TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
osborne clarke PFO, bit of a blow since i completed my first year scheme with them and they were my favourite firm :(

however, i remain extremely grateful for the fact i have ACs for penningtons manches cooper, HSF and walker morris coming up. it really goes to show how the application processes are extremely subjective and different firms and even recruiters from within firms value different attributes.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
K so what is happening with Orrick? We have to write 500 word cover + all this other stuff? @Jessica Booker what do you recommend putting in the cover letter when substantive skills are to be discussed in the other sections (why Orrick, why commercial law, tell us about a time when).

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
K so what is happening with Orrick? We have to write 500 word cover + all this other stuff? @Jessica Booker what do you recommend putting in the cover letter when substantive skills are to be discussed in the other sections (why Orrick, why commercial law, tell us about a time when).

Thanks
Hi @jomar

The cover letter is for anything the candidate hasn't been able to mention in the other application questions and/or serves as a general summary of their application, without repeating too much that they have already said. As long as it reads a little different and has a clear structure, primarily covering 'why me?', as well as any points for 'why Orrick?' Seems logical alongside anything else you want to mention that naturally hasn’t fitted into other questions.

One of my bits of advice for cover letters like this is to focus the "why Orrick" question on the work and the opportunity (e.g. their clients/sectors and the TC opportunity) and then put more of the fluffy stuff, like the firm's culture/pro bono/CSR/Diversity etc in the cover letter instead (eg why it’s a good place to work/aligns with you/your values).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.