastly there are pages on the tcla forum in which people who have completed ACs at different firms discuss their experiences. Try a quick search using the search tool above.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.