TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    If a firm says they'll contribute towards accommodation if you're outside of London, does anyone know approximately what percentage that is? Also, does that include those staying in London for the duration of the vacation scheme but coming from overseas?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    If a firm says they'll contribute towards accommodation if you're outside of London, does anyone know approximately what percentage that is? Also, does that include those staying in London for the duration of the vacation scheme but coming from overseas?
    It differs for each firm. I would email to check.

Reactions: Aga123+

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would say it accounts for anyone who can’t commute into or live in London easily, whether they are an international student or not.

I doubt it will be a percentage - it’s more likely to be a fixed figure that everyone gets if they meet certain criteria.

Reactions: Aga123+

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from Flex legal? Sent an email a while ago but they have not yet responded.
    For Flex Trainee or for paralegal work? If the former, send me a reminder email. If the latter, please feel free to email me at [email protected] anyway and I can pass on to the relevant member of the team.

anon_law23

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hi guys, I am hoping to get some advice on how suitable of a candidate I am for a corporate or commercial TC/VS. I graduated from King's with a high 2.1 in a non-law degree in 2020 and took a year out. I then studied the GDL at BPP (achieved a high merit) and I am now completing the LPC. I have been active in a number of societies but have very minimal/no work experience. I have also never completed a VS (but I do intend to paralegal for a bit after graduating from the LPC). I have been putting off VS and direct TC applications for the last two years because of 1) fear, 2) thinking I don't have what it takes to get an offer and 3) not having enough work experience to pad out my applications.

I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what they think I can aim for as my imposter syndrome is getting the better of me. Are my prospects pretty good - could I aim for a lot of firms (i.e. American, Magic Circle, International, Silver Circle) or are some too far out of reach?

Also if anyone has a TC or has completed a VS with a similar background to me then it would be great to know your experience - it would be really helpful :)

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    Hiya,
    Does anyone have any advice on how to improve on SJTs? I know it's not a straightforward "graded" test, but any advice would be great! it's slightly easier to find tips on WG as that seems to be more common, but I'm having a tough time finding advice on SJTs...

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    Hi all,

A question for those based in London.

Does anyone know of spaces open late at the weekends that could be good to work on applications from?

The libraries I know close at 5pm or so at best, so any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

A question for those based in London.

Does anyone know of spaces open late at the weekends that could be good to work on applications from?

The libraries I know close at 5pm or so at best, so any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Which part of London (N,S,E,W)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: WannaLaw99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'd be happy to travel! Anywhere in zone 2; S if further than that.

My google search just brought back 1 hotel lobby and a bunch of busy cafes, so v open to suggestions.
    Head to the South Bank. You can often find quieter part of either the BFI Reuben Library (open on Saturdays until 7), The National Theatre (open until 11pm on Saturdays), or the South Bank Centre (Royal Festival Hall) itself. There will be people about, but you can often find quiet spaces and there are charging outlets around too.

If it’s a Sunday, then I’d recommend a hotel lobby. If you are willing to buy an over priced coffee/drink occasionally, hotel lobbies tend to be pretty quiet to work from, are comfortable and warm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.