Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I thought it may have just been my experience, but does anybody else find it easier to get further/offers for vac schemes off of US firms, as opposed to Magic Circle & HSF.

Starting to wonder whether I'm on some sort of magic circle blacklist :eek:
I don't think it will be easier to get a vacation scheme from a US firm.

It may just be that the MC firms think you might not be suited to them and that you are personally more suited to US firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Seems as though MC firms prefer international students, going off the two ACs I have attended this cycle.
Definitely won't be a preference in MC firms. Just they have such large intakes they will often have to recruit a good number of international students too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah, interesting! Do you think it's because their grad rec has different hiring goals or KPI metrics when it comes to hiring more broadly? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Possibly - or could just be that they get more international applicants, especially from countries where they have offices and US offices don't.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretrainee202X and sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I don't think it will be easier to get a vacation scheme from a US firm.

It may just be that the MC firms think you might not be suited to them and that you are personally more suited to US firms.
    Easier was perhaps the wrong choice of word on my behalf, I mean there seems to be a distinct difference in my progression in US application processes when compared to that of MC firms, which is interesting as I spend a relatively equal amount of effort on the applications I send to the firms top of my list (and on prep for AC's)

An observation really, one that I find puzzling...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Easier was perhaps the wrong choice of word on my behalf, I mean there seems to be a distinct difference in my progression in US application processes when compared to that of MC firms, which is interesting as I spend a relatively equal amount of effort on the applications I send to the firms top of my list (and on prep for AC's)

An observation really, one that I find puzzling...
    From a recruiter's perspective, I don't find this puzzling, I am actually not surprised at all.

I think it is more about you who are as a candidate and how your profile/interests/characteristics are more aligned to US firms than MC firms.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    From a recruiter's perspective, I don't find this puzzling, I am actually not surprised at all.

I think it is more about you who are as a candidate and how your profile/interests/characteristics are more aligned to US firms than MC firms.
    Very true, thanks for your input. It is always great to hear it from the horse's mouth!

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Hey, that's interesting! What's the difference you've observed?
    My experience is that US firms are more “cutthroat” and prefer output over most things - this probably helps lead to their higher profits. I feel like they put emuch more emphasis on psychometrics and grades - my grades are high and I do well on psychometric and I have got past app stage with 6/8 US firms I applied toor something. MC seem more “nicey nicey” and seem to care much more about extra curriculars and diversity of their intake (more broad range of unis etc).

i have found that scoring 99th percentile and having excellent academics doesn’t guarantee getting to AC wjth MC but almost always does with US.

this obviously isn’t to say that you can’t apply to both I just think your profile does have a significant impact on predicting your success with apps between category of firm

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    My experience is that US firms are more “cutthroat” and prefer output over most things - this probably helps lead to their higher profits. I feel like they put emuch more emphasis on psychometrics and grades - my grades are high and I do well on psychometric and I have got past app stage with 6/8 US firms I applied too or something. MC seem more “nicey nicey” and seem to care much more about extra curriculars and diversity of their intake (more broad range of unis etc).

i have found that scoring 99th percentile and having excellent academics doesn’t guarantee getting to AC wjth MC but almost always does with US.
    my grades aren't that high and i feel like actually US firms care more about extracurriculars and a well-rounded 'personality' in general in my experience

dalia66

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2022
    I recently interviewed for a Spring vac scheme last Thurs but have an interview coming up for one with another firm in a couple of days - would it be okay to email grad rec to ask for a quicker response if possible or just wait a little longer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am making a lot of assumptions based on the US and MC firms I have recruited for, but I bet it is more down to things like what your extracurriculars are, what your interests are, your motivations for the work/culture, and specifically what type of work experience you have too.

It won't be consistent across either category of firm but I suspect there are general trends when you are also looking for 80-100 trainees vs less than ten.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: imdeded

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    Would you say its a mixture of good grades AND/OR outstanding extracurricular achievements (barring saving a mountain goat on the Himalayas?)
    i think its a mixture of both, but also you don't necessarily need outstanding extracurriculars (e.g. president of law soc or won a noble peace prize), as long as you're good at explaining what you learnt from that EC and how you made an impact

Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I recently interviewed for a Spring vac scheme last Thurs but have an interview coming up for one with another firm in a couple of days - would it be okay to email grad rec to ask for a quicker response if possible or just wait a little longer?
    Will you withdraw from the second interview if the first is an offer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.