TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulfuturetrainee24

Jan 17, 2023
How long did it take to hear if you were invited for a TI with Fieldfisher and is anyone still waiting post tests?
If this is direct application I applied with them pretty early, like when they opened up for applications and I got Invited to an interview just before Christmas. I had my interview today but I know they are recruiting rolling and the calendar to book interviews goes right to the end of January, so you might still hear back. Assessment centres will be held mid February I think she said. They go through each application personally and are only a small team so I think it takes them a bit longer than other firms.

Reactions: Sarah T

eash manzar

• Dec 28, 2022
    Hi,

I studied my undergrad LLB in Scotland so I was in a similar position; I always said "no" to that question (because it was not a qualifying law degree in the jurisdiction that the firm was recruiting for/operating in). If there is space on the application form (i.e. a space for 'additional information' in the education section) you could always say for the sake of clarity/context that though it is not a qualifying law degree in England and Wales, it is in X jurisdiction.
    Do you have any tips for Scottish LLB students who are looking to apply to mainly London based corporate law firms?

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    On the age point, I have lost count how many trainees I have recruited in their 30s - many I didn't even clock were in their 30s.

Also had a few trainees in their 40s and at least one in their 50s.

Age really won't be a barrier to get into the profession.
    On an unrelated note, @Jessica Booker have you recruited any international applicants (i.e., LLB from a completely different country than England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland and secondary schooling there as well)? I'm starting to lose hope as an overseas applicant.. Thanks!

• 🤝
    Reactions: stone’sthrow

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On an unrelated note, @Jessica Booker have you recruited any international applicants (i.e., LLB from a completely different country than England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland and secondary schooling there as well)? I'm starting to lose hope as an overseas applicant.. Thanks!
    This is not as straightforward, not because of any discrimination but because of the work visa processes that used to exist.

The UK government made it really difficult to recruit people from outside of the UK/EU (e.g. if you were not transferring from a student visa) for quite a while, I think it was the early 2010s through to 2021 if I remember correctly.

Therefore, pre-Brexit, most of the international applicants who had studied outside of the UK were from the EU because they had the right to work in the UK- and there were enough of them getting TCs. So it was not a foreign education issue that was blocking them from securing TCs. It was just often the work permit requirements were not blocking them, unlike non-EU candidates.

The one benefit of Brexit was the UK government changed the skilled persons visa process in January 2021, making it pretty much as easy to recruit an international student from outside of the UK as it was to recruit an international student studying at a UK university. But we haven't really seen much of that time lag yet - most people recruited in 2021 probably hasn't even started their TC yet, but I suspect in time we will see more international applicants educated outside of the UK represented in trainee intakes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.